Physical games make up 60% of 1st party unit sales for Sony, for games like Death Stranding (PS5) and Uncharted 4 physical sales are more than 80%

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Does anyone have an explanationfor the DS numbers? I accept them but am curious as to why.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Does anyone have an explanationfor the DS numbers? I accept them but am curious as to why.

My guess:

The total sales for the PS5 version aren't that high (maybe also due to it's inclusion in Extra), which could mean it sold mostly to enthusiasts who wanted a complete edition in their collection.

I also doubt they are counting the 10€/$ upgrade from the PS4 version as a digital sale.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Very surprising. If this is the case, why are so many retailers pushing for digital-only games now?
retailers take a 10+% cut for shelf space, then you need to pay distributors another 5-10% for shipping and distribution, manufacturing costs takes a few%, platform holder still takes 30%... margins on physical sales are much much lower than digital

Reactions: ResidentMedieval

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
retailers take a 10+% cut for shelf space, then you need to pay distributors another 5-10% for shipping and distribution, manufacturing costs takes a few%, platform holder still takes 30%... margins on physical sales are much much lower than digital
I still remember when we were told that digital was good because it would lower costs. Then, as with all these promises, it wasn't, and only leads to the increase in profit margins.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Physical games are my favorite thing PS5 has in comparison to PC at this point.

Last edited:

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
I thought Sony 1st party titles were mostly sold digitally like many had said, especially in Japan after physical sales were bomba left and right.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I thought Sony 1st party titles were mostly sold digitally like many had said, especially in Japan after physical sales were bomba left and right.
Alot of companies are skewing towards digital in general but not all.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Funny you say that as Japan has the highest digital ratio of the regions listed in the leak.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Robert Redford Yes GIF by GritTV