Phil Spencer at PAX : "We have passed on signing [exclusivity] on Destiny 1"

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They went to Activision but didn't Bungie want out of the contract and fulfilled it with ODST and Reach instead of Halo 4? Why would they want/accept an exclusivity deal if they wanted out? I don't understand who Microsoft could have passed on signing Destiny to be exclusive if Bungie wanted out? There's nothing there to pass on because Bungie would have been gone.
Microsoft still had right of first refusal for their next project, which was Destiny. They didn't want it so they went with Activision and Sony got the marketing.

Think of it like Borderlands before 2K bought Gearbox. Gearbox couldn't go anywhere else even if they were owned by Embracer.

Here's an old article from 2007:

The source said that not only does Microsoft retain the “Halo” intellectual property, but they also get the right of first refusal of all new Bungie properties, adding that because Bungie is now based right next to Microsoft in Kirkland, Wash., there’s always going to be good communications between the two.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Microsoft still had right of first refusal for their next project, which was Destiny. They didn't want it so they went with Activision and Sony got the marketing.

Think of it like Borderlands before 2K bought Gearbox. Gearbox couldn't go anywhere else even if they were owned by Embracer.

Here's an old article from 2007:

Oh wow. Like I said numerous times throughout this generation, Microsoft is literally the only company I have ever seen shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly. It's literally comical at this point. Don't know why Phil would even say that he passed on Destiny or any of the past stuff either. The executives at Microsoft need to shut the fuck up because the more they talk, the more damage they do.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The biggest mistake they've done is passing on SpiderMan.
Not really. While it could look like worst idea, but you have to question yourself, can we make it?
While activision had the licence, game didn't sell at all and was beyond mediocre.

In the end, despite IP, you have to make a great game.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That's exactly what surprises me the most. Why do they always go to MS first? Sony is so lucky that all of its competitors are so incredibly incompetent.
Xbox is an industry plant. They've been trying to make fetch happen for decades. Sega, Tecmo, EA, Capcom, Square, Ubisoft, 2K, they all gave them deals and exclusives. Even if it made them lose money!

They are still trying to this day with so little return. They never give up.

Reactions: Puff

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't know why developers keep going to MS first and gives them priority. Idiots.

That's exactly what surprises me the most. Why do they always go to MS first? Sony is so lucky that all of its competitors are so incredibly incompetent.
Microsoft has money.

Plus this deal was probably made before the gen started in 2013 that means Xbox was in a better position than PlayStation.

Even CoD deal in 2013 was with Xbox… after Xbox One launch things changed and everybody wanted PlayStation deals.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It's bizarre to watch someone celebrate stupidity/mediocrity as much as Phil and Xbox.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Imagine, that was a time when MS was signing those deals left and right (they took the mech CoD game from EA instead).

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Marty gave a nice rundown of the original story in the latest Actman interview. Bungie was planning to leave from when Halo 2 began development. Jason Jones began development on Destiny very early on after Halo 2.