Older style Xbox One 'VCR' consoles with older firmware can't update, disabling most features

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

GTq0vrDW8AAECSQ

F3vIjlHa4AAlT7I

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Am I missing something here? Can you update PS4 and Wii U to current functionality?

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Am I missing something here? Can you update PS4 and Wii U to current functionality?
It's not current, but latest. I bricked my vcr when forza horizon 5 came out cause I had not turned it on since forza horizon 4.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I never heard of anything like that for any console ever.

These consoles are supposed to be compatible (actually compatible, not like "hey you can run some games we decide on this one too".

That's mainly a problem for the most hardcore of the hardcore xbox fans, because nobody else got xboxes back in the days.

• Surprised
Reactions: BroodCorp

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
As happened many times I bought their PR bullshit -among other things I collaborate in several (real) game preservation projects- just to some time later get dissapointed.
Nothing of what they have done is proper preservation, but I admit they did some interesting stuff with the previous gen catalogs, especially compared to other console platform owners.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nothing of what they have done is proper preservation, but I admit they did some interesting stuff with the previous gen catalogs, especially compared to other console platform owners.
Yes, but they created that team when they already had stopped to add new games to the previous gen catalog.

I assume that the goal of that team is to emulate on PC their different old and present consoles in order to have certain games from previous generations also available on PC and the cloud in the long term. So they can enterely shut down their console hardware business and have it on Windows (which would include portable and home console shaped PCs, most of them 3rd party).

Last edited: