Opinion: Xbox early access is just a week long delay to encourage FOMO

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Imagine a scenario where Microsoft starts releasing their big AAA games standalone with "beta access" for a month or two, and then "gamepass day 1", except there's no difference between beta and launch versions except the normal patch schedule they'd usually have for post-launch.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
This seems worse than just "early access" because if you have Game Pass ... you're not really getting "credit" for that. I honestly don't have a problem with a "deluxe edition" getting released a couple days earlier than the standard. Deluxe editions are usually pretty weak in what you get for the extra money so I think that would be a nice little "bonus."

However ...

MS has been selling Game Pass as "Get Everything on Day 1!" and that whole "Day 1" thing is pretty key. That's basically now a lie, and if you want to get the "early access" (i.e. not delayed access haha) you have to pay the FULL amount? That's obviously a scheme to prey on people's inability to wait. 100 bucks for that is just kinda outrageous if you have Game Pass. I think this kinda thing could be 100 on it's own, and then 30 if you have Game Pass, and you ALSO own the full game if, for whatever reason, it's removed from the GP service. Charging 100 for it even if you have GP is completely lame. They clearly feel the need to start really subsidizing Game Pass, and this is maybe one of the worst ways possible.

That's my opinion anyway.
Someone in this thread said that even movie industry stopped doing one streaming of movies and that is so true, then how can the gaming industry sustain giving almost free day one access. You see the narrative that xbox lit a fire under sony's ass by making them create a competitor for gamepass, but now its xbox whos entirely lit up on fire cause of the promise of day one access, something that sony is doing great without

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Someone in this thread said that even movie industry stopped doing one streaming of movies and that is so true, then how can the gaming industry sustain giving almost free day one access. You see the narrative that xbox lit a fire under sony's ass by making them create a competitor for gamepass, but now its xbox whos entirely lit up on fire cause of the promise of day one access, something that sony is doing great without

Yep, starfield is a game that was expected (before gamepass) to sell AT LEAST 15 million copies as a multiplatform title. You take away playstation players, and put it on a subscription service and the math just doesn’t add up.

100 million dollar block buster games released day one on a subscription service makes as much sense as the next marvel movie releasing on disney + day one.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
My prediction starting to come true. Said it back then that MS would move the actual day one on Gamepass with "early access".

I couldn't be proven right (or wrong), because they didn't release anything.

Last edited: