PLAYSTATION 6: Potential Innovations, Features, Business Strategies & More (Speculation)

What THREE things are YOU looking most forward to from a PS6 in 10th Gen?

• Large visual fidelity jump over PS5 & PS5 Pro

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Big 1P superhero games (Spiderman, X-Men etc.)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • New 1P AAA and AA original IP

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Return of 1P classic/legacy IP

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Immersive innovation in UI (user interface)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Immersive innovation & standardization in I/O (VR/AR, controller etc.)

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Innovative technologies (AI, PNM/PIM, chiplets scalability etc.)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Expanded user experience (console, mobile, cloud/streaming, PC)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So it's okay for someone to keep taking words out of context? And you go around liking the comments. But if I jeer them it's an issue? 🤨
Did someone attack you and is condescending towards you. They are making comments off their opinions and your attacking them and being pompous Last time ima repeat myself because I see what type of person you are. Ima leave it at tht.

"Do y'all just look at words on this forum? Then respond?"

Reading is fundamental and you should try it.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Did someone attack you and is condescending towards you. They are making comments off their opinions and your attacking them and being pompous Last time ima repeat myself because I see what type of person you are. Ima leave it at tht.
Where am I attacking them? Like stop the nonsense. He quoted my comment and has consistently twisted my words even though I explained it had nothing do with PSVR2.

Now stop trying to scold me as if this is the 3rd grade. If we're gonna get to this point I'll simply leave this forum. And you don't know me as person... 🤣

Good day!

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Where am I attacking them? Like stop the nonsense. He quoted my comment and has consistently twisted my words even though I explained it had nothing do with PSVR2.

Now stop trying to scold me as if this is the 3rd grade. If we're gonna get this point. I simply leave this forum.

Good day!
You will now cool off. That better than though attitude will not be accepted here. Telling ppl reading is fundamental and go read and being all pompous is attacking and disrespecting ppls intelligence. Go cool off, you need to.

And it's OK if you leave the forum thts on you. We don't need tht attitude here.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Alot of good theories and speculation posted.

My question is, will 8K be wide spread enough to justify a huge jump in power? In my opinion the answer will be No.

So what sony do? I think investing in, and acquiring key partners should be their main priority at the moment to actually have software for the future. I think alternative ways to play will be a big thing going forward. What i mean by that is gaming on the go like the steam deck and PS Portal but not necessarily "Mobile" gaming if that makes sense. Maybe double down on VR with the current tech but find ways to make it cheaper and more mainstream? Backwards compatibility with all PS consoles.

Im not saying they should cheap out and make a weak console, but maybe make something with a 399/449 price point in mind (In 2028 that would be a very budget console) with a emphasis on 4k 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles.

Yeah, if you've gotten a hint from what I was speculating in OP, my opinion on the "more power" POV is that it simply isn't enough to justify what'd feel like a new gen going forward, IMO. Plus native 8K will be a resource waster, when DLSS-like techniques could take native 4K and upscale it to 8K and potentially look better than native 8K in most cases, while keeping internal rendering resources much smaller.

Things like BC (with PS5 & PS4 for certain), those are a given. I do think, or at least very much hope, they can do a sufficiently capable PS6, likely in 2028, that can include a cheap entry-level headset (using PS.Link and wifi to offload virtually all processing to the console, and affordable components like decent (at least 1080p per eye) lenses and framerate (90 Hz refresh, basically what the PSVR1 offered) at $499, and models with a basic disc drive (PS6/5/4 physical game compatibility) at $599.

Considering PS5 Pro is supposedly set to get 1.5x - 2x TF perf of base PS5, 2x rasterization, much better RT (with custom hardware factored in)...I don't see how a PS6 offering say ~ 35-40 TF, 32 GB RAM, improved RT, customizations for RT & AI, a more performant CPU (no idea if it'd need more than 8 power cores; maybe they do a 8 Power/8 Efficiency or 12 Power/4 Efficiency type approach where in latter's case the Efficiency cores are for the OS) really breaks the bank at $399, especially if the physical drive is optional. They wouldn't even need monumentally faster SSDs or significantly larger drives by default; 2 TB SSD with maybe 12-16 GB/s bandwidth (less bandwidth with better decompression tech) should be enough and if there's a tradeoff between size and speed there, go for lower speed but better decompression.

The key IMO is getting costs for an entry-level headset down to ~ $100, that way they can do the console & headset for a $499 MSRP. They'd make other, more performant versions of the headset of course that would be more expensive, but they'd be purchased separately. I think advances with Remote Play and PS.Link in the PS Portal will be very important here.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, if you've gotten a hint from what I was speculating in OP, my opinion on the "more power" POV is that it simply isn't enough to justify what'd feel like a new gen going forward, IMO. Plus native 8K will be a resource waster, when DLSS-like techniques could take native 4K and upscale it to 8K and potentially look better than native 8K in most cases, while keeping internal rendering resources much smaller.

Things like BC (with PS5 & PS4 for certain), those are a given. I do think, or at least very much hope, they can do a sufficiently capable PS6, likely in 2028, that can include a cheap entry-level headset (using PS.Link and wifi to offload virtually all processing to the console, and affordable components like decent (at least 1080p per eye) lenses and framerate (90 Hz refresh, basically what the PSVR1 offered) at $499, and models with a basic disc drive (PS6/5/4 physical game compatibility) at $599.

Considering PS5 Pro is supposedly set to get 1.5x - 2x TF perf of base PS5, 2x rasterization, much better RT (with custom hardware factored in)...I don't see how a PS6 offering say ~ 35-40 TF, 32 GB RAM, improved RT, customizations for RT & AI, a more performant CPU (no idea if it'd need more than 8 power cores; maybe they do a 8 Power/8 Efficiency or 12 Power/4 Efficiency type approach where in latter's case the Efficiency cores are for the OS) really breaks the bank at $399, especially if the physical drive is optional. They wouldn't even need monumentally faster SSDs or significantly larger drives by default; 2 TB SSD with maybe 12-16 GB/s bandwidth (less bandwidth with better decompression tech) should be enough and if there's a tradeoff between size and speed there, go for lower speed but better decompression.

The key IMO is getting costs for an entry-level headset down to ~ $100, that way they can do the console & headset for a $499 MSRP. They'd make other, more performant versions of the headset of course that would be more expensive, but they'd be purchased separately. I think advances with Remote Play and PS.Link in the PS Portal will be very important here.
Yeah the push for 8K isn't so appealing to me especially since 8K options are so scarce. What made me love PS5 was the controller, fast SSD, quality of life upgrades, exclusives, PSVR2, etc Bring something innovative to the table or double down on something existing and make better and I'm happy. Graphics for me are at a point where anything further is negligible unless of course it's advancement in PSVR graphics which there is still lots of room there to improve. Ultimately as I mentioned before I'd love all games on PS6 to be VR compatible.

Also this...

"I think advances with Remote Play and PS.Link in the PS Portal will be very important here" advances in these aspects as well as PSVR tech has larger broader implications for gaming as a whole. I'm happy every gen Sony kept advancing remote play.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
PSVR and Portal are both there to serve important strategic functions. They're, above everything else, a check on competitors. Not so much say a check on Nintendo on the handheld market but on the Steamdeck and other PC handhelds - a foot in the door in case handheld gaming sees an explosion in mass consumer adoption (wherein a more complete and elaborate product offering will then be an absolute requirement). Same for VR, to keep pace with, and lead if there is any market shift towards VR - a check on META (who btw bleeds enormously with their VR venture - making the PSVR2 troubles look like a walk in the park). I support both endeavors, despite whatever criticisms, as long as it doesn't break the bank.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not much I'd add here vs. what you mentioned in the GAF post, outside of, again, I don't see 64 GB of RAM being possible, or maybe even necessary. Compression and decompression tech will get better for the SSD I/O, and the GPUs will be better at decompressing GPU-format data themselves, so they probably only really need to double the RAM capacity but get something closer to effectively 3x current gen in practical usage.
More RAM allow more dense and detailed images/worlds/objects in engines that do stuff like Lumen or Nanite, and wouldn't need to stream from SSD that frequently so could save resources to do something else. If they are also use AI to improve some stuff such as DLSS (including frame generation) equivalent, or for several AI things Sony patented (such as offering different types of help to the player depending on his behavior and the one from similar players) extra RAM is required for that. It also would help with other things like multitasking.

I think it's more likely that we'll get 32GB, but if by 2027 they can get 64GB for a decent pricing I'd go for it.

Maybe the only other thing I'd see happening differently is the use of PS6 games purchased across all device types. I can't see Sony letting users do that without still having a PS6 in some capacity, so something where user root privileges are tied to the console in some hidden partition synced with the cloud over their network. Only then can a user stream their purchased game to any of those other devices.
My idea is that PSN would be their PS6+PC+Mobile crossbuy store. You buy the game once and have it in all platforms to be played there natively (if released there) or via cloud gaming. With cross-save if you have PS+ via cloud saves .

PS6 would continue having exclusives + BC (which woudln't be available in PC/mobile), and the -mainly non GaaS- PC ports would continue to be released later than in PS, 2+ years than its original release. So a small portion of the PC and mobile players would want to migrate to PS to play all the games natively.

The sales of PS6 1P and 3P games (main SIE business) would increase because even people without the PS6 hardware would buy PS6 games and PS+ subscription.

No remote play needed: if a mobile player who doesn't own the console would be able to pay PS+ Premium, buy a PS6 to play it via streaming like in Stadia. If later he gets a PS6 would be able to play it natively. Same goes with PC, could be played natively in PC if the game was released on PC.

A PC player would be able to pay PS+ Premium and buy PS6 game to play them in via cloud gaming if not released for PC. To play it natively they'd have to buy a PS6 or to wait until they release it on PC if they ever port it.

TBH I'd like to see Horizon 3 as a next-gen only game; HFW is still easily one of the best-looking games on the market, even the base PS4 version. But Burning Shores shows that ambitions were held back by needing to support PS4. I don't want Horizon 3 to be similarly held back by PS5 by the time it releases later on in the decade. So I'd like that to be a next-gen only offering.

According to the leaked roadmap, Spiderman 3 Part 1 is scheduled for a 2027 release. Honestly if it were up to me, I'd just let Venom be a "swan song" of sorts from Insomniac for the PS5 gen, and get Spiderman 3 lined up for PS6's launch as a next-gen exclusive. Between that and Horizon 3 they'd have two massive heavy-hitters out of the gate. That could give the next God of War another year or so in development.
The thing is that launch games don't sell a shit due to low userbase available in the first year. So the launch games better be crossgen or cheap. So if Horizon 3 or Spider-Man 3 are released in launch window/launch day, they should be crossgen to don't cause a financial disaster.

On top of this, both games are now under development but they don't have next gen specs, devkits or engines, so they are being made as PS5 games and even if releasing them as PS6 only games they'd look the same. The only difference between making them crossgen or not would be basically to leave money in the table.

IIRC Team Asobi are making some new Astrobot game for the PS5; if they can do something for the PS5 and it's free, it'd probably be a scaled-down (in size) version of whatever they release for PS5, and serving the role Astro's Playroom did at PS5's launch. I wouldn't expect it to be a full game in that role. The other stuff I can see happening no problem.
We don't know if their next game will be Astrobot or not. We know it's going to be a 3D action game with humor that will be bigger than the Astro games. Independently of being an Astrobot game or not, I expect it to be released in late 2024 or more likely 2025.

In addition to this game, they have been working on many prototypes. I assume some of these prototypes are to test potential new PS6 stuff, so they could merge them into a small and free Astro ready for PS6 launch.

mm...there has to be some caveats here. For starters cross-play should be optional, not forced. A console FPS player shouldn't be forced to play with a PC FPS player who might have more suitable controls, more powerful rig and higher-refresh monitor which would give them a competitive advantage. They also shouldn't be forced to play against mobile players who could be hampered by inferior input methods and thus not provide a suitable challenge or teamwork.
I don't know about crossplay shooters, but in the Street Fighter games you have an option to enable or disable crossplay.

Another thing with cross-buy is that it effectively eliminates the need for double-dipping, but that also means less software revenue. Including mobile and PC in that mix, this IMO could only honestly work if Sony has their own storefront on both of those platforms, and cross-buy is limited to the storefront level. It doesn't make business sense for Sony to let a PS6 owner buy a PC version of their game on Steam and then not need to buy that game off the PS Store for the console, but still get a copy for their PS6.
As I mentioned the PC and mobile players would be from Sony's storefront: their PSN store. No 30%/12% paid to anyone. PSN would be the only PC/Android store where they'd release their PS6 games (the ones released for PC/Android).

After a few years building userbase with PS5 games that would also be released on Steam, Epic and Google Play. The games you got in Steam, Epic or Google Play would be automatically added to your PSN library.

From my understanding, that's kind of how Microsoft's cross-buy works; the root platform you initially buy on doesn't matter, as the cross-buy license is at the software level.
Yes, Microsoft copied Sony's patented cross-buy and works in the same way. Sony did use it between PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4, PS5 and now they'd add PS6, PC and mobile.

But for a company like Microsoft, that business model is fine because they aren't nearly as reliant on game software revenue as a main pillar, in relation to the rest of the corporation's cash flow. For companies like Sony that isn't the case; if they can provide incentives to double-dip, that works better for them, and can still be fair for customers.
Yes, I think it's more likely that Sony will continue making double dip even in their own PC/mobile store. But looking at what they did with their other stores for the different home and portable consoles, crossbuy, I think it's something they'll also use in PC and mobile.

Having crossbuy makes both strores more appealing for the user because having catalog in another makes more appealing the other one, and gives more value to the purchased game.

A PS (or even a PC non PS) user if some day wants to buy some PC game, may prefer to do it on PSN instead of in Steam knowing that with the PSN version he also will have the game availabe to play on PS. Or if it's a game like Fortnite/PUBG/Genshin Impact, may get it there because his progress and purchases there will be also available in his phone version.

And for PS6 games not available to be bought/played natively on mobile or PC, they'd be able to be bought to play in the cloud in that store too if they also bought PS+ Premium.

Sony would want to grow their PC and mobile stores as much as possible, and being a bit generous in exchange of providing extra value would help. At the end, the user already would have purchased the game but now it could be engaged to the game in more places, so in average could play more time. Which means that on average would spend more.

I'd picture Sony going about it like this: if there's no PC or mobile PS storefront involved, you still get cross-save and cross-play across all supported devices in the ecosystem, but cross-buy is probably only available to users who buy the console version initially, and the cross-buy is more like a discount for another version of the game on a different platform (PC for example), that discount tied to a PS+ membership and maybe using PS Reward points across devices.
There would be a PC and mobile storefront. It could be the same PSN store already available in the PS App or web, but adding here PC or mobile tabs as platform. Crossbuy and cross-save wouldn't work with Steam/Epic/Google Play. It would only work between PS consoles and the games from the PSN PC/mobile storefronts. Crossplay would continue working with everything because for multiplayer games is key to have access to the bigger pool of players possible, specially in the competitive ones. Because the more people available the more chances are to find connected someone closer to you (less latency/ping) and with more similar level/rank to you (more fun and less frustrating gameplay).

With a storefront on PC and mobile, that changes a lot. Particularly with cross-buy, where as long as the purchases are on PS storefronts, it doesn't matter the initial device the game is purchased for, and you don't need a PS+ membership to get a discount on buying the game on another platform (but with a membership, you can get an even better discount). I think that makes more sense for the business model here.
It could also work with a discount. But I think it would be more effective and welcomed doing it rossplay to reduce as much as possible the negativity of some hardcore fans who can't accept that Sony needs to grow to PC and mobile.

Nah, some of this is probably going to change even within the next 12 months. For starters I really do think that porting window is going to increase; for the current-gen games that do get ports, it should be 4-6 years after console, not 1-2, and should be within 1-2 years of a new entry or big release from that studio coming to console. But this is assuming no plans for a storefront on PC (that they're somehow able to monetize tying in PS+ subscriptions as optional).
No, Uncharted 4 being released 6 years after its original release performed way worse than the other big sellers even if bundled with a shorter game. I think partially also due to being the 4th entry and not the 1st one. With TLOU worked well being a 10 years old game but I think because it also was a recent remake and had the tv show bump. Sony is happy with the around 2+ years since original release timeframe for non-GaaS titles, so I think they'll continue with it.

I think they'll continue wanting to keep it even in their PC storefront to continue giving their console some timed exclusivity for the games planned to be ported.

I think that strategy changes heavily if Sony have their own storefront on PC, but I also don't feel they're in the position (either in need or want) to do this for many more years.
We don't know when Sony will release their PC store, but we know they are working on it. So it's fair to assume they'll release it in a few years. I'd say they are simply waiting to build a good enough library of 1st party PC games.

Yeah for GaaS/live-service titles a tiered approach of no ports (some games), Day 1 (some other games) and 1-2 years (yet some other games) would be best. Again, assuming there is no PS storefront on these platforms.
I'd keep that even with their PC storefront

I mean, in an eventuality where Sony does bring a PS storefront to PC and mobile, I would expect this. I'd also expect them to court 3Ps who are already doing PC ports to make those PC versions available on their own storefront, and same with mobile there. Otherwise as you've said, it'd be relegated to cloud for the time being.

That said, I don't see Sony really making this type of push anytime too soon. Once they start prioritizing PS store for PC and mobile, some form of erosion is naturally going to set in for the console side of things. It will, naturally, create less value proposition for the console, so it's best to only really begin this push when it seems the console market in and of itself is finally beginning to truly shrink.

Which, at least for Sony and Nintendo, isn't happening right now or for the foreseeable future. And, doesn't have to happen for a good while longer if they continue to innovate in how they develop and position their consoles in the gaming market, taking advantage of what that business model can do for game development, technological development & innovation, scale of production & manufacture, and the such. That's why with this PS6 speculation, for example, I tried steering away from too much on the technical specs like what the GPU TF, ROPs, bandwidth etc. are going to be, because to me "more power" isn't going to be enough of a factor.
Their priority will continue being their console, because it will continue being their main revenue and profit source for many years.

I think their PC and mobile userbase will slowly grow and will take several years to have a big and meaningful userbase. But will continue being their main revenue source for minimum a decade or two from now.

Their console will continue being the best place to play, with the biggest catalog and the only place where you can play natively many games at least temporally. And now will have the extra value of that if you travel you'll be able to play your games on a smart tv, mobile, PC, PS Player etc. often via cloud gaming. And some people will buy games for it or the PS+ Premium subs even if they don't own the console.

Regarding specific content for the PC store, they acquired or hired dedicated porters. And regarding mobile (+ PC) they have also making many deals with top mobile Japanese, Chinese or Asian publishers and devs. So their console teams will continue focused on console, SIE will have other people for the PC and mobile stuff.

In the PS5 generation we'll see the first steps, but specially in the PS6 generation we'll see MS, Epic, Sony, Apple, Amazon, Google, Tencent trying to have their crossplatform gaming platforms that will cover PC, mobile, smart tvs and in some cases console partially via cloud gaming. Nintendo too, but as always like in any innovation they'll go like 10 years late.

So for Sony, again it's going to be important to be the innovator and lead the way since the start and build an unmatchable userbase and catalog before other ones do. As happened with cloud gaming, multi game subs, console VR and many other things it will grow slowly and there will be haters, but they'll lead it.

For me, when it comes to M&As I think Sony only need one or two big (well, quite small compared to ABK, but you get the point) 3P publishers, preferably one Japanese/Asian and one Western, to round out their 1P pipeline. I don't see publishers like Capcom being acquired, but like you said, joint ventures/key investments (and I'd also add share purchases to that) etc. would go a long, long way.

I think as far as M&As go, the Japanese/Asian prospect most likely comes down to Square-Enix or MiHoYo, or an equivalent to MiHoYo in the Chinese/Korean space with lots of GaaS/live-service experience and success. Or, Sony could look for a studio to complement the Aniplex side that do the Demon Slayer mobile GaaS title, and adopt that scaled up to the console & PC with other popular anime IP, maybe in tandem with those Kadokawa owns or Square-Enix work with, and maybe with several popular IP in one GaaS live-service property.
After the success with MiHoyo, they are signing similar partnerships with oher Asian studios, as the recent one with a top Japanese mobile dev, who has some games that seem to have potential to be the next MiHoyo when expanding them outside Japan and probably also bring them to console. I assume they'll try making games with them and wherever they see the opportunity they will acquire.

I'm not sure about the possibilities of acquiring Chinese companies like MiHoyo, whose value skyrocketed due to the big Genshin success. Because the Chinese government is very protective with strategic companies being acquired by foreigners, and also many of their big companies are partially or totally owned by their government to avoid foreign interference or foreign governments using them to spy them.

In that case, they wouldn't need to acquire a prospect like MiHoYo (though, continuing to partner with and invest in companies like MiHoYo should be a priority); a smaller studio could probably work better, like Vanillaware or Arc System Works, or Level 5, and you just establish things between them and the Aniplex studio, adopt the Demon Slayer framework to scale on console & PC, get some popular anime licenses to work with and get to work. Maybe any team members from the FF XIV and From Software sides wanting to work on such a project could be picked up, and maybe some with experience working on IP like Monster Hunter would like to work on something like this as well.
I love the games from Vanillaware or ArcSys, but they don't sell a shit. Unless in the case of ArcSys, when they did use the Dragon Ball IP in this recent game (in the past they did one for GBA that didn't work). I think it would be great to actuire ArcSys too to allow them use top Sony IPs who could fit. I think it would be positive for Sony, specially for the eSports and cross-division potential.

Regarding the MiHoYo-like projects, they are in a very different scale: making console+mobile+PC F2P GaaS titles they reach a way bigger audience and potential revenue.

For the Western side, it'd probably come down to one or two of them for an M&A: either Annapurna or Devolver Digital, and either Dotemu or Raw Fury. Likely wouldn't be all four. I'd personally also consider Ember Lab.
Yes, I didn't mean they should acquire all of them. Same goes with the big publishers. I assume many of them won't want to sell, or that it would be too expensive all, at least relatively at the same time. I think they should approach them all to explore possibilities. Maybe some will be open to sell, other may be open to some timed exclusives or marketing deals, other one may be ok with a joint venture, etc.

Yeah, good potential strategies. I'd say tho that even if M&As of any of these doesn't happen, nothing stops Sony from pursuing most of these strategies. For example, they can easily still partner with Bandai-Namco for SIE-themed merchandise, or Kadokawa/Square-Enix for some new feature to Crunchyroll that includes 'interactive manga', as some additional tier. Which can then be made available in some sampler way to PS+ subscribers (same with Crunchyroll, in a sort of sampler form) at no additional charge (I mean they did just increase the sub costs by 33% :/).

They can partner with companies like Kadokawa, Bandai-Namco, Sqaure-Enix etc. now to do art books, novels, manga adaptations etc. of certain SIE properties. It'd just be between two independent companies, so revenues would be going split between them and profits as well. Finding ways to tie some of this stuff into the PS console proper (like for example, as perks of being a PS+ subscriber, or being able to use PS Reward points towards redeeming for digital versions of these types of manga volumes and artbooks), is where it'd get really interesting.
Yes, beyond acquisitions they can make deals in these extra areas, which could also ease extra deals in gaming.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No! Nothing was debunked. They posted old metics for the first 6 weeks of PSVR2 sales compared to that of the original. I was referring to what Eric Lempel said 2 weeks ago?
Eric Lempel never said that PSVR2 underperformed. This is what he said in Barron's:

"The VR category is important to us. It’s a category that can help us with innovation. It’s never going to be the only way people play games, but I’m happy that we’re in it. There are great experiences to be had and consumers really like it. But it’s a nascent business for us. It’s something that we want to be a part of but it’s not the core proposition we have this season. PlayStation 5 is the core."

So the truth: that they are ok with PSVR but they are aware that VR is still a nascent market and that their core business is the PS5.

For the Financial times just after saying they had their best November ever for PlayStation in both dollars and units and that accesories also sold well that month he specified:

“VR is a bit of a challenging category right now,” Lempel said, although its own sales were “going well”. Sony remained committed to virtual reality products, he said, but added: “I think there was a higher expectation generally for what VR would do to gaming.”

So that VR is a bit of a challenging category right now and he thinks there was a higher expectation generally for what that VR category would do to gaming but their own VR sales are going well. Notice that the interviewer splits the same sentence regarding VR in 3 parts, being only the 2nd specific about PSVR2.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Now stop trying to scold me as if this is the 3rd grade. If we're gonna get to this point I'll simply leave this forum. And you don't know me as person... 🤣

Good day!
I was surprised to see you were banned.

I'm going to show my support and hope you come back ❤️

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Release PS6 with more exclusive games, Sony Studios games, 1st and 3rd party. No Cross gen crap.

Ill be happy if they do that with a large technical improvement over PS5 Pro. Also tell us whats in the pipeline with good shows like prior to 2018 E3 shows.

PS6 exclusives and good tech, nothing else mattes to me. This gen overall has been good, love the console but also underwhelming due to lack of true exclusives. We have FF16, Spiderman 2 and thats about it tbh, everything else is cross gen or on PC.

PS4 had more exclusives and better idea of what was coming next. By 2016 we got Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and more plus we knew games like Spiderman, Horizon, God of War, Detroit were already out or coming EXCLUSIVELY to PS4. Not PS3 or PC

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hardware specs and accesories
  • Way better visuals thanks to highly better RT, real time global illumination and propietary better version of DLSS up to 8K 240Hz fom a native 1080p 60fps code
  • 64 GB of RAM
  • 2TB SSD, faster than the PS5 one
  • Wifi 8 (100Gbps, reduced latency of hopefully way under 25 ms, hopefully longer reach)
  • This time the optional disc reader also reads quadruple layer bluray discs (up to 128GB), dvds, cds and has UMD and Vita Cards reader to allow full BC inluding to run original PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP, Vita games plus their memory cards
  • Once you install a physical disc don't need to put the disc again to play the game. All bought PS6 games can also be played via streaming, not only in PS6 but also in PS Portal, PC, mobile or smart tvs
  • Dual Sense 2 now also emits smells and it's splittable to attach it to the sides of any phone or tablet. Features improved haptics and battery time
  • All PS6 games available in both PS6 and the PSN PC or mobile stores are fully cross-buy, cross-play and cross-save
  • PS Portal 2: DualSense 2 version of PS Portal with a 4K OLED display and wifi8, features remote play, PS cloud gaming and PSN Android store and Sony Android games
  • Wireless PSVR3 with AR, full hand and body tracking, 8K resolution, some stuff to feel inertia/acceleration (like in racing games)
PS6 launch window games
  • Firesprite arcade racer that merges Wipeout, Rollcage, Jet Moto, Motorstorm, Destiny, Horizon, Marathon IPs as launch next gen only game (ready to have PSVR3 support day one)
  • Venom as launch crossgen game
  • Bend's new IP as launch crossgen game
  • Astrobot as free launch next gen only game
  • Horizon 3 as year 1 crossgen game
  • God of War set in a new mythology as year 1 next gen only game
Business model
  • Ultimate BC: Play locally on PS6 or also (only via remote play or cloud gaming on mobile/PS Portal/PC/smart tvs) all physical or digital games you ever bought in all generations of home and portable PS consoles
  • Ultimate seamless cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play between PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4, PS5, PS6, PC and mobile for the games available in the PSN digital stores of these platforms to be played locally there. Also applied to their cloud versions
  • Non-GaaS AAA PS Studios games continue being released only on PS. Some of them (not all) get ported 2 or more years after their original release to PC or mobile and included in PS+
  • Same applies for some GaaS. Other GaaS instead get released day one on PC and/or mobile
  • PSN PC and mobile store features the same games than the PS6 to purchase including 3P, but some of them are only to be played via cloud gaming. Only the ones ported have a downloadable version to be played locally on PC or mobile
Acquisitions and investments
  • Thanks to expanding to GaaS, PC and mobile Sony's revenue and profits would have been skyrocketing from 2024 to 2028 so they'd use an important part of it on acquisitions, plus whatever they get from selling their banks division in a couple years from now
Cross-media
  • Continue pushing the movie / tv-show / anime adaptations of SIE IPs
  • If Bandai Namco acquisition ends being possible, open a toys division (Bandai Namco is the top 2 toys company in the world) under Sony and let them make toys, sculptures, figurines of SIE and Sony Pictures IPs to maximize revenue, some of which would be used in collector editions of SIE games
  • If Kadokawa / Bandai Namco / Square Enix acquisitions end being possible, open a Sony Books division to put there all their manga, books and magazines and offer all their catalog online inside a single digital service. Make them use the SIE, Sony Pictures, Sony Music IPs to make manga adaptations, art books, novels or random books. Use their games and manga IPs to make anime / movie / tv show adaptations. Some of them would be used in special/collector editions of SIE games
  • If they manage to make these previous acquisition and open their toys and books divisions, one everything has been properly integrated then acquire Shueisha and Toei Animation to get also their manga and anime rights, joining the others to make manga and anime of Sony IPs
  • The idea would be to turn Sony into the worldwide top 1 company in gaming, anime, manga and toys company in the world and using that not only to crosspromote these businesses, but also to further push their movies/tv shows/music businesses to end also being top 1 in these other departments in the long term

As I remember right now there BR discs of 4 layers, with up to 128GB of space. If big discs need more they could use a download or seccond disc.

They have no loses to cut. Regarding VR, they were happy with PSVR1 and PSVR2 is according their estimates: outselling PSVR1 but still being a secondary platform for them. It's a long term bet.
I agree with most of this. Apart from PC and Crossgen. Gaas yes, Mobile yes. BC 100% yes. The rest Yes.

• If Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, FromSoft/Kadokawa, Sega, CD Projekt, Remedy don't want to be acquired, make joint ventures or special generation long deals with them
  • If still haven't signed them as 2nd party, ask the Sifu, Kena, Stray, Rollerdrome guys make a 2nd party game and if it works acquire them. Acquire Arrowhead, Deviation, Ballistic Moon if their current games end being good enough and successful enough in sales
  • Acquire Annapurna, Devolver, Dotemu and Raw Fury and put them under PlayStation Indies label to secure a great yearly output of small gems for PS6, PC and mobile PSN digital stores and PS+. Let them use Sony IPs when there's fit
  • Continue partnerships announced in recent years with basically most top Japanese, Chinese and Korean mobile gaming studios to let them adapt SIE IPs to mobile & PC GaaS, titles that would also have a PS6 version (think Genshin Impact, PUBG or Fortnite)
Especially agree with this. If Sony cant buy these publishers at least buy huge shares and joint ventures. Embarrassing if they cant. They are meant to be a tech giant in Japan and worldwide, they need to do some big moves as the future is coming and its gonna challenge everyone

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Especially agree with this. If Sony cant buy these publishers at least buy huge shares and joint ventures. Embarrassing if they cant. They are meant to be a tech giant in Japan and worldwide, they need to do some big moves as the future is coming and its gonna challenge everyone
You also have to consider that when acquiring you aren't only paying the acquisition costs. It means that in the future you'll also pay their salaries and the rest of the costs of their projects plus have to integrate them everywhere and that also needs time and money. They may be now integrating the many companies they bought in the last 4 years and maybe needed some time to complete their integration before they continued acquiring.

And well, you have to analyze if it's going to be worth to make each acquisition, how it fits in the long term plans of the company, if it's the right time for the acquisition considering things like company valuations or currency exchanges or the mood of market regulators, convince whatever has to greenlight it or be affected by the acquisition, and in the other side, the company who is going to be bought has to also has to analyze if they want to sell or not, and particularly to that potential acquirer or another one (there may be multiple ones interested the ), and in the case they want to sell to decide if it's the right time for them to sell and the potential benefits and synergies of being acquired by them.

In case everything fits, then they have to make an acquisition plan and roadmap together to detail how they would integrate the company, when and how the acquisition would change both (things like potential firings due to redundancies, people needed to support them, meetings and training material and staff for the integration etc).

Sony probably could buy many of them, but probably they or the others need time, or the other ones don't want to be acquired or not now. And well, may also consider that the are covered by them is already well covered and don't need them as 3rd party and they have to make acquisitions instead in other strategic areas that will be very important for them in the long term and don't have properly covered. As it's the case right now with mobile gaming. I think that as MS did with ABK, mobile game will have important role in Sony's upcoming big acquisitions.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
More RAM allow more dense and detailed images/worlds/objects in engines that do stuff like Lumen or Nanite, and wouldn't need to stream from SSD that frequently so could save resources to do something else. If they are also use AI to improve some stuff such as DLSS (including frame generation) equivalent, or for several AI things Sony patented (such as offering different types of help to the player depending on his behavior and the one from similar players) extra RAM is required for that. It also would help with other things like multitasking.

I think it's more likely that we'll get 32GB, but if by 2027 they can get 64GB for a decent pricing I'd go for it.

Actually, I feel things like a more advanced DLSS-like equivalent or AI-specific ASICs would rely more on having a better CPU setup if anything. There'd have to be overhead on the CPU core-wise to allow the OS to automate certain contextualized tasks, and the CPU would need the speed & resources (in cache, for example) to let developers address these additional components speedily without bogging down processing for other areas of game logic.

So yeah, 64 GB would be a dream, but I don't know if RAM prices are decreasing at big enough intervals fast enough, to make it realistic for a 10th-gen console that has to retain a certain BOM. Tho in my case, I'm also thinking of a PS6 with a cheap VR (with light AR features) headset included by default, and a revamped controller, both of which would take up some portion of the BOM. However, assuming if Sony wouldn't need too much a giant GPU leap to things like shaders or even certain fixed function hardware like ROPs in order to get things done, maybe they can have money to spare to additional RAM beyond 32 GB.

My idea is that PSN would be their PS6+PC+Mobile crossbuy store. You buy the game once and have it in all platforms to be played there natively (if released there) or via cloud gaming. With cross-save if you have PS+ via cloud saves .

PS6 would continue having exclusives + BC (which woudln't be available in PC/mobile), and the -mainly non GaaS- PC ports would continue to be released later than in PS, 2+ years than its original release. So a small portion of the PC and mobile players would want to migrate to PS to play all the games natively.

The sales of PS6 1P and 3P games (main SIE business) would increase because even people without the PS6 hardware would buy PS6 games and PS+ subscription.

Well, maybe that can work. But, I think they could do it by tying cross-buy to having a PS+ subscription. Also it might be a feature that's reserved for those who buy higher-priced versions of various games. The real reason I think Sony would still need to tie cross-buy to some type of incentive in terms of a subscription, or make it so it acts more like a discount towards buying versions of the game on other platforms (especially those Sony don't own, like Steam), is because 3P will demand it.

See, Sony doing cross-buy for their games between console, PC, and mobile will probably pressure 3P publishers to do it as well, but a lot of 3P, like Take-Two, benefit with double-dips who buy first on console and later on PC, such as what they're going to do with GTA6. Sony moving a different direction on that could upset certain 3P partners, big 3P partners at that, and it'd have to be a move they all agree unto doing. The financial incentive at the end of the day, has to work for them, and these are companies with much different cash flows and level of resources compared to something like Microsoft, who can do this type of full-platform cross-buy without batting an eye (for reasons mentioned earlier about gaming revenue meaning very little to them, and gaming not being one of their financial main pillars; i.e the gaming revenue is completely expendable for them).

It's the kind of thing Sony has to really consider 3P about on, since they're the market leader. An inherent responsibility. So I think for them, cross-buy would be a mix of of the following:

-1P titles (PS Store across PS/PC/mobile): Some games have cloud versions on devices where native version may not be available, but not all games. People who buy the initial copy on PS Store (any device) get a discount in getting native version of that game on any other supported system, plus a better discount & potentially free native version of some games with a PS+ subscription (in some cases may require buying Collector's Edition of the game initially).

-1P titles (3P storefronts i.e Steam, EGS, GOG): Same as above, but the perks that come with a PS+ subscription aren't available. The initial version has to be purchased from PS Store in order to get a discount on the other platform. Also, because of nature of these storefronts, cloud versions may not be available

-3P titles (PS Store across PS/PC/mobile): Same as with the 1P titles on PS Store.

No remote play needed: if a mobile player who doesn't own the console would be able to pay PS+ Premium, buy a PS6 to play it via streaming like in Stadia. If later he gets a PS6 would be able to play it natively. Same goes with PC, could be played natively in PC if the game was released on PC.

I mean, it can work in theory, but it'd require a few other stipulations. I mentioned those above.

In this case if the mobile person bought a copy of the game as a cloud license while having a PS+ subscription (mainly because the game has no native mobile version), they can get the PS6 native version at a cheaper price. Say the PS6 version's normally $60 and the mobile person paid $20; now they'd pay $40 for the PS6 version. If they wait to buy the PS6 native version over time after it's dropped in price, they can buy it for just 66% of the advertised price up until it reaches a price equal the mobile license cost price of $20, at which point the 33% discount from the mobile cloud purchase no longer applies.

So say it drops down to $25; the mobile person can buy the native PS version for $16.50. But once the PS version drops to $20 in the store, the 33% discount ends (any other discounts from say PS Reward points, or random sales, can still apply though). If the game becomes available natively on mobile, that 33% discount the mobile player got buying the cloud version beforehand can still apply to the mobile version, until it, too, reaches $20 as a regular price (keeps that price for 1 month or longer consecutively) or less, at which point the discount is voided.

They'd probably make it so that the discount can only be applied to one other version, so the person has to choose which 2nd platform version they buy the native version on. However, if they waited to buy the game natively on mobile first, they could still apply the discount to another native version on another platform where the game's available via PS Store. The limit of versions would be two but it can apply to any mix of cloud/native, native/native, or even cloud/cloud (in that one's case, for an upgraded version of the game adding a bunch of content and/or QoL features, like some GOTY Edition).

Also you can probably figure out that, for games available for purchase via cloud only on one platform in PS Store but have a native version elsewhere, the cloud license would be limited to a cost probably no higher than $30 (often less than that), and while the user can drop their PS+ sub after buying the cloud version (this would assume cloud versions of games can be played without a PS+ subscription), they can only redeem the discount if they sign back up for PS+. Actually I think this in itself could have two distinctions: cloud versions purchased as an extended license to a native copy (whether the user has a platform to play the game on natively or not) could price between $10 - $30 and that could act as a applicable discount to the native version of the game (or an upgraded cloud version of the game) up to the point where said native version (or upgraded cloud version) reaches a price equal to the discount itself, and does so consecutively for at least one month. However, these versions may require a PS+ subscription to play them.

OTOH an alternative version could be bought that treats the cloud version as its own game, so you pay more or less the same price as the native version, but get all the update privileges the native version would get from that dev. You also don't need a PS+ subscription to play these versions but, as a trade-off, you don't get any applicable discount for another version. So if you want the native version, you have to pay whatever price it is at the time you're buying (so you'd be relying on it being on sale, unless you use PS Reward points).

I'm sure some aspects of that could be improved in finer details, but it's just an idea I had when seeing your idea mentioned here. For example say the mobile gamer buys the cloud version as an extended license to a native version that's already gone down in price. Well, the cost of the cloud extended license would scale down with that of the native version's, so if the cloud version on an extended license was normally $20 to the native version's $60, then the native version being $40 at the time of the extended license cloud version's purchase puts said version's price at $13.34. And those prices would always stay to scale and in sync. The native version's price is dropped to 66% of the original MSRP at the time of the mobile person buying the extended license cloud version (NOT the normal cloud version that can be used without a PS+ subscription), then the extended license cloud version's price would have been reduced 33% from its normal $20 (as an example) at the time of the purchase.

The thing is that launch games don't sell a shit due to low userbase available in the first year. So the launch games better be crossgen or cheap. So if Horizon 3 or Spider-Man 3 are released in launch window/launch day, they should be crossgen to don't cause a financial disaster.

On top of this, both games are now under development but they don't have next gen specs, devkits or engines, so they are being made as PS5 games and even if releasing them as PS6 only games they'd look the same. The only difference between making them crossgen or not would be basically to leave money in the table.

Maybe, but also consider this: games like Miles Morales, Rift Apart and HFW continued to see boosts in sales as more PS5 stock became available. In a way, they are evergreen titles. Same with games like GT7. So as long as Sony doesn't sink down the value of their own games with too quick price drops or too quick inclusions in PS+ (something they've said negatively affected the legs for HFW), a launch game like Spiderman 3 or Horizon 3 would both do very well to push systems at launch, and continue to sell over time as more PS5s are sold.

Basically they'd recoup their costs and just make profit and profit once a few months have transpired, and that's with them being PS6 exclusives. Spiderman 3 would have the safest chance of making that happen but Horizon 3 wouldn't be a bad bet, either. The truth is, even with cross-gen as a likelihood for these games, we've seen from games like HFW, GT7, GOW Ragnarok and Miles Morales that players will literally wait for the newer system's availability before buying the game, even when they have the older system.

So Sony would be risking a lot less than maybe initially appears.

I don't know about crossplay shooters, but in the Street Fighter games you have an option to enable or disable crossplay.

All games should have the feature TBH if they are multiplat across console & PC and, potentially, mobile. Give the players the choice.

As I mentioned the PC and mobile players would be from Sony's storefront: their PSN store. No 30%/12% paid to anyone. PSN would be the only PC/Android store where they'd release their PS6 games (the ones released for PC/Android).

After a few years building userbase with PS5 games that would also be released on Steam, Epic and Google Play. The games you got in Steam, Epic or Google Play would be automatically added to your PSN library.

The complication here is that Sony's own PS Store on non-PS devices only works if they also get 3P games on it, and if they let users buy their games on Steam/EGS/Google Play etc. and can then add them to their PSN account through the PS Store, they would have to allow that for 3P games too and, guess what? Suddenly you'd have a lot less people on those other platforms buying games off the PS Store.

It'd be a self-defeating thing to do, hence why I provided some stipulations earlier. Sony can't really offer features in terms of cross-storefront purchases for their own games, that they aren't willing to let 3P do, and what you're suggesting here would also give 3P less incentive to make versions of their game available for the PS storefront on these non-PlayStation devices.

Again, a lot of it is nice in concept but it wouldn't work in practice without some competitively-minded stipulations. It is what it is.

Anyway there were some other things mentioned I wanted to respond to, but I'll have to do those another day. But some solid ideas you and others have been putting up; I just like to see how in which ways they could be implemented if fleshed out even further.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Actually, I feel things like a more advanced DLSS-like equivalent or AI-specific ASICs would rely more on having a better CPU setup if anything. There'd have to be overhead on the CPU core-wise to allow the OS to automate certain contextualized tasks, and the CPU would need the speed & resources (in cache, for example) to let developers address these additional components speedily without bogging down processing for other areas of game logic.

So yeah, 64 GB would be a dream, but I don't know if RAM prices are decreasing at big enough intervals fast enough, to make it realistic for a 10th-gen console that has to retain a certain BOM. Tho in my case, I'm also thinking of a PS6 with a cheap VR (with light AR features) headset included by default, and a revamped controller, both of which would take up some portion of the BOM. However, assuming if Sony wouldn't need too much a giant GPU leap to things like shaders or even certain fixed function hardware like ROPs in order to get things done, maybe they can have money to spare to additional RAM beyond 32 GB.
AI stuff uses GPU horsepower more than CPU. But knowing Sony/Cerny, I'm pretty sure they'll make a dedicated custom chip or new part of the APU to do specifically for AI tasks as could be DLSS-like stuff including frame generation in a different way of how AMD and Nvidia handle it in PC. First to do it more efficiently and second to free GPU and CPU resoures to use them for other things. Similarly to how they handle the 3D audio or the decompression of the video streaming or SSD data.

I think that 64GB of RAM is difficult, but to include the VR headset with the console I think is impossible. Because they have to keep the console in around $500 bucks and to include a high end VR headset means another $400-500 at least.

Well, maybe that can work. But, I think they could do it by tying cross-buy to having a PS+ subscription. Also it might be a feature that's reserved for those who buy higher-priced versions of various games. The real reason I think Sony would still need to tie cross-buy to some type of incentive in terms of a subscription, or make it so it acts more like a discount towards buying versions of the game on other platforms (especially those Sony don't own, like Steam), is because 3P will demand it.

See, Sony doing cross-buy for their games between console, PC, and mobile will probably pressure 3P publishers to do it as well, but a lot of 3P, like Take-Two, benefit with double-dips who buy first on console and later on PC, such as what they're going to do with GTA6. Sony moving a different direction on that could upset certain 3P partners, big 3P partners at that, and it'd have to be a move they all agree unto doing. The financial incentive at the end of the day, has to work for them, and these are companies with much different cash flows and level of resources compared to something like Microsoft, who can do this type of full-platform cross-buy without batting an eye (for reasons mentioned earlier about gaming revenue meaning very little to them, and gaming not being one of their financial main pillars; i.e the gaming revenue is completely expendable for them).

It's the kind of thing Sony has to really consider 3P about on, since they're the market leader. An inherent responsibility. So I think for them, cross-buy would be a mix of of the following:

-1P titles (PS Store across PS/PC/mobile): Some games have cloud versions on devices where native version may not be available, but not all games. People who buy the initial copy on PS Store (any device) get a discount in getting native version of that game on any other supported system, plus a better discount & potentially free native version of some games with a PS+ subscription (in some cases may require buying Collector's Edition of the game initially).

-1P titles (3P storefronts i.e Steam, EGS, GOG): Same as above, but the perks that come with a PS+ subscription aren't available. The initial version has to be purchased from PS Store in order to get a discount on the other platform. Also, because of nature of these storefronts, cloud versions may not be available

-3P titles (PS Store across PS/PC/mobile): Same as with the 1P titles on PS Store.
In my idea you'd need to have PS+ Premium to play your PS6 games everywhere via cloud gaming unless the publisher decides to don't include it on Sony's cloud gaming and don't receive money from it (as could be the case of those with their own streaming service). But crossbuy -to play locally the games released on multiple platforms wouldn't require sub.

If someone like EA, MS, Ubisoft or Take 2 don't want to implement crossbuy they'd simply only would release the game on Sony's PS store but not in the Sony PC store, something that in any case won't do it because they'll prefere to sell the PC game on their own store.

I mean, it can work in theory, but it'd require a few other stipulations. I mentioned those above.

In this case if the mobile person bought a copy of the game as a cloud license while having a PS+ subscription (mainly because the game has no native mobile version), they can get the PS6 native version at a cheaper price. Say the PS6 version's normally $60 and the mobile person paid $20; now they'd pay $40 for the PS6 version. If they wait to buy the PS6 native version over time after it's dropped in price, they can buy it for just 66% of the advertised price up until it reaches a price equal the mobile license cost price of $20, at which point the 33% discount from the mobile cloud purchase no longer applies.

So say it drops down to $25; the mobile person can buy the native PS version for $16.50. But once the PS version drops to $20 in the store, the 33% discount ends (any other discounts from say PS Reward points, or random sales, can still apply though). If the game becomes available natively on mobile, that 33% discount the mobile player got buying the cloud version beforehand can still apply to the mobile version, until it, too, reaches $20 as a regular price (keeps that price for 1 month or longer consecutively) or less, at which point the discount is voided.

They'd probably make it so that the discount can only be applied to one other version, so the person has to choose which 2nd platform version they buy the native version on. However, if they waited to buy the game natively on mobile first, they could still apply the discount to another native version on another platform where the game's available via PS Store. The limit of versions would be two but it can apply to any mix of cloud/native, native/native, or even cloud/cloud (in that one's case, for an upgraded version of the game adding a bunch of content and/or QoL features, like some GOTY Edition).

Also you can probably figure out that, for games available for purchase via cloud only on one platform in PS Store but have a native version elsewhere, the cloud license would be limited to a cost probably no higher than $30 (often less than that), and while the user can drop their PS+ sub after buying the cloud version (this would assume cloud versions of games can be played without a PS+ subscription), they can only redeem the discount if they sign back up for PS+. Actually I think this in itself could have two distinctions: cloud versions purchased as an extended license to a native copy (whether the user has a platform to play the game on natively or not) could price between $10 - $30 and that could act as a applicable discount to the native version of the game (or an upgraded cloud version of the game) up to the point where said native version (or upgraded cloud version) reaches a price equal to the discount itself, and does so consecutively for at least one month. However, these versions may require a PS+ subscription to play them.

OTOH an alternative version could be bought that treats the cloud version as its own game, so you pay more or less the same price as the native version, but get all the update privileges the native version would get from that dev. You also don't need a PS+ subscription to play these versions but, as a trade-off, you don't get any applicable discount for another version. So if you want the native version, you have to pay whatever price it is at the time you're buying (so you'd be relying on it being on sale, unless you use PS Reward points).

I'm sure some aspects of that could be improved in finer details, but it's just an idea I had when seeing your idea mentioned here. For example say the mobile gamer buys the cloud version as an extended license to a native version that's already gone down in price. Well, the cost of the cloud extended license would scale down with that of the native version's, so if the cloud version on an extended license was normally $20 to the native version's $60, then the native version being $40 at the time of the extended license cloud version's purchase puts said version's price at $13.34. And those prices would always stay to scale and in sync. The native version's price is dropped to 66% of the original MSRP at the time of the mobile person buying the extended license cloud version (NOT the normal cloud version that can be used without a PS+ subscription), then the extended license cloud version's price would have been reduced 33% from its normal $20 (as an example) at the time of the purchase.
My idea was the one they have already working in PS5: some PS5 games you bought can also be streamed even if they aren't in the games or classic catalogs of PS+. So there wouldn't be a "could gaming copy/license" to be bought. People would simply buy a normal PS5/PS6 digital copy in the store normally.

The only extra price to play it via cloud gaming (in PS/PC/soon mobile) is the required PS+ Premium game sub.

The complication here is that Sony's own PS Store on non-PS devices only works if they also get 3P games on it, and if they let users buy their games on Steam/EGS/Google Play etc. and can then add them to their PSN account through the PS Store, they would have to allow that for 3P games too and, guess what? Suddenly you'd have a lot less people on those other platforms buying games off the PS Store.
Sony can implement that "import your PC/mobile copy from Steam/Google Play to PSN" with only 1P games.

The crossbuy between the PS PSN store, PC PSN store, Mobile PSN store would only for the publishers who decide to release their games on multiple of them. The crossbuy wouldn't be with Steam or Google Play obviously, it would only be between Sony stores, as has been between the stores of multiple PS consoles.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
AI stuff uses GPU horsepower more than CPU. But knowing Sony/Cerny, I'm pretty sure they'll make a dedicated custom chip or new part of the APU to do specifically for AI tasks as could be DLSS-like stuff including frame generation in a different way of how AMD and Nvidia handle it in PC. First to do it more efficiently and second to free GPU and CPU resoures to use them for other things. Similarly to how they handle the 3D audio or the decompression of the video streaming or SSD data.

I mean, this is a true point. But what I'm getting at is, RAM isn't an insignificant part of that equation. The data has to be stored somewhere, either in RAM or on the SSD with metadata in the RAM & caches.

I think that 64GB of RAM is difficult, but to include the VR headset with the console I think is impossible. Because they have to keep the console in around $500 bucks and to include a high end VR headset means another $400-500 at least.

That's the thing, though: I don't think the price of the high-end SKU is going to remain $499 next gen. I think they'll be willing to go $599 and as long as the demand is there, people will be willing to buy that SKU. They can do a $599 SKU with the system & cheap VR headset offering 1080p 90 FPS, good FOV and only the most essential tech built in the headset (let the system stream processed frames and audio with improved PS.Link, Remote Play & wifi features), and a $499 SKU that comes with a smaller SSD (but otherwise still the same speed as the $599 model).

Look at it this way: in a market where diminishing returns continue to escalate and consoles will never outperform the highest-end PC of that time anyway, what makes for a more immediate differentiation factor: more RAM, or a solid/affordable VR (& light AR) headset bundled in default? That would also open up other avenues like further innovations with the controller, that could be useful both in VR and non-VR environments. These are the kind of things consoles will have to consider and I feel if 64 GB of RAM doesn't get you that much more in performance uplift (and even if it does, will it create an environment where devs meaningfully make use of that much space for creative possibilities and not just dumping unoptimized code & assets into fast RAM?), what's the point?

In my idea you'd need to have PS+ Premium to play your PS6 games everywhere via cloud gaming unless the publisher decides to don't include it on Sony's cloud gaming and don't receive money from it (as could be the case of those with their own streaming service). But crossbuy -to play locally the games released on multiple platforms wouldn't require sub.

If someone like EA, MS, Ubisoft or Take 2 don't want to implement crossbuy they'd simply only would release the game on Sony's PS store but not in the Sony PC store, something that in any case won't do it because they'll prefere to sell the PC game on their own store.

I see what you're saying, but the thing is for a multi-platform PS Store to work while ALSO still centering the majority of traffic onto the store itself (and preferably on the console), Sony needs those big 3P publishers to buy in. If it's only Sony doing cross-buy, it doesn't work, because the prospect of cross-buy will lead some of the core enthusiasts "whales" to buy the game on say PC, and not buy a PS6 to play that game. But in doing so, Sony misses out on a lot of potential revenue, if that PS Store on PC isn't monetized in a way that can effectively "replicate" or simulate the revenue stream of buying a console AND buying most of one's 3P games & content on the console, would normally bring.

Again, can't underestimate that factor. Those core enthusiasts "whales" may not make up more than 5% of the total install base, for example, but they easily account for more than 5% of total revenue in the ecosystem. If you're Sony, you don't want to create a means for them to shift most of their spending outside of that ecosystem aside buying your own games on PC or mobile, because even if they do so on the PS Store and you get the full revenue cut, if there's no incentives WRT 3P software purchases in the store for things like cross-buy that customer is just going to take their 3P purchases elsewhere.

So, Sony have to find means of it also being adopted by 3P pubs, preferably without resorting to having competing storefronts on the console (which would probably necessitate a revenue-sharing model, which would be likely standardized with the storefronts off of console as well). That would be a sort of last resort option.

My idea was the one they have already working in PS5: some PS5 games you bought can also be streamed even if they aren't in the games or classic catalogs of PS+. So there wouldn't be a "could gaming copy/license" to be bought. People would simply buy a normal PS5/PS6 digital copy in the store normally.

The only extra price to play it via cloud gaming (in PS/PC/soon mobile) is the required PS+ Premium game sub.

Yeah but IIRC, the cloud copy license of such PS5 games is effectively just part of the normal price for the game, as the ability to stream them the way you describe (for example, on PS Portal) is a system-level feature using Remote Play, where the home PS5 is acting as the server for that game content. So it's not necessarily cloud streaming in the same way I was trying to describe it earlier.

The way I was attempting to describe it is, one of those cloud licenses would require you be a PS+ member (not only Premium; Extra or Essential would be okay too) to play it, but you buy the cloud license for a fraction of what the native version normally goes for. If you then buy the native version, you can get a percentage discount (excusing things like promo sales or PS Reward points) reflective of the price for that cloud license weighed to the original cost of the game proper when you bought the cloud license, and apply that particular discount up until the native digital version sustains a new price of lower than the price you bought that cloud license for, for a period of four consecutive weeks.

So if you bought, let's call it, Cloud License 1, for a game costing $60 digitally, at $20, you now have a 33.3% discount towards buying the digital native version of that game OR an upgraded cloud version (License 1 or License 2 (the one where you buy the cloud version as a full-priced game; MOTL), up until either version reaches below a normalized price of $20 for a duration of 4 or more weeks. And you can still stack sales promos and PS Reward points on top of that, if you'd like. However, you can only play this Cloud License 1 version if you have an active PS+ (any tier) subscription.

Meanwhile, Cloud License 2 is where you basically buy a cloud equivalent version of a native game for the same price as that native game (so if the native digital version is $60, you pay $60 for the Cloud License 2 version). However, for this one you do not need an active PS+ subscription to play it. This would probably be preferable for those who want to play those games anytime without a PS+ sub active, but don't have the platform those games are natively available on. However maybe as an incentive they can still get a small discount on buying that game (say a 5% discount) natively later on in the store or a 10% discount if they do the same after getting an active sub (any tier) again, plus some PS Reward points.

Those could be options on top of the cloud license option you're already describing which, at least AFAIK, is essentially a "free" feature you get when buying a digital or physical copy of a PS5 game and want to stream it using Remote Play to a device like PS Portal.

Sony can implement that "import your PC/mobile copy from Steam/Google Play to PSN" with only 1P games.

The crossbuy between the PS PSN store, PC PSN store, Mobile PSN store would only for the publishers who decide to release their games on multiple of them. The crossbuy wouldn't be with Steam or Google Play obviously, it would only be between Sony stores, as has been between the stores of multiple PS consoles.

So you're saying with 3P who release versions of their games on multiple platforms through the PS Store available on those platforms? Okay, that would make more sense. But, even so, there would be pressure on Sony to allow the cross-buy multi-store feature for 3P if they already would allow it for their own 1P games on much larger storefronts like Steam and Google Play for non-PS versions of games on those systems.

Essentially, it still creates a problem in hierarchy where 3P would feel they aren't being given the same preference despite the fact they're the ones providing gaming content for PlayStation, not Valve or Google. So in turn very few would probably support PS Store on non-PlayStation console devices if they could only do cross-buy one way but Sony make an exception for their own games with many of the larger (compared to stuff like Origin) storefronts.

That's a reason I feel Sony would choose to limit the cross-buy stuff to their storefront on all supported platforms, for their games and 3P games. Ultimately, they have to drive interest and reason for people to buy off their storefront and you just make that needlessly harder on yourself when you take what could be an easy advantage in-ecosystem, but let out-of-ecosystem competitors get backdoor benefits.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The most important thing for consoles in general - but PS6 in this case (and the Switch 2 by extension):

1. Liberalization and reinvention of the console dev kit.

2. Strong exclusive software differentiation vis a vis PC.

3. Initiatives to claw back market share for, for-profit video game-streaming/podcasting. Also community building tools within PS5 OS and on PlayStation's website. Influencers (content creators/streamers) are a walking, talking marketing megaphone. Gamers are as well to a lesser extent.

4. Asia, Asia, Asia.....and Russia.

Elaboration:

Problem #1: Indie developer, small and medium sized developer inclination and favoritism towards developing on PC, specially those who originate outside mature Western markets. Main source of the problem: The inaccessibility of the console dev kit - a fossil of a bygone era.

Problem #2: To have or not to have exclusives.

It's a software business. Software is king. "Games do the talking". Supporting PC with PlayStation software exclusives only compounds #1.

Not only is PC getting gratuitous software exclusives of many great titles due to how easy it's to acquire PC hardware and develop for it BUT if console platform holders erode their software differentiation on top of it, it's a double loser that will sooner or later be reflected in hardware adoption, whether the idiots at the top are able to correlate the numbers or not. Hardware adoption stagnation is but a simple early warning sign ("but but hard to correlate"). Last but not least, the last thing a console platform holder should be incentivizing with their policy decisions is a snowballing effect where PCs become the hip and cool device for premium gaming for a new generation, and make no mistake, the current policy is doing just that. Nintendo can hold the fort for the younglings for so long. To quote Valve "the more (PC handhelds) the merrier".

Problem #3: Failure to successfully co-op and keep up with some market trends. Mostly talking about for-profit video game streaming and community building. The market has changed. Social media, influencers/streamers/podcasters are KING, not the traditional journalism/press sites. Video game streaming and podcasting are, god knows, 95% least done on Windows PCs? That's a walking, talking marketing megaphone that says: "You don't need to buy a console to play premium games - buy a PC instead and play the games there.... and here look you can even have rainbow lights on it". What do these kids that are watching taking away from seeing their favorite content creators/streamers (aka influencers) play on PC? What sort of decisions are they more likely to make? Are these fossils at SIE seriously aware? Or consumed with their little numbers?

Community building is self-explanatory... see Steam for tools for user reviews, player stats, global game stats, sales stats etc.

Problem #4: Poor footprint, and in some places more or less practically non-existent footprint in emerging Asian markets (except Japan). Self-banning from Russia? 🤦‍♂️. Console platform holders gotta find a way to penetrate those markets and have successful, local and finely tuned operations in emerging Asian markets.... including Russia. A market like Russia, semi-western oriented more so - self bans are utterly moronic when the competition is not doing the same. No such thing as unilateral disarmament in an arms race. Steam serves what? 10 million or so consumers on Russia?

Ways to go about these problems:

#1:

Sony improved the certification process with the PS4/PS5 massively and is, currently, at an almost ideal state. However the "console dev kit" problem is still holding back PlayStation console development vis a vis PC.

Solution is "simple": Liberalize the rigid console dev kit concept.

How:

1. All retail PS6 consoles should be able to become dev kits (even if with limited power functionality when in dev mode to ensure a proper game development environment). Any PlayStation 6 owner should be able to have the ability to convert his or her retail PS6 to a dev kit by going to Sony's PlayStation website and downloading software functionality that will allow them to convert retail units to that.

For example in the case of PC, an indie dev doesn't need a PC with a 4090 ti, and a 12-core CPU to develop a game. The indie/medium sized dev can develop a non-demanding in performance game on a PC with a 1070 GPU, and 6 core CPU. If the devs want to upgrade to big boy status for performance gain, like on PC, by say, buying a 4090, then that's where the proper console dev kit of old comes in. To ease accessibility to the "proper" dev kit see #2:

2. Make "proper" PS6 dev kits, that is, the hardware with the extra bells and whistles of old (present day dev kits) available for sale direct via PlayStation direct to anyone with a wallet - kill the roadblocks full-stop. Just like you can buy a PS5 via PlayStation Direct so should you be able to buy a proper PS6 dev kit. In short, drop the requirement of signing up to the PlayStation Partners program as currently instituted. That or amend the Partners program with tiers where there is a basic tier that gets you in with just personal info and none of the required documentation. The basic tier should be as basic as a normal checkout process as humanly possible.

3. The PlayStation Partners program can continue to exist providing existing perks and benefits like early access/lending/support etc for developers big or small that are willing to go through the process of becoming an official partner. That process can be left mostly untouched. Call it the "pro" tier.

Obviously there would need to exist a cert process for those outside the Partners program or in a hypothetical basic tier for the PS Partners program.

Again, the goal is not to win over the big publishers and big devs that can easily become part of the PlayStation Partners program and are already part. Those are already won over. The goal is to get the next guy in Bangladesh that may develop something like Pizza Tower/Palworld. Get them day one on PS6/Console without Sony knowing they exist at all. The cert process is not what is holding those unknowns back, which in many ways cert is better than Steam's process. It's the accessibility to the dev kit, the hardware, that is the main and current bottleneck.

#2:

Software is King. Let no one be fooled by MS's machinations. There is a pincer attack aimed straight at Sony's PlayStation hardware coming from two different directions looking for that boiler squeeze. On the one hand you have the "investor"/"media pressure" for "PlayStation publishing" to expand to PC to "increase shareholder value and alleviate development cost" - without seriously taking into account that PC is a direct competitor to consoles in both hardware adoption and software terms. This push revolves around Sony relaxing exclusive software differentiation vis a vis PC - in other words, literally refuse to use a pistol in a pistol fight while the opponent does neither. PlayStation software exclusives are one the main differentiators, weapons if you will that PlayStation hardware has over any hardware (PC, console or otherwise). That's one pincer jaw.

The other pincer jaw is the exponential growth of the indie to medium sized developers and that group of devs defaulting on PC development as their preferred platform and thus gratuitously serving software exclusivity to the PC platform (first or best). This is highly pronounced in emerging markets and those of Asia in particular (Japan being the sole exception).

Thus in effect your main competitor going forward (aka PC) has a naturally growing base of exclusive titles thanks to the current trends and market structure while Sony voluntarily degrades what little it has left of strong software exclusive differentiation.

Biggest winners long term: PC platform and ecosystem stakeholders in this order: Microsoft, Steam, Nvidia, Intel........Meta, Amazon, Epic etc. Definitely not Sony or PlayStation - if you think that extra revenue is gonna make a difference in that fight you better check your IQ quick. It's not the short term money that they're after, the money comes eventually - they're after critical mass support by developers. That in turn leads to a critical mass in consumer mind-share and predisposition to hardware adoption. The money naturally flows from that. It's literally and in some ways mirrors the Windows roadmap of old when on the quest to monopoly status.

The proper way to deal with ballooning dev costs is "simple", however hard it's execute: cost cutting, better management, better scope management. It's just the way it's. Going elsewhere is not the answer when you're a platform holder. The idea that you can fight in a firearm duel with just fists alone aka hardware pricing and accessibility - and mostly in mature western markets - is mortally idiotic. You're going to get shot in the head, leg or chest while trying to throw a punch.

#3:

Market trends associated with gaming are outpacing console OS limited functionalities. Perfect example is for-profit streaming/influencers. Bottomline, Initiatives must be taken, as complex as they will be to co-op for-profit streaming with the PS6 hardware. Things like getting OBS to work on PlayStation etc. A "creators hub" for the content business along with a community hub akin Steam for users (gamers) - all within the PS6 retail hardware. Keyboard and mouse support etc. In other words, strengthening ecosystem pull and let the "gamers" and "influencers" do the talking (free marketing).

#4:

Not much needs to be said for Asia, Asia, Asia....+ Russia. Self explanatory. Everybody knows the roadblocks. Gotta find a way. I def don't have the answer but neither am I paid to find them.

The market is evolving. You're either in the mix, fighting for every inch, and in or long term positioning yourself to be on the out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
@KnittedKnight Nice to see some elaborate stuff here and activity back in the thread. I'll have to give it more of a read later tonight and tomorrow, and post a response in kind.

I've been having some ideas for means of Sony streamlining aspects of production costs for hardware and software, and (smart) multiplatform expansion on PC & mobile that doesn't cannibalize much or any selling power/value of the console itself.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It's basically a quick shoot to current ills, trends and threats rather than about tech. Everything else imo is inconsequential if you fail to get those things right long term.

Last edited: