PlayStation co-CEO Hideaki Nishino says consoles will remain the core of their business

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I think another way for PlayStation to make a ton of money is to build churches with donation boxes with the slogan:

"For the Prayers"

Some of their diehards are already cult-like, they can as well make the most out of it.
Seriously, now.

The PS5 Pro is too expensive for me, I'm not interested at the moment. Unlike the big US multi-trillion dollar corporations out there, Sony is subject to the market and will have to stop doing stupid moves at some point.

That doesn't mean I'm ok with disingenuous PCMR arguments. And we all know which actual cult is behind those.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The demise of PS will be glorious just like Xbox & how now Xbox fans & media question how did Xbox went from the innovative & almost defacto hardcore gaming platform to now a former shell & now close to shutting Xbox console entirely down w only 5 million consoles being sold per gen if there even lucky.

Either way it will be mark in the history books. Gabe probably laughing his ass of collecting 30% by doing nothing but focusing on its platform/storefront entirely & letting other platform holder self destruct & implode is the pursuit of searching for a unknown boogie man that won’t benefit them in the long run.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Steam Deck is a PS4 level console priced similar to PS5 lol

That is not exactly “price similar to console”… it is proportionally way expensive than PS5 Pro.
The price has dropped to $300 in the US market, and $400 is already OLED.

And yes, SD is a portable PS4.5 which is not a PS5, but it now gets all the games from MS and Sony, which are completely free if you want.

The SD2 will be a direct competitor to the PS5, and will continue to receive all games from MS and Sony, and will be able to emulate the NS1 library, and possibly NS2, without any problems.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Sony is basically going to do what Microsoft has already been doing but at a slower pace. The console is the easiest and cheapest way to get into the PlayStation eco-system so that will remain their "core" but they'll still expand outward as they should. Being reliant and dependent on the same 120m (give or take) user install base which is mostly the same people you had in the previous generation isn't sustainable especially when you know Sony's budgets are insane and their licensing deals, even more insane.

Releasing their first party games on PC isn't going to hurt their console business because if you're going to PC, you'll be spending thousands of dollars up front because if you're not going for a great PC build, then what's even the point in going to PC in the first place? Better off staying with consoles. Consoles are also way more streamlined and simple. With PC, you have to deal with compatibility issues, drivers and then settings to get the game to run correctly the way you want it.

Sony will expand outward beyond the console as they should because it's the only way for them to gain growth, revenue and profit. As long as they release a console, I personally will be there day one or close to launch. Sony expanding to PC even more so than they already have changes nothing for me personally. Just give me great games. Don't care what else Sony does.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The price has dropped to $300 in the US market, and $400 is already OLED.

And yes, SD is a portable PS4.5 which is not a PS5, but it now gets all the games from MS and Sony, which are completely free if you want.

The SD2 will be a direct competitor to the PS5, and will continue to receive all games from MS and Sony, and will be able to emulate the NS1 library, and possibly NS2, without any problems.
Games perform worst on Steam Deck than PS4 in native 1080p… not sure where you get PS4.5 🤷🏻‍♂️

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Games perform worst on Steam Deck than PS4 in native 1080p… not sure where you get PS4.5 🤷🏻‍♂️
Many games run better because SD has a more powerful CPU and more RAM.

For this reason, SD can run games that were not released on PS4 at an acceptable level.

• haha
Reactions: Old Gamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

For this reason, SD can run games that were not released on PS4 at an acceptable level.
But most if not all games runs worst…

You are lying to yourself if you take the 720p/800p vs 1080p comparisons as something as evidence lol

Whatever you set your Steam Deck to 1080p to a fair comparison it fails to delivery PS4 levels.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

I have a Steam deck I very much enjoy, and can guarantee you that it cannot perform on the level of a PS4. Nor should it be expected to.

Games like Vampire Survivors should run perfectly. But those also run perfectly on the Switch or mobile.

Reactions: ethomaz

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony doing what they've been doing for the past 4 years.

People here: See, they're doomed.

Until PC ports start affecting my game quality and release schedules, go for it. Releasing games day one on PC isn't a problem because of some fanboy list wars. It's a problem of working on several platforms at the same time.

None of you have answered my question, though. If so many people are moving to PC because Sony releases games several years after the original release, how come PC hardware is down and is expected to go further down in the next few years? Where did those supposed players go? Especially since Gen Z and Alpha have zero interest in PC gaming and would rather play mobile.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Sony doing what they've been doing for the past 4 years.

People here: See, they're doomed.

Until PC ports start affecting my game quality and release schedules, go for it. Releasing games day one on PC isn't a problem because of some fanboy list wars. It's a problem of working on several platforms at the same time.

None of you have answered my question, though. If so many people are moving to PC because Sony releases games several years after the original release, how come PC hardware is down and is expected to go further down in the next few years? Where did those supposed players go? Especially since Gen Z and Alpha have zero interest in PC gaming and would rather play mobile.
I'm on your side, but is PC hardware really down? Everything on Google says the PC market is growing significantly faster than the console market.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's already happening, it's been for a while.
Need actual examples. Not one single PS game has been affected by PC, quality wise. I know you'll say Spiderman 2 but that's not on PC yet. If it was developed with PC in mind since day one, it would have released already.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024

They went to Xbox. lmao :ROFLMAO:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Need actual examples. Not one single PS game has been affected by PC, quality wise. I know you'll say Spiderman 2 but that's not on PC yet. If it was developed with PC in mind since day one, it would have released already.

Most of them are. And of course Spidey 2 was developed with PC in mind. Their engine is already changed due to the other Spider-Man games and R&C.

Helldivers 2 released day and date and is still full of bugs after being barely playable st launch. And what do they say? "We hear your Steam reviews".

I would like to give you more recent examples but for that PlayStation would have had to have released something.

Can't talk about Astro Bot yet, thanks to PlayStation I've changed my buying habits and am waiting for a good deal first.

Why do you think PS is focusing on GaaS?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have a Steam deck I very much enjoy, and can guarantee you that it cannot perform on the level of a PS4. Nor should it be expected to.

Games like Vampire Survivors should run perfectly. But those also run perfectly on the Switch or mobile.
Not just that…

People compares 720p-800p on Steam Deck with 1080p on PS4 as evidence SD is outperforming PS4… whatever you make things fair (set SD to 1080p) it fall way below PS4 in performance.

And the memory comparison he said… well memory is one of the bottleneck in SD because it is very slow like half of PS4’s memory speeds… it is closer to Xbox One memory speeds.

Last edited: