ok, now i want Sony to release a launcher on PC

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That actually goes for all SP games. Every 3rd Party game never have sold more than 100k - 350k on PC. Like a Dragon 7, Persona 3 R, Final Fantasy games all flopped. Pretty sure FFXVI will have Pretty low numbers too.
Not true, there are a ton of SP million sellers in PC.

As a random related example Sony's PC ports of old SP games feature multiple million sellers (old data from February 2023):
https://gamingbolt.com/horizon-zero...lion-units-on-steam-god-of-war-at-2-5-million

The thing is that compared to consoles, sales in PC are less focused on the launch window of a game, it's more spreaded over time (I'd bet even more in case of full priced ports of old games).

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yuniac

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This isn't true. Baldur's Gate 3 has sold millions on Steam. I'm pretty sure Hades sold at least 1 million on PC, same with Witcher 3. I do agree with the idea that PCMR overstate the platform's role in sales of a lot of AAA 3P games (particularly Japanese ones), but it's incorrect to say every 3P SP game has been a flop on PC, too.

Especially when I just named 3 examples where they sold at least one million on PC alone.

That was the goal from the start; clever/subtle undermining of PlayStation consoles by promoting the PC versions.

But I don't blame Ybarra for this whatsoever; it's 100% Sony's problem they created on their own. All this does is just dilute the potential value of a PS5 Pro, too. That Sony might be holding back on new 1P reveals just to push the Pro is in a way rather sad IMO, especially if the plan for PC ports hasn't changed at all or will just lead to Day 1 for non-GAAS titles too.

Because at that point you're just obfuscating the truth from your most loyal customers just to sell them on something they ultimately might not even need.
how about. we won't use extremes or exception to the rule?
you named 3 games in 9 year period. that doesn't make your point at all.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This isn't true. Baldur's Gate 3 has sold millions on Steam. I'm pretty sure Hades sold at least 1 million on PC, same with Witcher 3. I do agree with the idea that PCMR overstate the platform's role in sales of a lot of AAA 3P games (particularly Japanese ones), but it's incorrect to say every 3P SP game has been a flop on PC, too.

Especially when I just named 3 examples where they sold at least one million on PC alone.

That was the goal from the start; clever/subtle undermining of PlayStation consoles by promoting the PC versions.

But I don't blame Ybarra for this whatsoever; it's 100% Sony's problem they created on their own. All this does is just dilute the potential value of a PS5 Pro, too. That Sony might be holding back on new 1P reveals just to push the Pro is in a way rather sad IMO, especially if the plan for PC ports hasn't changed at all or will just lead to Day 1 for non-GAAS titles too.

Because at that point you're just obfuscating the truth from your most loyal customers just to sell them on something they ultimately might not even need.
Yeah that wasn't worded accurately of my side. But it's certain games who do sell high on PC. Witcher 3, Hades sold well. Witcher has strong ties with Steam because it started as a PC only franchise first. Well Hades is Rouge like game, which do perform usually well on PC. Souls games also sell. But how about Final Fantasy? The numbers always were pretty low reported. The only FF which sold on PC exceptionally well is 14, because it's a MMO. Just saying only a certain type of SP games do sell on PC well. Yakuza, FF, Persona, Tales of never had impressing sales on Steam.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
That has nothing to do with why Valve doesn't make games. They don't make games because... they are Valve. That's how they roll.

Maybe... just maybe people don't want to play Horizon open-world copy-paste game? IDK what's in it for you, if they release it on PC, it's sales no matter how little, it's money for Sony. Why does that bother you?
I already answered your question, and I see you're just another one of Rinzlers alt accounts. Idk why I bothered.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
I sure hope some of the people on this site don't seriously believe that games on Steam only sell a few thousand or hundreds of thousands of copies, you can't be this disconnected from reality. Unless of course you aren't a PC gamer but you continue to assume stuff about its market.

This boggles me because all I read are salty Sony fans saying wild stuff and they are quite aggressive too for some reason. Ever since joining this site, I haven't told anyone "Hey. sell your PS and come to PC" or whatever. We aren't your enemies, sorry if it bothers you that your exclusives get ported to PC but you have to blame Sony for that, not us.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I sure hope some of the people on this site don't seriously believe that games on Steam only sell a few thousand or hundreds of thousands of copies, you can't be this disconnected from reality. Unless of course you aren't a PC gamer but you continue to assume stuff about its market.

This boggles me because all I read are salty Sony fans saying wild stuff and they are quite aggressive too for some reason. Ever since joining this site, I haven't told anyone "Hey. sell your PS and come to PC" or whatever. We aren't your enemies, sorry if it bothers you that your exclusives get ported to PC but you have to blame Sony for that, not us.
Majority of SP games do sell low on PC.
Mat Piscatella, Christopher Dring for example weekly report about game charts. There are exceptions for well performing SP games on PC, but they are certain type of games.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024

The interesting about this is that you don't have any numbers. We know very little about how SP games sell on PC, but since devs and pubs keep releasing on PC, I assume they sell well.

The weekly reports Mat and Dring does doesn't tell us much about PC sales.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
Mat Piscatella, Christopher Dring for example weekly report about game charts. There are exceptions for well performing SP games on PC, but they are certain type of games.
Sure, I don't want to argue that, even if it's true. I was talking about Steam games in general, not everything is about Sony's games.

However, I wonder what are the numbers for a game like GOW 2018 on Steam. Fantastic game, and I'm sure it sold well. People were using Horizon as an example. IMO, it's an overrated franchise. When it doesn't sell well on PC so people use it as an argument why Steam sucks or we don't buy games or something, no, good games sell, it's a free market. No disrespect if you're a fan of Horizon games.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
The interesting about this is that you don't have any numbers. We know very little about how SP games sell on PC, but since devs and pubs keep releasing on PC, I assume they sell well.

The weekly reports Mat and Dring does doesn't tell us much about PC sales.
Sony is more and more releasing games on PC, that is proof in itself. Games being ported to PC takes away nothing from you on console.

It doesn't take a genius to realize they like it and keep doing it because, obviously, it's bringing them more money. IDK why such simple stuff needs to be explained. As I said yesterday, it's just business, guys.

Edit: I meant to quote you, @klomzi. not reply to you.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
They will be lucky to sell a few thousand copies of Demons Souls on the PS Launcher. A PS launcher will be absolute shit in every way.

Epic Games has been giving away free games for years all in the hope of getting more users to move to Epic, or at least use both Epic and Steam, and that is yet to happen (will never happen).

And that guy thinks Sony releasing their launcher on PC will be the second coming of Jesus. In what world does it make more financial sense to make their own launcher vs just using Steam? lol

A lot of the assumptions and problems in those conversations stem, IMO, from people thinking Sony games are some incredible things and can't-be-missed games that everyone is out to play. No, they are just regular ass games.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony should use denuvo for one to 2 years and adjust regional pricing and their SP games would sell a lot better on PC. Those are their 2 main mistakes. Go to a popular repack site and you will see that their games are among the most popular. So there clearly is demand.

Of course they would sell even better if they releasing day and date but Sony does staggered releases it to not cannibalize their console sales as much. No problem with that.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony should use denuvo for one to 2 years and adjust regional pricing and their SP games would sell a lot better on PC. Those are their 2 main mistakes. Go to a popular repack site and you will see that their games are among the most popular. So there clearly is demand.

Of course they would sell even better if they releasing day and date but Sony does staggered releases it to not cannibalize their console sales as much. No problem with that.
Staggered release is less about the console sales cannibalization and more about development issues. Anyone who cares about PS games should hope they never do day and date on PC because the quality you come to expect will no longer be there.

Nixxes porting these games after release is one thing but having Sony devs themselves work on them , as was the case with ND and TLOU1 remake, is a major issue. Either games take much longer to make or, what's more probable, we get shitty products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com

Better prices would help, you are right. I'm not sure tbh if Denvuo would do anything or would stop anyone from cracking the game.

I'm not sure how true this is, I'm just thinking out loud: Could it be possible that games lose some of their hype when they are released on console for a 1/2/3 years and then come later to PC?

Interested people in that game would have already owned a PS to play it, so by the time it comes to Steam they have no reason to buy it.

Or they watched someone play it on Twitch or YouTube because they don't want to wait a few years to play it themselves, so again when it does release on PC, they don't care.

🤷‍♀️

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
France - WEEK 15, 2024 (APR 08 - APR 14) - [INDIVIDUAL FORMATS] - [UNITS] - [RETAIL ONLY] - [NO BUNDLE]

Top 10
01 (01) [NSW] PRINCESS PEACH SHOWTIME ! (NINTENDO)
02 (02) [NSW] MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
03 (03) [NSW] SUPER MARIO BROS. WONDER (NINTENDO)
04 (RE) [NSW] BAYONETTA 3 (NINTENDO)
05 (05) [NSW] MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
06 (07) [NSW] MARIO VS DONKEY KONG (NINTENDO)
07 (10) [NSW] HOGWARTS LEGACY (WARNER BROS ENT.)
08 (RE) [NSW] MARIO + RABBIDS: SPARKS OF HOPE (UBISOFT)
09 (06) [NSW] EA SPORTS FC 24 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (RE) [NSW] THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TEARS OF THE KINGDOM (NINTENDO)

Sony should take Nintendo as an example

Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why, when Sony is outperforming them worldwide?

Xbox sells more than PS and Switch in Mexico, should Sony and Nintendo learn from Xbox according to you?

image.png

https://es.statista.com/temas/9276/industria-de-los-videojuegos-en-mexico/#editorsPicks

1531-FOTO-Tendencias-The-CIU-Participaci%C2%A2n-de-Mercado-por-Fabricante-de-Consolas-2022-780x470.jpg

1531-FOTO-Tendencias-The-CIU-Gaming-en-MCxico-2022.png

https://esemanal.mx/2023/07/en-mexico-el-mercado-de-gaming-genero-ingresos-por-35-mil-884-millones-de-pesos-en-2022/#:~:text=En México el mercado de,2022 - eSemanal - Noticias del Canal

Nixxes porting these games after release is one thing but having Sony devs themselves work on them , as was the case with ND and TLOU1 remake, is a major issue. Either games take much longer to make or, what;s more probable, we get shitty products.
Naugthy Dog, Insomniac, SSM, and the other similar internal PS Studios teams don't port their games to PC. They are focused on making new PS console games, and then an some external (or in case of Nixxes, internal) porting team ports the games to PC. So PC ports don't affect the quality, resources or development times of new games for consoles.

ND did work (mostly juniors to help with their training, according to Druckmann) in the TLOUP1 remake for PS5, codeveloped with Sony Creative Arts (the internal gamedev support team at SIE who helps in basically all 1st and 2nd party Sony games), who originally pitched and leaded the project (not ND).

The porters of the PC versions of the ND games are Iron Galaxy instead of Nixxes (not ND themselves):

52739543965_bfc86cbdbe_h.jpg

image.png

image.png

In case of SSM, the porters of the PC version were 4 engineers from Jetpack Interactive:
https://www.theverge.com/22883541/god-of-war-pc-port-interview

Regarding Sackboy: A Big Adventure, in addition to lead development of some gmes Sumo also works as support or porting teams in other games, so I assume they ported it themselves. Something quick and easy being an Unreal Engine game.

New AAA games being developed nowadays normally take around 5-9 years of development, every generation AAA require more time and people to be made because games get bigger, more complex and more detailed, so require extra work specially in the visuals related side.

Being specific the ND, they were working on TLOU Online since around H2 2019 until got cancelled last year, in addition to "multiple" new single player games, which as we know apparently one of them was started months after the TLOU2 release (so around early 2021) and the other one in H1 2023. We know none of these games is TLOU3. So for the first time in their history they have been working on 3 new games at the same time.

Considering AAA games nowadays take around 5-9 years to be developed, the first one would release around early 2026-early 2030 and the other one around early 2028- early 2032. After TLOU Online was cancelled, it's fair to assume that their devs (the ones not fired) went to support the other two games, or maybe started a new game, I assume TLOU3.

TLDR: ND doesn't port their games to PC, Iron Galaxy does them. So PC ports don't affect in anything (quality, time, resources...) to their console games. AAA games every generation take longer to be made for everybody, not only for ND.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Meh, PC gaming is too expensive, it will take a $1,200 GPU 4080 to beat the PS5 Pro. And we not even going to talk about the cost of the rest of that PC build.