|UP| Pentiment is 120FPS on PS5, |UP| Also 120FPS on Series X!

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
pentiment-820x394.jpg

According to reddit users, Pentiment runs better on PlayStation 5 than on Xbox, as the PS5 version of the game supports up to 120 FPS, while the Xbox version only supports 60 FPS.

The user who shared this information even jokes about it, because in games like Pentiment, the frame rate doesn't matter much, but he claims that if you have a TV with VRR, the game's FPS reaches 120.

Pentiment isn't a game where frame rate matters, but I found it quite funny,"

Said the user

When you start the game on a PS5, it activates the 120hz mode on your TV.

Now, I know that hz are not fps, but the PS5 only activates the mode if the game has been programmed for HFR mode (high frame rate) or the 40fps mode we see in some games. I can't check the frame rate on my TV, but it looks like the game is running in HFR mode at over 60 FPS, so up to 120fps.

I'm waiting for Digital Foundry to check the game and confirm what it's running at and maybe question why all Xbox consoles only run it at 60fps."

A frame-by-frame analysis of the Reddit user’s off-screen video captures indicates that Pentiment can indeed be made to run at a higher frame rate on PS5, as the video captured at 120 Hz updates the content exactly twice as fast as the one captured at 60 Hz. Both the 60 fps (top) and the 120 fps (bottom) videos can be seen below.

Update 2/24/24

Last edited by a moderator:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Well I bought it, so I'll try to get into over the weekend. But good to hear about the optimization.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yet it isn't.
Kinda like only PS5 has a 8K console version of The Touryst which runs 8K/60 on PS5 but not on Series x.
it's a matter of someone changing few lines of code which they probably won't do, because the game is Pentiment.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The first reply says its 60fps running in 120hz.
So the game is duplicating frames? Because to make the TV run in 120Hz it needs to show 120 frames even if some are duplicated.

VRR is what makes the Hz variate… if it using VRR then the TV is not refreshing at 120Hz.