Phantom Blade Zero Developer Says It Doesn’t Have The “Privilege” To Frustrate Players Like FromSoftware - Game will be very accessible

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

phantom-blade-zero-soulslike-interview-pcgamesn-summer-game-fest-580x334.jpg

Source
“There’s a rhythm to [Phantom Blade Zero’s] combat, but in general it’s much faster than the average soulslike. We were actually inspired by the old-fashioned combo-driven action in games like Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Solid Rising, which not many people play anymore. Those games are our favorites, but nowadays, younger players might find these games too hardcore, so we needed to add extra accessibility.
“We put those fast-paced combos into a soulslike map, which is a new combination,” he continues. “But that also created a lot of challenges for us, like the camera angles. I think it’s gone pretty well. We love the idea of doing something really new and unique that incorporates all of the basic elements from the classic games that we love.”
The conversation naturally moves into a discussion of difficulty, the element that, of course, acts as a blessing and a curse for the soulslike genre. I ask if the team wants to truly test your mettle with Phantom Blade Zero.

“From the beginning, we decided we weren’t going to do another soulslike game,” Soulframe tells me. “We think the difficulties and frustrations you experience in a normal souls game can’t be the main part of the game. So we wanted to remove the frustrating parts, and add more positive feedback; every dodge, every perfect parry will reward you with fancy animations and Ghoststeps.”

The game also features difficulty options, which aren’t available in many other soulslikes – “this means you don’t have as much punishment when you die,” he tells me. “We want our players to enjoy the pure combat, the story, and the world; that’s the point.
“As a new studio, I don’t think we have the privilege of FromSoftware to make you frustrated while you’re playing. We’d rather keep it accessible to everyone so that everyone can enjoy it.”

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I'm glad they going the action route, that genre has been dying out over the years. In case folks missed the devs insights playing the demo at SGF:

Reactions: Entropi

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
It's going to bomb aint it.
Game should do fine, you press one button and it does cool shit on screen like in fighting games where you have to do multiple inputs. If wukong succeeds then this game will get a cascading positive effect.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Game should do fine, you press one button and it does cool shit on screen like in fighting games where you have to do multiple inputs. If wukong succeeds then this game will get a cascading positive effect.
Don't think either will rate great.
Hope to be wrong though.