Phil Spencer at PAX : "We have passed on signing [exclusivity] on Destiny 1"

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They passed on everything from Yakuza, RE4, Spider-Man, GTA, SFV, Genshin, Destiny and then he cries and complains when Sony gets them 🤡

I don't know why developers keep going to MS first and gives them priority. Idiots.

Phil failed his own career and blamed it on Sony.
I think for Destiny they had to have first dibs because of the terms of the Bungie de-acquisition. The rest of it, where developers have freedom of choice to Xbox first, is insane.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They passed on everything from Yakuza, RE4, Spider-Man, GTA, SFV, Genshin, Destiny and then he cries and complains when Sony gets them 🤡

I don't know why developers keep going to MS first and gives them priority. Idiots.

I’d assumed these 3rd party are trying milk MS fat wallet. I can only predict Sega is getting a nasty bag from the persona GamePass releases & metaphor marketing

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Of course he did.
He only did mistakes with Xbox 🤷‍♂️

Both Xbox One and Series consoles are bad designed as hardware.
First-party output from Xbox was non-existent and when one released it was sub par quality.

Maybe only Forza Horizon that was an unpretentious spin-off was a luck strike because everything else dropped quality.

The disaster Uncle Phil did to Xbox will never recover…

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
he should've, at least Sony wouldn't have wasted 3.6B dollars on Bungie
He is talking about Destiny 2014 market deal… PS4 sold near 1 million console in two months due Destiny.

Where they turned it off but after see how much PS was growing with the Destiny’s marketing they desperate choose to…

microsoft-uk-confirms-it-is-behind-cheeky-destiny-fragrance-ad-140992134063.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Umar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These gaming conferences must be hard up for worthwhile guests that their best option is the guy who is currently presiding over the real time collapse of a console company.
Probably is even worst to the guy because he will only receive questions about the collapse that he don’t want to answer 😂

You know what you will be questioned even so it don’t make it less awkward.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I don't believe that because Destiny was under Activision and have they ever accepted an exclusivity deal? I know the Crash trilogy was a one year timed exclusive due to Sony funding it but other wise, has any game been exclusive from Activision? Plus, if it was available to be exclusive, why wouldn't Sony get it after Microsoft passed? None of this sounds logical at all.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The biggest mistake they've done is passing on SpiderMan.
They didn't have the economics to make it work with their smaller userbase. I think Suckerpunch has said publicly that that is how Sony was able to pull it off, anyway.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I don't believe that because Destiny was under Activision and have they ever accepted an exclusivity deal? I know the Crash trilogy was a one year timed exclusive due to Sony funding it but other wise, has any game been exclusive from Activision? Plus, if it was available to be exclusive, why wouldn't Sony get it after Microsoft passed? None of this sounds logical at all.
They went to Activision after Microsoft refused, no?

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Losing mentality. Meanwhile PlayStation continues to grab the timed exclusives but more importantly they work with developers offering them support for development which builds up relationship even more with third parties. Xbox never seeks this strategy out even though they have the money behind Microsoft to do so. Crazy all the big name games Xbox has passed on during its history.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
They went to Activision after Microsoft refused, no?

They went to Activision but didn't Bungie want out of the contract and fulfilled it with ODST and Reach instead of Halo 4? Why would they want/accept an exclusivity deal if they wanted out? I don't understand who Microsoft could have passed on signing Destiny to be exclusive if Bungie wanted out? There's nothing there to pass on because Bungie would have been gone.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They went to Activision but didn't Bungie want out of the contract and fulfilled it with ODST and Reach instead of Halo 4? Why would they want/accept an exclusivity deal if they wanted out? I don't understand who Microsoft could have passed on signing Destiny to be exclusive if Bungie wanted out? There's nothing there to pass on because Bungie would have been gone.
No? MS owned Bungie through that whole period.

Edit: MS partially owned it, as a minority stake holder. Destiny was planned at the time but MS preferred more Halo games, no trade was involved, or at least none announced.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster