Playstation adds passkey protection. |UP| Official Playstation video.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Hell yeah! One step closer to getting rid of passwords forever!

Here’s a list of sites and services that currently support passkeys if anyone is interested:

Updated 2/26/24..

Last edited by a moderator:

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
I like the idea behind it, as in not having to manage 50+ passwords, but what method are they going to be using?

OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I like the idea behind it, as in not having to manage 50+ passwords, but what method are they going to be using?

I use a password manager to store my passkeys for different webpages/services, so I don't need to create multiple keys (one per device). I assume I'll have to create a passkey on both the PSN site and the PS5, but we'll see.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It sounds like something I want but I'm confused how it works. I'll check the website because I suck at passwords.

Reactions: Entropi
OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
PlayStation deactivates your password after enabling the passkey, which is the right way to do it, unlike other sites such as Amazon.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
If face scan or fingerprint become a requirement then it would makes it a lot harder/inconvenient to abuse account sharing.

Make a second passkey on the other account holder’s mobile phone using his biometrics, password manager, or a Yubikey. Passkeys change nothing but getting rid of passwords and making the login process faster and more convenient. Don’t try to spin this negatively; it is irresponsible.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Make a second passkey on the other account holder’s mobile phone using his biometrics, or his password manager or his Yubikey. Passkeys change nothing other than getting rid of passwords. Don’t try to spin this in a negative way, it is irresponsible.
How would it be negative to stop people from selling accounts to share games?

When I try to buy a PS5 games here in Brazil I get tons of results of these digital account share games being sold.

I want people paying full price for digital games, that will keep physical media around for much longer.

OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
How would it be negative to stop people from selling accounts to share games?

When I try to buy a PS5 games here in Brazil I get tons of results of these digital account share games being sold.

What do you even mean by account sharing? Illegal activities? Then why would Sony care if THAT gets affected LOL

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So is it as simple as when you enter your email to login and you get a prompt on your app?

Could someone use it to annoy you? Like someone finds your email and just keep trying to login and you keep getting prompts.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What do you even mean by account sharing? Illegal activities? Then why would Sony care if THAT gets affected LOL
What are you even talking about? I was praising them for finding a good solution for that problem. Why do you quote me if you don't even read what I write? Try to be less ignorant.

OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So is it as simple as when you enter your email to login and you get a prompt on your app?

Could someone use it to annoy you? Like someone finds your email and just keep trying to log in and you keep getting prompts.

Not really, if someone tries to log in with your email and doesn't have the corresponding passkey on their browser/device/physical keys, that’s it, they can't log in and no one will get prompted, which’ll be very insecure.

Now, if you log in from a PS5 and scan the QR code to log in from a mobile device, then yeah, you get a prompt, but that is the same process with passwords or passkeys.

Reactions: FatKaz

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Could someone use it to annoy you? Like someone finds your email and just keep trying to login and you keep getting prompts.
I have an old email from MS where this happens. Everyday someone tries to log in multiple times with the wrong password and I get emails saying if it's not me I should just ignore it, but nothing is ever done to stop them.