Phil Spencer has explained Halo’s absence from the Xbox Games Showcase: "We have over 20 Studios Now"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
halo-infinite-season-4-1280x720.jpg

In an interview with the Guardian, Phil Spencer said significant growth in Xbox’s first-party studio line-up means once dominant franchises no longer need to be front and centre at every Xbox event (Gears of War was also notably absent from Sunday’s showcase).

I wouldn’t say Halo is of lesser importance, but we have over 20 studios no. l go back to the years where I had basically four games – Fable, Forza, Halo, Gears, the four horseman of the apocalypse. We have a lot more games now.

Spencer also said recent restructuring at developer 343 Industries was a factor in Halo skipping the show.

We’ve been pretty public about the leadership change at 343. You can kind of see that in some of the social things [the team have] been doing around seasons, but I don’t want to force them to talk about their longer-term vision until they’re ready. I think you’ll see some pretty cool things coming.

In a separate interview, Xbox Games Studios boss Matt Booty said 343 will continue to work on the Halo series going forwards, but that other studios may get involved in development too.

I feel confident in the leadership team, but the team that got us here is probably not the same team that’s going to take us forward

He told Axios.

24 Jun 2022
They have "a lot more games" yet they showed DLC expansions for Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves, Fallout '76 and Elder Scrolls Online. You couldn't have squeeze in even a minute to remind people Halo Infinite exists?

This is just a courteous way of him saying "We know Halo's dead, and we killed it.". Arguably the biggest FPS franchise in gaming at one point, and Microsoft let it wither away into irrelevancy. I know they count their stars & blessing every day for having picked up Zenimax, just imagine what the lineup would've looked like this year without being able to boast Starfield as a console exclusive 😯

Reactions: arvfab

catchew

8 Jun 2023
yikes. the game is out over 4k of players(console and pc) waiting in fluctuation. so why look there on those 20 studios when it's out there already. a great majority of the games shown didn't have release dates and are scheduled for 2024 where dates could change... crazy thing is. a great majority of the platforms fanboys with braggin rights. dont care for flight sim (its a niche enthusiast market) and as high as they claim brags for starfield lets be honest a great bunch will spend 2-3 hrs and call it game of the year just because. if halo had worthwhile content it could grow...maybe.

200.gif

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They have "a lot more games" yet they showed DLC expansions for Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves, Fallout '76 and Elder Scrolls Online. You couldn't have squeeze in even a minute to remind people Halo Infinite exists?

This is just a courteous way of him saying "We know Halo's dead, and we killed it.". Arguably the biggest FPS franchise in gaming at one point, and Microsoft let it wither away into irrelevancy. I know they count their stars & blessing every day for having picked up Zenimax, just imagine what the lineup would've looked like this year without being able to boast Starfield as a console exclusive 😯
The stupid thing is they would have gotten Starfield anyway. It's literally the celebration of taking it away from PS only players. It's about as pathetic as it gets from a massive company like MS. In retrospect, I can't believe Phil had the audacity to once say he's not worried about Sony or Nintendo "harming the industry," like he sits from an ivory watchtower overseeing the whole thing lol. MS is probably the only company on the planet actually doing active damage to the industry.

In terms of Halo, instead of wither away I would suggest "sprayed with Roundup."

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
I can kinda see his point, but it makes no sense when he had time to add dlc for ESO, a F76 ad and MS Flight Sim dlc, Halo Infinite is a live service game, it needs to be shown, it needs to be talked about, a live service without mind share will just wither away, without a massive comeback, that's the fate that awaits Halo infinite, like it or not, it needed to be shown and talked about in their big show to try retaining any semblance of positive attention, because as it stands, the only way Halo infinite is talked about is in a Halo is dead way

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Did he really sneak Fable in, and call them "horsemen of the apocalypse"?

1686950067219.gif

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
yikes. the game is out over 4k of players(console and pc) waiting in fluctuation. so why look there on those 20 studios when it's out there already. a great majority of the games shown didn't have release dates and are scheduled for 2024 where dates could change... crazy thing is. a great majority of the platforms fanboys with braggin rights. dont care for flight sim (its a niche enthusiast market) and as high as they claim brags for starfield lets be honest a great bunch will spend 2-3 hrs and call it game of the year just because. if halo had worthwhile content it could grow...maybe.

200.gif
What the fuck are you even trying to say?