PlayStation is in serious trouble if they don’t reverse course

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Thats icon era narrative, not the whole story. The damage was done before the Xbox one launched. There was inertia but also lots of 360 to PS4 switches.
MS dropped the ball from 2010 onward and lost a lot of momentum. Sony knows you can start slow but it's more important how you end a generation to gain goodwill toward the next. And uncharted 2 onward they showed that.

There were lots of folks that switched from 360 to PS4 due to this. Even without taking the PR launch shit show into consideration. Hell I would even go back to RROD as a cause. If I had a console that had to repair one or more times, sure as hell I would switch brands.
Despite the terrible launch of XONE (Onlne DRM, which was never implemented, Force Kinect, which no one asked for, etc.), it got good sales, a good starting lineup of games, and had partnerships with such mastodons as COD.

The situation was not as bad as it is now commonly believed, it could be fixed. But then came Spencer, who arranged ports to PC and the launch of GamePass, and this finally crushed the chance for the future of XONE.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Lmao this has to be the funniest thing, “Nintendo isn’t a competitor to Sony”
Laugh all you want but it doesn't make it less true. Sony sells a high performance platform that harbors 1st and 3rd parties alike. Nintendo sells a low performance platform that proportionately almost only sells their own 1st party games.
Aside from this pseudo-reality you created in your head, they've been catering for different markets for almost 20 years now. Nintendo has been very upfront about this through the years.

This isn't going to change with the Tegra T239 in 2025 on a new Nintendo console. The performance gap is still going to be massive and AAA 3rd parties are already struggling to get their games running on the Series S, let alone a much weaker SoC like the T239.

Rn you can get a Steamdeck for $450 & it’s plays PS4 & PS5 games at 1080p 60fps in some cases with multiplayer games or busy open worlds it runs 1080p 40fps.
You have no idea what the Steam Deck can or cannot do. You don't even know it has a 1280*800 screen which is why you're making up stuff like the Deck running PS5 games at 1080p 60FPS. The Van Gogh wasn't designed to run recent AAA games at 1080p30, let alone 1080p60.
Not even the Phoenix handheld PCs can run PS5 games at 1080p60.
I should know, I had both the ROG Ally, the Legion Go and two Steam Decks at home at some point.

Nintendo is also not the #1 in software sales. That would be Playstation.
For 2023 Nintendo did $12B in revenue while Sony did $30B. Nintendo has higher profits (not sales) because their games are a lot cheaper to make, but they sell a lot less software than Sony.

You make so much stuff up, it's honestly hard to keep up.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
image.png
It's definitely possible, it just isn't profitable enough for them to do so.

The thing is, they can't just use something like PCX3. A released product needs to have a certain quality and something like that is too inconsistent. It'd never get past their QA.

That can be improved, which brings us to the biggest reason. The market's just too small. Only a tiny amount of us would use it. That early Xbox BC data showed that less than 10% of people use BC. Sony isn't gonna invest time and money into something several hundred thousand people, at best, will use.

I'd love to see this, though. I have about 90 PS3 games. Imagine just playing that without needing to have a PS3 hooked up to the TV. And at higher framerates too. Xbox's BC is one of the best things they did.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
That’s a lot of words for you to say that it is your opinion that PC ports are killing the PlayStation platform.

Also, questions end in question marks, not periods.
You make so much stuff up, it's honestly hard to keep up.
This as well.