PlayStation is laying off around 900 people across the world [Discussion]

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
HZD is one of the best written games ever, FW had some goofy moments though
I thought the pacing in HZD was atrocious, I almost dropped the game until the story started picking up halfway through. The ending was amazing though. It ended up being a good game though but imo the writing isn't nearly as polished as the graphics are

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
If you beat it then I’m talking about how
Tilda randomly started simping for Aloy 😂 and then attacked her when she was rejected. It felt like something out of a CW teen drama
Oh that cringe fest! That was so awkward to watch. It really did feel like something out of a high school drama. Wow, I forgot about that. That was hard to watch.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
HFW was a total let down for me. They had this huge lore of the first game but the big baddy reveal at the end felt so out of left field for me. I was excited for the second game but after that I'm not looking out so much for the third game with any excitement. After finishing the first one, the game and possibilities of where the story might be going was in my mind for a long time. But I quickly forget most of the second game after finishing and didn't even wonder where the story would be going, only thing worth remembering for me was the Plainsong portion of the game.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Hermen Hulst should've been laid off, no idea how this guy isn't being penalized for doing absolutely nothing. All of these great 3rd party deals are coming from Shuhei Yoshida. Kena, Sifu, Ronin, Stellar Blade, and all of the cancelled live service junk is coming from Hermen Hulst. 🤦‍♂️

Jim Ryan's European coup has set us back. And now I am even more convinced Shu's comment last year about over dependance on GaaS is a bad bet, was cryptically aimed at them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Hermen Hulst should've been laid off, no idea how this guy isn't being penalized for doing absolutely nothing. All of these great 3rd party deals are coming from Shuhei Yoshida. Kena, Sifu, Ronin, Stellar Blade, and all of the cancelled live service junk is coming from Hermen Hulst. 🤦‍♂️

Kena, Sifu and Ronin predates Hulst, but never thought Stellar Blade would actually be Yoshida work. wow. what is a point of Hulst? he is a leech. leeching from PS.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Kena, Sifu and Ronin predates Hulst, but never thought Stellar Blade would actually be Yoshida work. wow. what is a point of Hulst? he is a leech. leeching from PS.
Yes they predate Hulst, but what has he provided close to those? Nothing, and yes he is a leech.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Game scope was small before playstation deal ... Yeah no shit that was painfully obvious but you've still got xbots crying about it not coming to Xbox when playstation have clearly given the money to make it good

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Shuhei Yoshida's work now is to be the head of PlayStation Indies, where they scout and support 3rd pary indies like Kena, Sifu, Stellar Blade, etc.

Hermen Hulst has a different job: to manage PS Studios, Sony's non-Bungie 1st and 2nd party games. As head of PS Studios, part of Hermen's job is to acquire, greenlight games, sign PS Studios 2nd party games, grow the studios or to make acquisitions, and also to decrease their size, cancel games or shut down studios. Just like Yoshida did when was the one in charge.

But since 2019. Before that, when I assume Ronin was signed -because they take several years to be made- as 2nd party (so 1st) games, the head of PS Studios was Yoshida instead.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Shuhei Yoshida's work now is to be the head of PlayStation Indies, where they scout and support 3rd pary indies like Kena, Sifu, Stellar Blade, etc.

Hermen Hulst has a different job: to manage PS Studios, Sony's non-Bungie 1st and 2nd party games. As head of PS Studios, part of Hermen's job is to acquire, greenlight games, sign PS Studios 2nd party games, grow the studios or to make acquisitions, and also to decrease their size, cancel games or shut down studios. Just like Yoshida did when was the one in charge.

But since 2019. Before that, when I assume Ronin was signed -because they take several years to be made- as 2nd party (so 1st) games, the head of PS Studios was Yoshida instead.
Yes, and Shuhei's been doing a phenomenal job while Hulst has been vacationing and allowing first party projects to run way over budget, behind schedule, and lead to outright cancellation because either milestones were being missed, the games were looking trash af, or there were unrealistic expectations being given - which are all things he should be responsible for and on top of. Hulst definitely needs to go.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, and Shuhei's been doing a phenomenal job while Hulst has been vacationing
So according to you the boss of PS Studios can't have vacations and can't post photos in social media?

and allowing first party projects to run way over budget, behind schedule, and lead to outright cancellation because either milestones were being missed, the games were looking trash af, or there were unrealistic expectations being given - which are all things he should be responsible for and on top of. Hulst definitely needs to go.
Delays, cancellations and studio closures is something that always happened at Sony and in all companies. When Yoshida has head of WW/PS Studios too. Btw, many of these titles (including GaaS, remasterrs, remakes or PC ports) published, delayed or cancelled by Hermen weren't planned or greenlighted by him. Yoshida did, Hermen has been only there since Nov. 2019.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
So according to you the boss of PS Studios can't have vacations and can't post photos in social media?

Delays, cancellations and studio closures is something that always happened at Sony and in all companies. When Yoshida has head of WW/PS Studios too. Btw, many of these titles (including GaaS, remasterrs, remakes or PC ports) published, delayed or cancelled by Hermen weren't planned or greenlighted by him. Yoshida did, Hermen has been only there since Nov. 2019.
My man can have a holiday but don't post it online when we're in a cost of living crisis & & most of us are barely surviving

Reactions: Umar

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

Almost 5 years later and we still can't see nothing from Hermen's tenure as head of Worldwide Studios... 5 years from now you'll still be defending his incompetence since it would kill you to ever be honest or critical of playstation.

The fact we haven't seen anything he has greenlighted except cancellations, studio closures, overblown budgets, remakes and PC ports under his watch. I can't wait for the day he is demoted or better yet fired

Then he'll truly have all the time for his most important job going on yachts and drinking beer.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Almost 5 years later and we still can't see nothing from Hermen's tenure as head of Worldwide Studios... 5 years from now you'll still be defending his incompetence since it would kill you to ever be honest or critical of playstation.

The fact we haven't seen anything he has greenlighted except cancellations, studio closures, overblown budgets, remakes and PC ports under his watch. I can't wait for the day he is demoted or better yet fired

Then he'll truly have all the time for his most important job going on yachts and drinking beer.
there's always an excuse for this guy according to some. what matters in the end is results and hermen has come in way below expectations.

Reactions: Danja1187