PlayStation Is Hiring For A Manager To Identify "Inorganic Growth Opportunities Through Acquisitions & Investments".

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Funny that FTC and CMA will now establish new regulations that will block Sony.
If Sony get them to do that it's not necessarily all bad since at least the big acquisitions would stop. Sony would be smart to try to get away with as much as possible going after publishers like Capcom, Sega, SE, CDPR while they still can and use the ABK acquisition to justify it.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Funny that FTC and CMA will now establish new regulations that will block Sony.

I'm not convinced that any of Sony's likely targets would break these rules.

If Sony get them to do that it's not necessarily all bad since at least the big acquisitions would stop.

You think that rules or even laws will somehow apply to MS?
feels game of thrones GIF

Reactions: Gamernyc78

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
why are they only hiring for this position now?
Honestly, they have more time to react that people here think. ABK will take a long time for MS to fully integrate and devour and even though the CMA will very likely approve the new deal, the review period in the meantime will buy Sony even more time to prepare. Not to mention Xbox are too incompetent to effectively eat into PS marketshare any time soon.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You think that rules or even laws will somehow apply to MS?
feels game of thrones GIF
They would not get away with blocking something like Capcom, CDPR and SE for Sony and then allowing EA or Ubisoft to be acquired by MS. MS is already larger than Sony as far as the amount of devs they have, there is no argument for Sony to simply closing that gap while having a much larger market share to cater to (Sony even port their game to PC these days so MS has no advantage there and all the arguments they used to justify their purchase of ABK would work for Sony).

Sony would be extremely stupid not to try and make moves now since there is no indication that MS buying something like CDPR would be stopped in any way and every indication that MS will actually try to buy more.

Honestly, they have more time to react that people here think. ABK will take a long time for MS to fully integrate and devour and even though the CMA will very likely approve the new deal, the review period in the meantime will buy Sony even more time to prepare. Not to mention Xbox are too incompetent to effectively eat into PS marketshare any time soon.
Sony can do absolutily nothing outside of what they were already going to do and their market share won't suffer. Nextgen is when it might be at some risk if Xbox survives until then and MS time their moves correctly.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Counter Acquisition…….

As for the regulator, aaaaaahhhh what can they do, they just allowed a $3 trillion company buy the biggest video game publisher in history.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
IMO the only acquistions sony could really face hurdles is EA or take two.

The biggest hangup with ABK was cod, with EA it would be all their sports games and with take two GTA.

Even though i'd love sony to go after EA or take two, i just don't see it hapenning.

I don't see sony facing much resistance from a SE or capcom purchase from the big regulators, what grounds could they use to oppose it? I don't see many arguments being found to stop it.

Even in japan i can't see any pushback from the regulators, at the moment japan badly needs competition to nintendo which sony could leverage.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, we'll have to wait and see, but I'm not convinced that there's this grand conspiracy to prevent PlayStation from being able to respond to what MS is doing. There's no way something small like Square would be blocked for example.
Assuming there is they still have to do something, even if they need to buy studios one at a time. Right now MS just has a much larger number of devs, this is not a reasonable position for Sony to be at if they care about PlayStation long-term.

Regardless of how shitty Xbox has been so far MS can't be underestimated at this point. It's something to completely outclass Xbox, it's something else to do it against Xbox + Bethesda + Activision + Blizzard. The effects of MS buying Bethesda will only start to manifest now with Starfield releasing.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony is really in bad position. They have to sell one of their divisions and buy a big publisher 😂. Microsoft's next target is T2. T2 doesn't make RPGs or 1st person shooters. Hence, Microsoft can buy them easily.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Better not be anymore startups or small operations....

But I think since Ken Yoshida mentioned they were focused on IP's, there is some hope that they buy something significant.

Hopefully not more GAAS stuff....unless it's Square or Ubisoft, where they have a mix.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Better not be anymore startups or small operations....

But I think since Ken Yoshida mentioned they were focused on IP's, there is some hope that they buy something significant.

Hopefully not more GAAS stuff....unless it's Square or Ubisoft, where they have a mix.
No please no Ubisoft. That company is shit.