Opinion: Xbox early access is just a week long delay to encourage FOMO

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Microsoft is continuing the trend of “early access” which lets you pay full price for a deluxe version of a game or additional cost through gamepas to gain access to it a week early. They are doing it with Starfield and they are doing it with Forza Motorsport this fall. It essentially allows them recoup cost by selling games to their most loyal fans outside of gamepass. Considering a good amount of profit is made from games within the first week, they are simply still abiding by the old code of selling games like playstation and nintendo. Essentially having their cake and eating it too.

There are a huge subset of players that will wait for gamepass, but as we all know FOMO is a bitch. Before it was just a weekend early, now its an entire week. Can you imagine sitting on your hands while people are playing stuff like Spider-Man, God of War, FFXVI a week early? If its competitive multiplayer they are getting a head start at playing the game better than everyone else, if its a single player game theres an entire week of open spoilers to avoid. They are pretty much selling FOMO to their audience.

Some may say this is the price of getting full priced games “free” with gamepass but there’s also the weird logic behind actual gamepass members paying for early access to games and content they don’t actually own. For example, if you buy the Starfield deluxe which includes the early access you also get the first DLC expansion, whats weird is you’re buying DLC for game that could be taken off the service whenever they want. They’ve promised to keep first party games on it in perpetuity but its impossible to make that promise. Forza Motorsport also has additional content in early access, the problem is the previous forza Motorsport games have been removed from the service. You cannot buy or play any Forza Motorsport game currently if you don’t already own it, its easy to assume the same thing will happen with the new one due to licensing.

Its sounds cute to call it an “early access” and make people feel special but the game is done. It’s not “early” you’re just delaying the gamepass release, essentially treating them as lesser valued customers. They’re undermining their entire “everyone plays” mantra and to a far greater extent the benefits of being a part of gamepass.

I remember there being significant pushback to sony offering demo’s (timed trials) to premium subscribers only, but i feel like something like this is far more egregious. You’re pretty much creating a hierarchy of fans through who’s willing to pay more and sooner, to play games. That doesn’t sound very egalitarian of them.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft didn't start the early access trend but you know the actual release date for Starfield was September 1st but then they changed it to September 6 to get early access sales.

They don't release games on Wednesdays usually.

The backlash for game demos in PS+ premium was so strong they dropped it (or maybe the rumours were wrong, we'll never know) but MS can do whatever they want with no controversy.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It's not like this tactic will work at any significant scale.

First, most Game Pass subscribers would not buy the game. Only a small % of people will buy the game. Then an even smaller % will pay extra for early access.

Well, we saw well over a million people buy early access to forza horizon 5, thats no insignificant number considering FH games don’t typically tend to sell more than 7 million copies LTD. For a game like Starfield that number will be dramatically higher.

It makes me wonder how far can they push this early access period before its not that different from what sony is doing with PS Plus

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's not like this tactic will work at any significant scale.

First, most Game Pass subscribers would not buy the game. Only a small % of people will buy the game. Then an even smaller % will pay extra for early access.
Still, it conditioning people with possibility, later they can increase. 2 weeks or 1 month.
M$ really don't give a shit about their customers.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well, we saw well over a million people buy early access to forza horizon 5, thats no insignificant number considering FH games don’t typically tend to sell more than 7 million copies LTD. For a game like Starfield that number will be dramatically higher.

It makes me wonder how far can they push this early access period before its not that different from what sony is doing with PS Plus
Sold around 800k.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They are even selling an early access physical version in stores, no game included. I think that's a first in the industry? They are so desperate to sell anything.

STARFIELD PREMIUM EDITION UPGRADE (PHYSICAL)

Includes:
- Shattered Space Story Expansion (upon release)
- Up to 5 days early access
- Constellation Skin Pack
- Access to Starfield Digital Artbook & Original Soundtrack
- Steelbook Display Case (when purchased from participating retail stores)
- Constellation Patch (when purchased from participating retail stores)

The base game is sold separately.

No outrage about this?

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Microsoft didn't start the early access trend but you know the actual release date for Starfield was September 1st but then they changed it to September 6 to get early access sales.

The backlash for game demos in PS+ premium was so strong they dropped it (or maybe the rumours were wrong, we'll never know) but MS can do whatever they want with no controversy.
So, the new games on gamepass aren't actually day one, if they just move the release date to a week later and then let people who buy the game to access it on the original date how can they still call them day one titles. I guess they figured out going too aggressive on day one free access (which is the only thing making them unique to ps plus) was financially hurting them.

What a technical loophole by xbox to change the date and make their blind fans happy to get "day one" access but then give those who buy disc or digital a week early access to get those actual day one disc/digital sales. Just Wow

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They are even selling an early access physical version in stores, no game included. I think that's a first in the industry? They are so desperate to sell anything.

STARFIELD PREMIUM EDITION UPGRADE (PHYSICAL)

Includes:
- Shattered Space Story Expansion (upon release)
- Up to 5 days early access
- Constellation Skin Pack
- Access to Starfield Digital Artbook & Original Soundtrack
- Steelbook Display Case (when purchased from participating retail stores)
- Constellation Patch (when purchased from participating retail stores)

The base game is sold separately.

No outrage about this?

Imagine buying early access to a game you don’t even have lol

Disappointed Pizza GIF by Eternal Family

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So, the new games on gamepass aren't actually day one, if they just move the release date to a week later and then let people who buy the game to access it on the original date how can they still call them day one titles. I guess they figured out going too aggressive on day one free access (which is the only thing making them unique to ps plus) was financially hurting them.

What a technical loophole by xbox to change the date and make their blind fans happy to get "day one" access but then give those who buy disc or digital a week early access to get those actual day one disc/digital sales. Just Wow

Well third party games are. Microsofts? No fucking way lol

Not even they are crazy enough to put their AAA games on a service day one

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Well third party games are. Microsofts? No fucking way lol

Not even they are crazy enough to put their AAA games on a service day one
Those third party devs know this won't last for long and just getting the big bucks xbox is paying from microsofts pocket, the day one access being moved to higher costlier tier was inevitable but now the day looks closer than ever

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Elder Scrolls VI Ultimate Edition - Early access of 2 years. Game Pass "day one" title.

Animated GIF

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I can't understand FOMO honestly. Just play at your own pace. But If you are impatient enough that you are willing to pay extra more power to you.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Helios

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

There are still demos on ps+ premium.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Imagine buying early access to a game you don’t even have lol

Disappointed Pizza GIF by Eternal Family
It's basically a paid demo for 5 days. A shareware version.

Paid demos were the devil and anti-consumer last year. Not anymore. Sony should start selling early access keys for Spider-Man 2.

There are still demos on ps+ premium.
Yeah but the rumor was EVERY game would get a trial on PS+ Premium, not a few select games. The backlash about paid demos was so intense.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It's basically a paid demo for 5 days. A shareware version.

Paid demos were the devil and anti-consumer last year. Not anymore. Sony should start selling early access keys for Spider-Man 2.

Yeah but the rumor was EVERY game would get a trial on PS+ Premium, not a few select games. The backlash about paid demos was so intense.

So that version actually comes with a version you can play early? And then what you lose the license for it on release?