PlayStation Has Created An Official Youtube Channel For Esports

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just stay on topic. Nothing I said was incorrect, PS isn’t known for eSports. They’re cinematic single player games mostly. They’re just using third party games in the trailer. 😛

GTSport and GT7? GT sport was literally in the virtual Olympics.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Just stay on topic. Nothing I said was incorrect, PS isn’t known for eSports. They’re cinematic single player games mostly. They’re just using third party games in the trailer. 😛
Yet they own EVO... Just stop lying.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It doesn’t appear Sony thinks that way, why wouldn’t they include it in the trailer in the OP?

I don't work for Sony so I have no idea. Regardless, it is an ESport, and arguably one of the most credible ones, even in the racing community.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It his supposed to be a good or a bad news? Because honestly I have no interest in e-sports.
I'd say it isn't good or bad, because only means that they did open a separate youtube channel to put their eSports / PlayStation Tournaments stuff there. Not important news.

It doesn’t appear Sony thinks that way, why wouldn’t they include it in the trailer in the OP?
Sony has a minimal first party presence in eSports with games like Gran Turismo or Melty Blood Type Lumina, and as for now eSports aren't important for Sony first party games, including these ones.

But eSports are very important for some 3P partners and genres that generate a lot of money on PS (so for Sony), as it's the case of the top fighting games, sports games and shooters that in many cases are also top eSports games or overall top grossing games in console and particularly Sony, so Sony better keeps them as happy as possible (CoD, Fortnite, FIFA, Apex Legends, NBA 2K...)

By pushing the eSports of these 3P games, Sony makes more money directly and keep their partners happier, which helps them in potential future deals with them. In fact, this eSports promotions and these games being featured there may be part of their current deals. It also positions PS as platform for eSports, which is a market with a big growth an potential.

As an example, due to their efforts signing and supporting related games and events, PS is now the platform to play by default on eSports of fighting games. They also support their positioning in the eSports market with PlayStation Tournaments and their inZone hardware.

In a few years, very likely Sony will have more first party eSports game, so the bigger their eSports platform is, the better they will work. But there will be a gazillion other eSports games there, and PS will want to continue being the main platform for them.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Swift_Star