Pearl Abyss: We were offered an exclusive contract for Crimson Desert by Sony but refused

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
There is nothing SIE can offer tech wise with XDEV, Pearl Abyss has their own proprietary Blackspace engine which seems to do some things far better than unreal and decima. PA even has their own moneymakers in the form of MMO's, the only trouble they make have is having day 1 physical versions available but if the game is a hit then they can always release the disc versions later

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So the interest in Pearl Abyss weren't just rumours. The chatter was also that Sony wanted to buy Pearl Abyss. I wonder if this decision by Pearl did burn bridges now with Sony?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This wasn't an exclusivity deal, it was a publishing deal. Which usually does come with an exclusivity window, obviously.

There's more to publishing than just giving them money to delay the game on other platforms. It would mean Sony was taking care of marketing, for example.

It also probably means a cut of the sales on top of the usual platform fees.
Pearl Abyss is large enough to self-publish, it makes sense why they rejected the deal.

Nobody willingly reduces revenue per copies unless they feel confident that the publishing agreement will net them more total revenue. The onus is on the publisher to bring forth data that shows the studio will benefit.

Pearl Abyss were not convinced here.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It also probably means a cut of the sales on top of the usual platform fees.
Pearl Abyss is large enough to self-publish, it makes sense why they rejected the deal.

Nobody willingly reduces revenue per copies unless they feel confident that the publishing agreement will net them more total revenue. The onus is on the publisher to bring forth data that shows the studio will benefit.

Pearl Abyss were not convinced here.

Probably also means Pearl Abyss had access to investment that allowed them to pay all the wages without having to give up a percentage of the sales to Sony.

Considering how little is the revenue coming nowadays from Xbox users, I doubt the refusal had anything to do with the exclusivity clause.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Why would anyone sign an exclusive offer with a Company who's own software sales are collapsing not to mention they don't even keep their own games exclusive anymore.

They will learn the hard way next gen, PS5 has no goodwill, but these ramifications always follows up in the next gen.

I wouldn't say SIE's own software sales are collapsing; they're still quite strong in general outside of complete flops like Concord. But total software sales among all games on the platform...well those are still strong in America, pretty well in UK and parts of Europe, likely the same as ever was in places like Middle East/Africa/Latin America...

But in other parts of Europe I wouldn't be surprised if software sales on a decline, that is likely a reason they've been aggressive with sales promos for PS5 on and off through the year. And in markets like Japan, yeah software sales have absolutely cratered gen-over-gen, even when factoring in digital. Only a scant handful of games really buck that trend but it's pretty clear PS is losing software sales to Nintendo & Steam in that region, and it's probably similar in some other Asian markets.

Like in China, I don't even think PS5 has a large enough install base to drive a lot of big software sales, even if games like Black Myth Wukong caused a supposed surge in hardware sales. Because the vast majority of BMW's sales in China have been on PC, again via Steam. So I doubt the game had a long-term effect on PS5 install base or software sales uplift in China as some think.

Depends on what was offered but also requirements like the PS studios logo in exchange for XDev support and focus on PS5 version instead of PC like Shift-Up did. It's also not a dev that relies and asks for funding like S-Blade, they have over 1K staff and acquired Eve Online guys years back. So obviously more ambition, don't blame them.

Personally think Sony came too late since their trailers already got traction but Doke V is another one of theirs that got attention that has been missing for over 4 years. Assume they didn't wanna go crazy over an uncertain title but it would have fit nice in the gap of the portfolio. Not that the game is not coming out on PS5.

Yeah, doing something with DokeV would have been a great alternative but I have major doubts SIE even managed to pull that off. If they did we probably would be getting the game sooner, and given it's a smaller title vs. something like Crimson Desert then I think some timed console exclusivity would've been a net benefit while PA focused on Crimson Desert for a full multiplatform Day 1 release instead.

When we hear things like this, I think it just shows that SIE are losing the negotiation & leveraging power they had in prior generations, and that is usually down to some form of unoptimized management that is choosing to neglect certain things in favor of others. I know SIE said they want to rely less on 3P exclusives, and we know they want to increase profit margins....

But I'm just gonna keep it honest: they don't have the IP to be self-reliant on their own content the way a Nintendo does, while thinking their multiplatform approach + that content can let them still keep PlayStation consoles at the level they have historically been. That is in no way a judgement on the quality of SIE's games, their popularity or even the sales of many of them. It's just that many of their biggest games are heavily story-driven, so they have a built-in capped potential with how far those IP can go in terms of iterations.

Also while the sales of their biggest games can generally hit 10-20 million (or more in exceptional cases like Spiderman), a good chunk of those are at lower prices, or some via system bundles. The costs of the games have been going up and that's claimed as one reason they have been focusing on PC ports and even doing Day 1 increasingly for PC and other consoles like Nintendo. But then that just gets right back to minimizing the value argument for their own console, especially if 3P exclusives become less and less going forward (for example, I'm 100% feeling FF XVII will be a PS6/Steam/EGS/Xbox Day 1 release, and maybe a Switch 2 port a year afterwards).

Last edited:

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Oh wow. Very happy that Pearl Abyss turned Sony down as this is one of my most anticipated games since the gameplay trailer was revealed at The Game Awards 2020. To me, it's the evolution of The Witcher III: Wild Hunt so super hyped!!

In general, third party companies are going to lessen their exclusivity deals from hardware manufacturers because the reality is that it doesn't help the IP which they all want to grow. People can shit on Microsoft and Xbox all they want but when Sony is porting their games to PC, Xbox and Switch, if the hardware manufacturer is doing it, why wouldn't a third party publisher that has no hardware and doesn't get a 30% cut from every game/dlc/mtx sale do it?

Crimson Desert was already day one for me and now, im hoping there's an Early Access edition so I can play it even earlier on my Xbox Series X baby!!! Whooo!!! 😂

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
Just saying, calling developers stupid for not taking an exclusivity contract is full of fanboy values. Acting like they won't sell unless its exclusive is even more fanboy rhetoric. They want to reach all players who can play the game, they don't listen to the "Xbox players don't buy games" garbage that floats around here. If that really was the case no game would come to Xbox and they would have died by now. Don't let your fanboy mentality cloud your judgment and blur the reality.

Haven't you heard? PlayStation is on the verge of irrelevance and Sony is on the verge of bankruptcy.

• haha
Reactions: Exicide

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
You think developers/publishers aren’t looking at PS releasing remakes/remasters on PC day 1 & new games like Lego Horizon on PC & Nintendo Switch day 1, hell there studio saying stuff like we want to reach more players etc.

I’m telling you know Switch 2 will completely kill off PS exclusivity deal if Switch 2 is anywhere around PS4 power. Games like Stellar Blade could’ve launch day 1 on Switch 2 & the performance likely would’ve been that different to PS5

Nobody is buying a Nintendo console for non-Nintendo games. Their IP (really only Mario and Zelda) is the *only* thing that keeps their hardware relevant. Without that, Nintendo would have gotten out of the console business long ago.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I wouldn't say SIE's own software sales are collapsing; they're still quite strong in general outside of complete flops like Concord. But total software sales among all games on the platform...well those are still strong in America, pretty well in UK and parts of Europe, likely the same as ever was in places like Middle East/Africa/Latin America...

But in other parts of Europe I wouldn't be surprised if software sales on a decline, that is likely a reason they've been aggressive with sales promos for PS5 on and off through the year. And in markets like Japan, yeah software sales have absolutely cratered gen-over-gen, even when factoring in digital. Only a scant handful of games really buck that trend but it's pretty clear PS is losing software sales to Nintendo & Steam in that region, and it's probably similar in some other Asian markets.

Like in China, I don't even think PS5 has a large enough install base to drive a lot of big software sales, even if games like Black Myth Wukong caused a supposed surge in hardware sales. Because the vast majority of BMW's sales in China have been on PC, again via Steam. So I doubt the game had a long-term effect on PS5 install base or software sales uplift in China as some think.

Yeah, doing something with DokeV would have been a great alternative but I have major doubts SIE even managed to pull that off. If they did we probably would be getting the game sooner, and given it's a smaller title vs. something like Crimson Desert then I think some timed console exclusivity would've been a net benefit while PA focused on Crimson Desert for a full multiplatform Day 1 release instead.

When we hear things like this, I think it just shows that SIE are losing the negotiation & leveraging power they had in prior generations, and that is usually down to some form of unoptimized management that is choosing to neglect certain things in favor of others. I know SIE said they want to rely less on 3P exclusives, and we know they want to increase profit margins....

But I'm just gonna keep it honest: they don't have the IP to be self-reliant on their own content the way a Nintendo does, while thinking their multiplatform approach + that content can let them still keep PlayStation consoles at the level they have historically been. That is in no way a judgement on the quality of SIE's games, their popularity or even the sales of many of them. It's just that many of their biggest games are heavily story-driven, so they have a built-in capped potential with how far those IP can go in terms of iterations.

Also while the sales of their biggest games can generally hit 10-20 million (or more in exceptional cases like Spiderman), a good chunk of those are at lower prices, or some via system bundles. The costs of the games have been going up and that's claimed as one reason they have been focusing on PC ports and even doing Day 1 increasingly for PC and other consoles like Nintendo. But then that just gets right back to minimizing the value argument for their own console, especially if 3P exclusives become less and less going forward (for example, I'm 100% feeling FF XVII will be a PS6/Steam/EGS/Xbox Day 1 release, and maybe a Switch 2 port a year afterwards).
Agree.

It also fathoms me that Sony would try to acquire Paramount for 25+ billion a company on the decline & one that really doesn’t have much ip they own that would benefit Sony as a whole including PS.

TMNT, Avatar, GiJoe & that’s really it but even those ip in there respective markets don’t really bang I’d argue PS own gaming ip are bigger & have bigger potential. In the case of the uncharted film it had a budget of 120 million & brought in over 500 million easily surpassing the newest Indiana jones by miles. This is not taking to account how well & big imo other PS gaming franchise could do in the big screen such as Horizon, TLOU, GOW, Ratcher & Clank (proper movie this time), Demon Souls, Bloodborne, inFAMOUS, Destiny, Resistance etc.

PS is heavily lacking imo in the first party studio the fact most of there key studios aren’t multi team studios to support & create multiple games per gen such as ND having a Jak & Daxter team & ND having a Unvharted team (the fact Uncharted had been mia for almost 10 years is asinine & incompetence from both ND, PS & Sony leadership a franchise in which the last game sold 15+ million & reviewed above 85+)

But it’s also true that Sony in both there movie division & PS don’t have the ip like MS now w the acquisition of Minecraft, ABK & Zenimax PS lacks massive universal ip. It is insane to think Sony was going to acquire Paramount for 25+ billion & continue to ignore PS lack in investment especially when PS brings what nearly 70% of Sony revenue.

With that 25 billion Sony could’ve lockdown Kadakawa/Fromsoft for under 5 billion. Both Fromsoft & manga/anime is at a all time rise & will only continue to get bigger w games like Elden Ring 2, Armor Core 7 & new ip or if under PS could make a Bloodborne 2 & Demon Souls 2. Anime is skyrocketing almost all media/entertainment company is double downing like Netflix & WB that had success w the DC animated Batman & Suicide Squad. Sony should be double downing on the success of PS production to bring quality content faster w out harming the quality, so you gain scale.

With that 25 billion Sony could’ve lockdown Capcom & Square Enix 2 important publisher that are seemingly being invested by the Saudis likely for a future acquisition which the Saudis previously acquired SNK & they’ve stated how they wanted to buy another publisher. Square Enix is seemingly stopping exclusive which will significantly if not kill any chances of PS having any sort of foot print in Japan if games like Final Fantasy & Neir release day 1 on Switch 2 which is highly likely.

This all perfect PS not to mention PS decision to release games on PC. Both studios & publishers will stop doing exclusive deals as PC & more directly Steamdeck continues to grow & Nintendo Switch 2 is powerfull enough to run all 3rd party making deals w PS will become less necessary in the future harming PS market share & PS hardware/storefront & it just turns to a death spiral similar to Xbox. Xbox likely wanted to make ABK games exclusive especially a game like COD if you read the statements by Phill & Matt Booty they where definitely leaning to making COD exclusive in 2025 but because of the ftc & satya seeing Xbox numbers shrink because of poor leadership & there decisions to put games on Pc Xbox console & storefront has been cut by over 50% Xbox one sold nearly 70 million Xbox series will likely maxed at low 30’s. The harm in PS console won’t be felt or shown in the PS5 gen it will be shown in the PS6 gen where gamers have to question why invest on PS hardware when you have PC, Rog ally or Steamdeck that imo easily replaces PS consoles.

Overall PS is trying to have a multiplat push but PS itself from a studio standpoint & ip they do not have the studios or ip to be a dominant force as a multiplat even as a console hardware it’s questionable when Nintendo releases 5+ Nintendo games per year early in the gen while in this year alone which there at the final year of Switch they released like 3 Nintendo already.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Nobody is buying a Nintendo console for non-Nintendo games. Their IP (really only Mario and Zelda) is the *only* thing that keeps their hardware relevant. Without that, Nintendo would have gotten out of the console business long ago.
This is incredibly short sighted.

It amazes me that people think Nintendo consoles will continue to be underpower, lack 3rd party support for ever.

If Switch 2 is at the power of PS4 if not higher which is rumored to be I’m telling rn ALL 3rd party studios & publisher will develop games for Switch 2. Capcom released Resident Evil 4 on iPhone 💀 if you think existing & future Capcom games won’t release day 1 on Switch 2 that’s some serious cope. Resident evil, Street Fighter, DMC, mainline Monster Hunter will 100% be release day 1 on Switch 2 if not come 6 month to 1 year. I can guarantee the next FF game will release on Switch 2 day 1 & other notable games like Persona 6 etc. 3rd party publishers want to release there games on Xbox yet you think they won’t release on Switch 2 a console that will sell 150+ million & have iconic & legendary exclusive games like Mario Kart 9, Pokemon & the next Smash yeah ok lol he’ll even PS is releasing there games on Switch 1 I don’t put it past PS seeing how short sighted they have been to see other notable PS games on Switch 1 & Switch 2.

There’s a reason Nintendo bought a port studio & it’s certainly not to port games to PC or PS it’s too help 3rd party releases games on Switch 2 day 1 or come as soon as possible. Again Nintendo w there console w close the line w power & 3rd party support. It ultimately comes back to exclusive games you can’t play anywhere else & both Xbox & PS doesn’t have that.

Not even taking to account Nintendo consoles being cheaper then PS, there online is significantly cheaper & Nintendo seems to be double downing on exclusive games (real exclusive)

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I haven't been on this forum long, but I've definitely observed a wide range of emotions on the subject Playstation's future.

Ignore all of that shit. Those who complaining for whatever reason do so because Sony isn't doing what THEY want them to do. It was like me bitching about Microsoft eight months ago when they decided to go more multi-platform than they already were. Eventually, they'll get over it and if they don't, then they should sell/trade/trash their PlayStation 5 but they won't because they know none of what they're bitching about is serious or affects them whatsoever.

• Informative
Reactions: DarkLordOtaku

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ignore all of that shit. Those who complaining for whatever reason do so because Sony isn't doing what THEY want them to do. It was like me bitching about Microsoft eight months ago when they decided to go more multi-platform than they already were. Eventually, they'll get over it and if they don't, then they should sell/trade/trash their PlayStation 5 but they won't because they know none of what they're bitching about is serious or affects them whatsoever.
You're going to lose everything. You just don't know it yet.