PlayStation 6 Is Planned to Be the Most Powerful Console of Its Gen; Sony Only Considering AMD |UP| Will have handheld & AMD contracts signed.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
WAY too early to start talking about next gen consoles. Current gen ones are barely hitting their stride after a long ass cross gen period.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

jimmy289

5 Feb 2024
I doubt it. I don't think MS will give up the power crown. Xbox One X > ps4 pro, Xbox series X>PS5.

24 Jun 2022
I doubt it. I don't think MS will give up the power crown. Xbox One X > ps4 pro, Xbox series X>PS5.

Uh...none of those Xbox consoles are more capable than their PlayStation counterparts in practice. One X games often traded framerate for resolution, and we've been seeing the same happen (with even smaller visible gains even when it's done) between Series X and PS5.

At this point in Xbox's console career, it needs to stop trying to chase "most powerful" in paper specs, and deliver something genuinely interesting in terms of usefulness and immersion. Same can be said for Sony and PlayStation; more power is great, but not if the console doesn't offer anything cool and unique in terms of value immersion or game design.

That's why I'm still holding out for a PS6 with some affordable VR/AR headset standard in every box, and games & the UI able to fully leverage the tech for immersion purposes. Hopefully it also supports local multiplayer VR with 2-4 headset users in the same physical space (obviously, this'd require the ability for headsets to detect proximity to one another and direction of that proximity as well, which would be handled with sensors).

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
That ship sailed a long time ago, I am afraid.

Sony not only managed to build a machine that can go toe-toe with something that is more expensive and has 2 teraflops higher but also managed to throw in a better controller and a faster SSD.

As Cerny said, there is more to consoles than just Tflops.

Besides, power narratives are not what is important; it's the games, and Sony has that in spades.

+ If the leaks are true, Xbox will be giving some of those up, too.

Why on Greens god's earth anyone outside of the most hardcore " I die for you Xbox fans " would buy a next-generation Xbox is beyond me.

I hope you are not one of those people.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
I do hope Sony stays with AMD simply because it's what they used for this and last generation so it would be a very smooth transition. Would also allow backwards compatibility and everything to carry over easily.

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Uh...none of those Xbox consoles are more capable than their PlayStation counterparts in practice. One X games often traded framerate for resolution, and we've been seeing the same happen (with even smaller visible gains even when it's done) between Series X and PS5.

At this point in Xbox's console career, it needs to stop trying to chase "most powerful" in paper specs, and deliver something genuinely interesting in terms of usefulness and immersion. Same can be said for Sony and PlayStation; more power is great, but not if the console doesn't offer anything cool and unique in terms of value immersion or game design.

That's why I'm still holding out for a PS6 with some affordable VR/AR headset standard in every box, and games & the UI able to fully leverage the tech for immersion purposes. Hopefully it also supports local multiplayer VR with 2-4 headset users in the same physical space (obviously, this'd require the ability for headsets to detect proximity to one another and direction of that proximity as well, which would be handled with sensors).

Why would you want VR to be packed in the box? That's like $1000 and no way is Sony doing that.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The PS4 Pro was released 18 months before the One X, even then in many games they seemed to trade performance for quality, so not really a "win".

As for PS5 vs Series X, the vast majority of the time the PS5 has the advantage for reasons we knew back in 2020 but many refused to understand.

So I'm not sure what you mean by MS not giving up the power crown, they have not had a claim for this in the last 10-15 years or so.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Way too early for any meaningful speculation on PS6 specs. I think PS5's specs weren't certain until 2019?

That being said, "strongest console" is just marketing speak. No shit a new generation of console is aiming to be the most powerful one ever. Microsoft threw those "most powerful console" around a good while, and I remember the embarrassing TFLOPs talk from people who didn't understand FLOPs are the theoretical maximum for the hardware and don't take bottlenecks or inefficiencies into account.

I would hope PS6 is simply capable of 4K/60 with RT on, even if it means using FSR to hit that resolution. The only real hurdle left to climb nowadays is minimizing the performance penalty of RT and similar lighting effects. If the PS6 is meaningfully stronger than 5, it should be easy as shit for a PS6 to do 4K/60 with RT off, so it shouldn't even need to be a concern or discussion.

I will say though: 2028 does seem feasible considering how insanely slow third-parties are when it comes to committing to current gen-only releases. The bigger AAA players have done it already, but the AA studios are still hesitant, and the longer this goes on, the more people there will be who wait to buy a PS6. Why would they be an early adopter when it took up to three years or more for their favorite publishers to commit exclusively to the new generation?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Way too early for any meaningful speculation on PS6 specs. I think PS5's specs weren't certain until 2019?

That being said, "strongest console" is just marketing speak. No shit a new generation of console is aiming to be the most powerful one ever. Microsoft threw those "most powerful console" around a good while, and I remember the embarrassing TFLOPs talk from people who didn't understand FLOPs are the theoretical maximum for the hardware and don't take bottlenecks or inefficiencies into account.

I would hope PS6 is simply capable of 4K/60 with RT on, even if it means using FSR to hit that resolution. The only real hurdle left to climb nowadays is minimizing the performance penalty of RT and similar lighting effects. If the PS6 is meaningfully stronger than 5, it should be easy as shit for a PS6 to do 4K/60 with RT off, so it shouldn't even need to be a concern or discussion.

I will say though: 2028 does seem feasible considering how insanely slow third-parties are when it comes to committing to current gen-only releases. The bigger AAA players have done it already, but the AA studios are still hesitant, and the longer this goes on, the more people there will be who wait to buy a PS6. Why would they be an early adopter when it took up to three years or more for their favorite publishers to commit exclusively to the new generation?
Never too early to speculate. It's done every generation with every hardware especially since the next itineraration of the console is being visualized and starts it's development a little before current gen release or soon after. PS6 has been more than likely worked on in different stages since 2020. This is a known process as many companies such as Sony have said that much themselves in interviews.

I get what you mean obviously the hardware sjevs have not been closed down yet but speculation is fun and we all know it's been worked on for several years now.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I will not focus on specific specs, it will be more powerful.

The question is what will they focus on?

Could AI be advanced enough that they could use the GPU to "paint" each frame in a game instead of "rendering" it as they do now?

Again with AI, beyond the specs, they will certainly implement high end upscaling and frame generation techniques... but then we already have DLSS and what not now.

So beyond that I have no clue what kind of real innovation they will want to make, Cerny knows tho.

Could someone invite Cerny to join the forum so we can ask?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
2028. I dont see it being later than 2027
It should be really easy for the PS5 to make it to 2028 with the right amount of support and a PS5 Pro. That extra year could be extremely valuable to figured out a proper solution to RT, saving them time and money when developing games going forward.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Only considering AMD is not good imo.

There's hardly any alternative if they intend to keep backwards compatibility.

Regardless, high performance semicustom SoCs for consoles is a low-margins business that doesn't interest Nvidia, and Intel isn't exactly in the right place to compete with AMD in GPU performance yet.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I will not focus on specific specs, it will be more powerful.

The question is what will they focus on?

Could AI be advanced enough that they could use the GPU to "paint" each frame in a game instead of "rendering" it as they do now?

Again with AI, beyond the specs, they will certainly implement high end upscaling and frame generation techniques... but then we already have DLSS and what not now.

So beyond that I have no clue what kind of real innovation they will want to make, Cerny knows tho.

Could someone invite Cerny to join the forum so we can ask?
Love Cernys breakdown of the tech in Playstations. I cannot wait for his next one. Such an easy person to listen to and understand. He was born for this type of work.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
There's hardly any alternative if they intend to keep backwards compatibility.

Regardless, high performance semicustom SoCs for consoles is a low-margins business that doesn't interest Nvidia, and Intel isn't exactly in the right place to compete with AMD in GPU performance yet.

They have been designing technology together for a good while and it has had great results.