PlayStation generates the most revenue for Sony, but still they refuse to heavly invest in it

voke

Banned
10 Jan 2023
Their internal studios haven't been doing that in a while and it doesn't look like they'll be releasing big new games anytime soon.
Returnal, Horizon, Tlou2, Gt7, SM2, GoT. What other publisher has released this many AAA games at this quality? The near future we should bring seeing Asobi, Bend, Sucker Punch, Firewalk, ND. That’s just internal studios… when you look at publishing, I don’t think theirs a single publisher that rivals Sony at all, they’ve already got 3 AAA titles out this year alone

You guys will be dooming forever if you guys think that they very few AAA studios they have are gonna release evert 2-3 years. The issue isn’t Sony, but your unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I’m just confused on why they should end up like Xbox. They do the one thing MS could never do right, make new games.
Xbox has released more first party games last 18 months than Playstation. I can actually help you, Sony released a grand total of 2 games in the last 18 months, plus one paid DLC (and a bunch of PC ports)

voke

Banned
10 Jan 2023
Xbox has released more first party games last 18 months than Playstation. I can actually help you, Sony released a grand total of 2 games in the last 18 months, plus one paid DLC (and a bunch of PC ports)
do you want Sony to start shitting out games to have the highest number of them or do you want them to take their time with development so we can enjoy quality? Or maybe they acquire a company, and stamp their name on the content just like their rivals

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is what I've been talking about for so long, what a stupid company. Idiots want to buy Paramount and drag PlayStation down even more.

Its like the opposite of what MS were doing. MS was Using MS profits to invest in there gaming division while Sony is to investing those 10b+ in there movie division.

I dont mind them buying Paramount, but ffs use that same amount of money to invest in Playstation. Even if its small percentage in Publishers.
Plus Warner would be alot better for them then Paramout in my opinion. Warner also has Lego, DC and video game rights which would make more sense for Sony/Playstation

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
A studio is only as good as the devs who work there. There is no guarantee that the most important and skilled devs will stay for a long time after acquisition.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is still hope that Sony will acquire Square Enix.
Totoki:

"Popular IP is very expensive and competitive, we need to acquire them at the right value, if a premium is needed we need to generate more revenue from that IP so we need to have concrete ideas"

That matches exactly Totoki's words:

$3.71B it's now or never

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Buying publishers has been a disaster for the Xbox brand. Buying Devs at scale has been a disaster for Embracer

Why do you want Sony failing in the same way?

Buying a publisher increases operating costs exponentially. Right now Xbox operating costs are far too high to be maintained so they are forced into being a third party publisher

Sony's model of working with a developer as second party before acquiring them is the only one proven to work. Just this year they've had great success with Shift Up and Arrowhead and should be acquisition targets

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If Sony would buy a publisher, I would say it depends on the synergies they share and the publisher itself. With a Sega or Square Enix they would definitely not fail as Xbox currently does.