PAL Gamers, How do you like playing your old titles? In 50HZ or 60HZ?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
For example do you choose the Pal version for Ape Escape on PS5 to get the superior British Dub?

It's hard to get the Pal versions of roms for Retro games since most sites only have the NTSC versions that are 60Hz instead of 50Hz, but being Australian I die a little inside knowing this isn't the original experience I had as a kid. It's even worse when the titles are different (it's called Ratchet Gladiator, goddammit!). I go to the point of changing my covers in Retroarch so that the european artwork matches the US rom in an effort to delude myself.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
For most games that weren't made in Europe with 50Hz in made, go 60Hz. If you want to get it in English, get the USA version (in English but running at 60Hz).

In the case of the rreal version get the pirated versions that some European pirate groups did to patch some 50Hz games to 60Hz. As I remember there were some loader disks made by some of these pirate groups where you first loaded this and later the game, but now I can't remember if this was for PS1 or Dreamcast because it was long ago and I almost didn't use it.

Reactions: Box

8BiTw0LF

I only play 50hz on Amiga, everything else at 60-144hz.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
For most games that weren't made in Europe with 50Hz in made, go 60Hz. If you want to get it in English, get the USA version (in English but running at 60Hz).

In the case of the rreal version get the pirated versions that some European pirate groups did to patch some 50Hz games to 60Hz. As I remember there were some loader disks made by some of these pirate groups where you first loaded this and later the game, but now I can't remember if this was for PS1 or Dreamcast because it was long ago and I almost didn't use it.

Some PAL games like ICO have more content in the PAL version. It's always a mixed bag.

As a kid i played Kingdom Hearts at 25fps, when i played the HD remaster it all felt off playing it at 60fps.

I'm just wondering if anyone prefers the 50HZ of PAL games?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some PAL games like ICO have more content in the PAL version. It's always a mixed bag.

As a kid i played Kingdom Hearts at 25fps, when i played the HD remaster it all felt off playing it at 60fps.

I'm just wondering if anyone prefers the 50HZ of PAL games?
Some people prefer PAL in cases when the game has extra content (typical cases is localization to non-English European languages) or fixes (because in many cases Japanese/USA games were released way later in EU), and specially if the game is designed to run at 50Hz and also takes advantage of the extra resolution for PAL.