PalWorld is being indirectly censored In Japan by Nintendo

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
palworld-a-1440x810.jpg

Japanese entertainment professionals have been reportedly told to refrain from mentioning Palworld in public or on social media, to avoid potential backlash from The Pokémon Company.

Toyko Sports reports that, according to a talent agency source, talent have been advised not to mention the game in case there are issues.

“We have told our talent not to mention Palworld on social media or in public,” the source said. “This was done out of consideration for the Pokémon side as an agency. This decision was made in consideration of future potential collaborations.”
In short, talent agencies aren’t looking to make enemies of Pokemon and are doing what they feel needs to be done to stay on good terms with Nintendo and The Pokemon Company.

via Sankaku Complex

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This is very standard Japanese corporate practice.
It's all about trying to keep the long term relationships strong, and avoiding situations where conflict(even if it's very unlikely to happen) would arise.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I don't see it. Is it illegal to have digital pets in a game that pop out egg-like spheres?

You really don't see how the pikachu looking thing is quite obviously a very slight reworking of pikachu? I couldn't care less that they did this personally, but don't be obtuse, everyone can see exactly what they were doing.

• they're_right_you_know

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't see it. Is it illegal to have digital pets in a game that pop out egg-like spheres?
Come on man ... the characters obviously look like Pokemon. That's how the company operates. Look at their other games.

In terms of the topic, I wouldn't say this is even a Japanese phenomenon or anything like it. Relationships matter in business. That's true around the globe.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You really don't see how the pikachu looking thing is quite obviously a very slight reworking of pikachu? I couldn't care less that they did this personally, but don't be obtuse, everyone can see exactly what they were doing.

they're all tamagotchis to me

• brain
Reactions: Nym

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nintendo is taking so long to react to these Pokemon ripoffs I fear it's too late 😩

I wonder if they are trying to buy it behind the scenes and make it an official Pokemon game? It's early access so they can relaunch it whenever with new models. This is what I would do.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nintendo is taking so long to react to these Pokemon ripoffs I fear it's too late 😩

I wonder if they are trying to buy it behind the scenes and make it an official Pokemon game? It's early access so they can relaunch it whenever with new models. This is what I would do.
Harvest Moon + Pokemon on the Switch 2 is a winner even with Palworld succeeding.

• thinking_hard

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Deserved.

I think is sad how people rewards this type of behavior. We are only going to see more rip offs and IA generated crap if these type of games have hundred of millions in revenue.

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
I don't mean to be mean or anything, but based on their prior works, Pocket Pair are not in this business for the longterm brand building.

Aside from potential legal issues which may never even materialise, the most immediate consequence for them is other japanese companies potentially valuing their longterm relationship with TPC over a business opportunity with them. Even some western ones. I don't know that Mattel and Hasbro would put in risk their license with Pokémon since it's so profitable for them, and TPC could always just shift their partnerships to domestic companies like Bandai entirely.

Even putting aside Microsoft's cheque for the Game Pass licensing, the game's 8 mil sales on Steam alone generated a revenue of 240 million already, which even accounting for Steam's 30% cut has covered dev costs 20-fold, according to the game's tiny budget of 6-odd million.

They don't really need to care. Once the next big thing comes along, they'll just put out another derivative of it (Pocket Pair's CEO literally admits that this is how he decides he's going to make games), and if they need an injection of cash, they'll cobble together Palworld 2 and rake it in for a bit.

At this point, basically the only JP devs that will be willing to work with them, are tiny indies who can benefit from parasitising them. KLab, for instance, a dev basically just known for a couple of anime licensed mobile shovelware, seems to be working with them.

Mizobe can retire with the money he's made off of this thing.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't mean to be mean or anything, but based on their prior works, Pocket Pair are not in this business for the longterm brand building.

Aside from potential legal issues which may never even materialise, the most immediate consequence for them is other japanese companies potentially valuing their longterm relationship with TPC over a business opportunity with them. Even some western ones. I don't know that Mattel and Hasbro would put in risk their license with Pokémon since it's so profitable for them, and TPC could always just shift their partnerships to domestic companies like Bandai entirely.

Even putting aside Microsoft's cheque for the Game Pass licensing, the game's 8 mil sales on Steam alone generated a revenue of 240 million already, which even accounting for Steam's 30% cut has covered dev costs 20-fold, according to the game's tiny budget of 6-odd million.

They don't really need to care. Once the next big thing comes along, they'll just put out another derivative of it (Pocket Pair's CEO literally admits that this is how he decides he's going to make games), and if they need an injection of cash, they'll cobble together Palworld 2 and rake it in for a bit.

At this point, basically the only JP devs that will be willing to work with them, are tiny indies who can benefit from parasitising them. KLab, for instance, a dev basically just known for a couple of anime licensed mobile shovelware, seems to be working with them.

Mizobe can retire with the money he's made off of this thing.
They do have "fuck you money" now so i doubt they care if other companies will work with them

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
They do have "fuck you money" now so i doubt they care if other companies will work with them

Not working with established devs really seems to have held them back from success hasn't it