Playstation Home: Ahead of its time. Would you want a successor? This would be a perfect GAAS entry so Sony where is Home 2.0!?

Would you welcome a PS Home successor?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Need I say more? Released in 2008 (wow almost 16 years ago!) Nostalgia runs deep with this one. I remember spending hours goofing off in "Home" daily and entertained by the mini games and everyone's crazy costumes. In this day and age this would be the perfect "GAAS" entry and a no brainer, something ppl would love, immerse themselves in and pay tons of money just to have cool, different outfits. So Sony? Where is our successor? PSVR2 implementation would also add to the VR allure.

1711802855229.png

1711802867703.png

PlayStation Home was a virtual 3D social gaming platform developed by Sony Computer Entertainment's London Studio for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) on the PlayStation Network (PSN). It was accessible from the PS3's XrossMediaBar (XMB). Membership was free but required a PSN account. Upon installation, users could choose how much hard disk space they wished to reserve for Home. Development of the service began in early 2005 and it launched as an open beta on 11 December 2008. Home remained as a perpetual beta until its closure on 31 March 2015.

DeveloperLondon Studio
Loot Interactive (products)
Outso (content)
Heavy Water (content)
Virtuos (content)
TypeOnline community service
Virtual world[1]
Launch date11 December 2008
Current version1.87
Last updated1 April 2015 (last update)
Platform(s)PlayStation 3
StatusClosed (31 March 2015)
Members41 million (at time of closure)
Home allowed users to create a custom avatar, which could be groomed realistically. Each avatar was given a personal apartment that users could decorate with free, bought, or won items. Users could travel throughout the Home world, which was frequently updated by Sony and its partners. Public spaces were made for display, entertainment, advertising, and networking. Home's primary forms of advertising included spaces themselves, video screens, posters, and mini-games. Home also featured many single and multiplayer mini-games, and hosted a variety of special events, some of which provided prizes to players. Users could use items won to further customise their avatar or apartments.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw and Puff

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I am confused, It's a game about living at home, being able to change outfits, wash the dishes and watch TV while being at Home in real life?

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I am confused, It's a game about living at home, being able to change outfits, wash the dishes and watch TV while being at Home in real life?
Lol it was cool. You could customize your own apt, go play bowling, go to arcades, meet ppl, go out dancing, it was a whole virtual world. The arcades had mini games, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It did suck because lack of better minigames and specially ultra long loading/downloading times, but I had fun there with many things, I think i was an idea with potential but ahead of its time.

Lol it was cool. You could customize your own apt, go play bowling, go to arcades, meet ppl, go out dancing, it was a whole virtual world. The arcades had mini games, etc...
And also to stream live one of their E3 shocases. The idea was great, even if the video quality of the streaming did suck.

Something I also liked was to unlock items there to customize your character or house by getting trophies in normal games (like Resident Evil or Street Fighter). Not sure if they ever implemented it, but the idea of having a 3D museum with 3d versions of the trophies you got in the PS games was great.

I think it would be nice to bring PS Home with a 2.0 version that would implement this not only with trophies but PS Stars too. To let yo use them to decorate your house or to have them in a museum that can be visited with avatars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It did suck because lack of better minigames and specially ultra long loading/downloading times, but I had fun there with many things, I think i was an idea with potential but ahead of its time.

And also to stream live one of their E3 shocases. The idea was great, even if the video quality of the streaming did suck.

Something I also liked was to unlock items there to customize your character or house by getting trophies in normal games (like Resident Evil or Street Fighter). Not sure if they ever implemented it, but the idea of having a 3D museum with 3d versions of the trophies you got in the PS games was great.

I think it would be nice to bring PS Home with a 2.0 version that would implement this not only with trophies but PS Stars too. To let yo use them to decorate your house or to have them in a museum that can be visited with avatars.
I loved it and did alot. VR Home would be phenomenol.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Loved Home, it was really fun but started out rough...

Eventually they had a beach, you could buy different types of houses, it got some game integration for things like 2d Mortal Kombat and there was a pretty nice shopping area.

The issues were that it was pretty stiff, loading took forever and there wasn't enough diverse stuff to do. There could have been ways to show your trophies etc too...it was never delivered.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I loved it and did alot. VR Home would be phenomenol.
Yes, if PS Home 2.0 ever exist, I think it should be PSVR friendly. It's a great fit.

Loved Home, it was really fun but started out rough...

Eventually they had a beach, you could buy different types of houses, it got some game integration for things like 2d Mortal Kombat and there was a pretty nice shopping area.

The issues were that it was pretty stiff, loading took forever and there wasn't enough diverse stuff to do. There could have been ways to show your trophies etc too...it was never delivered.
I remember I got the bat cave as home, too. You were also able to get a pirate ship as home, but it was paid only so I didn't get it.

I loved the Namco Classics implementation: it was a collection of old arcade classics released for PS. If you bought them they gave you perfect reproductions of the arcade cabinets of the games for your PS Home house, where you were able to play the emulated games. Similar to what is done in Street Fighter 6, but in that case with PS Home being free but the emulated games being paid.