PlayStation Is Hiring For A Manager To Identify "Inorganic Growth Opportunities Through Acquisitions & Investments".

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
After some restructuring and help with leadership...they could be turned into a very good company.

I understand your position though, I haven't played their games for quite a while.

Agree IP wise they have the best portfolio for the casuals.

Rayman, AC, Watch Dogs, Farcry.

Plus several military shooters to fill the eventual COD void like The Division, Xdefiant and Rainbow Six.

Price is also affordable.

Massive issue is how bloated they are.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I like how it says they ill do investments. I think investments into Japanese publishers would be the most efficient, quick way to lock down key partners. The tencent strategy makes the most sense for sony IMO.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony will never buy Ubisoft.
Forget Take2, EA and Ubisoft. Sony won’t go after massive western publisher. I highly doubt Microsoft would be able to justify a Take2 or EA buyout, because even the most corrupted regulator would see a clear pattern MS is trying to pursue.
Sony will prioritise IP and what’s better than Square Enix or Capcom. Both of them are treasure droves and will help them in long-term in other business segments (Anime, Manga, Music, Movies, Mobile games, GaaS)etc.

24 Jun 2022
Sony is really in bad position. They have to sell one of their divisions and buy a big publisher 😂. Microsoft's next target is T2. T2 doesn't make RPGs or 1st person shooters. Hence, Microsoft can buy them easily.

Are you a critic of MS's acquisition strategy or a cheerleader? Getting increasingly more difficult to tell.

I like how it says they ill do investments. I think investments into Japanese publishers would be the most efficient, quick way to lock down key partners. The tencent strategy makes the most sense for sony IMO.

Yeah, a mix of acquisitions, investments and share buys was always going to be the way to go. Sony doesn't need to actually buy that many publishers at all; 1-2 smaller ones (when compared to say Take-Two, EA or ABK) would be the limit, and one of them is likely 99% going to end up being Square-Enix.

Outside of that, expanding their investment strategy like what they've done with Epic, to other key Western & Asian 3P publishers (EA, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Bandai-Namco, Annapurna etc.), purchasing shares in key 3P partners, increasing their shares in From Software & Kadokawa, and maybe picking up a small handful of 3P developers who can help flesh out filling certain variety gaps in the 1P content pipeline would be great moves.

Additionally, if there's a good fit for any SIE personnel to become board members at any of these companies, try and get that to happen. The goal should be to secure 3P partners, and make it as difficult as possible for competitors who clearly want to cut you off from those 3P, to actually do so.

Forget Take2, EA and Ubisoft. Sony won’t go after massive western publisher. I highly doubt Microsoft would be able to justify a Take2 or EA buyout, because even the most corrupted regulator would see a clear pattern MS is trying to pursue.
Sony will prioritise IP and what’s better than Square Enix or Capcom. Both of them are treasure droves and will help them in long-term in other business segments (Anime, Manga, Music, Movies, Mobile games, GaaS)etc.

Yep. Western publishers by and large don't have IP which serve transmedia ventures very well. The one obvious exception I can think of is Ubisoft, but they are bloated in terms of employees and kind of have some glaring problems with their pipeline of content.

If Sony acquires any publishers they're going to be Japanese ones and, frankly, they need that variety to balance out the heavily Western focus of their other studios.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
After some restructuring and help with leadership...they could be turned into a very good company.

I understand your position though, I haven't played their games for quite a while.
With more IP they prevent franchise fatigue. Instead of 3 assassin's creeds how about an AC, a POP and a Splinter Cell, even if they're one each a gen. It's why I wish Sony would have gotten Tomb Raider to tik-tok release more refined UC games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
With more IP they prevent franchise fatigue. Instead of 3 assassin's creeds how about an AC, a POP and a Splinter Cell, even if they're one each a gen. It's why I wish Sony would have gotten Tomb Raider to tik-tok release more refined UC games.

IMO, Sony could just do more stuff like Uncharted: Legacy with Chloe & Nadine, or what'll likely do with Drake's daughter going forward, if you want a female protagonist for the lead in a side game or series.

Tomb Raider doesn't carry the power it used to in the '90s or early '00s, and the reboots petered out after the 2013 release so whatever brand power was restored is pretty much gone again.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ubisoft would be ok if Sony simply needed more manpower, as Ubisoft has a huge number of devs. I don't think that's Sony's mo though
No please no Ubisoft.
-Hopefully not more GAAS stuff....unless it's Square or Ubisoft, where they have a mix.
The one obvious exception I can think of is Ubisoft,

Nobody will buy Ubisoft because they don't want to sell it.

And as I remember they literally have a legally binding deal with Tencent that don't allow them to sell it for the next few years, can't remember if 5 or 8.

After the trillion software hoarder company buying ABK, there’s nothing regulators can do to stop any company from buying others.
That trilllion software company has a very small market share, so it's normal they allow them to acquire.

If regulators would stop an acquisition would be to someone with a huge market share making a big acquisition because could be seen as a monopolistic action.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Nobody will buy Ubisoft because they don't want to sell it. And literally have a legally binding deal with Tencent that don't allow them to sell it for the next few years, can't remember if 5 or 8.

That trilllion software company has a very small market share, so it's normal they allow them to acquire.

If regulators would stop an acquisition would be to someone with a huge market share making a big acquisition because could be seen as a monopolistic action.
Nintendo is the only one, then, if at that.
Nah, this is long gone. No one will stop gaming acquisitons anymore.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They keep hiring these inorganic dudettes and nothing happens.

I sleep

Tired Sleep GIF by Big Brother Australia

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think this is the first one they've done for the actual Playstation division.
No, there's many. They're all watching TV together.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
No, there's many. They're all watching TV together.

Either way I wouldn't be so quick to doom and gloom. I'm not expecting an annoumcement from Sony the second MS announces they're done buying ABK, that would be foolish to expect that, but I think we'll hear something by this time next year. Sony also did buy stuff shortly after those last 2 positions you linked were filled based on the dates.