PlayStation is much more than it's exclusives games. PlayStation is the backbone of the AAA and AA industry.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
It needs to be said. Gaming as we know it would not exist, it would not be sustainable without PlayStation and it's console installed based.

None of the developers would be able to survive on just PC and even with Nintendo, they would struggle.

Exclusives are great but with Xbox on deaths door, they have now become less necessary and the recent cuts reflect this shift in the market.

PlayStation need to return to selling as much hardware as possible and pushing third party software sales, with a smaller first party offering.

My message is to prepare for the one console market. It's already here.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It needs to be said. Gaming as we know it would not exist, it would not be sustainable without PlayStation and it's console installed based.

None of the developers would be able to survive on just PC and even with Nintendo, they would struggle.

Exclusives are great but with Xbox on deaths door, they have now become less necessary and the recent cuts reflect this shift in the market.

PlayStation need to return to selling as much hardware as possible and pushing third party software sales, with a smaller first party offering.

Great point. Sony being tightwads on reducing the hardware price is bad for the whole industry seeing as they are mostly carrying it. (Besides Steam)

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Every publisher like Take2, Square, EA, Ubisoft and Capcom rely on Playstation to make money. People campaigning for Sony to abandon consoles are actually hoping to kill the whole industry.

PC will never sustain all these franchises

OP
OP
Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Every publisher like Take2, Square, EA, Ubisoft and Capcom rely on Playstation to make money. People campaigning for Sony to abandon consoles are actually hoping to kill the whole industry.

This is it.

PC doesn't sell enough on day 1 of each game launch to keep even half of AAA as vibrant as it has been.

The rise of steam is inversely correlated with the health of AAA gaming.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
PlayStation literally sells 10x more games than Steam, i've never seen a game hit 20/30M copies sold on PC, piracy will never allow it to happen
we're talking about some counter factual where playstation didn't exist. seems like a lot of people forget that gaming existed before playstation and we've essentially grown up through the entire development of the medium. PC gaming used to be reliably 2 or 3 generations ahead of consoles. what could've been called "aaa" on SNES was nothing compared to CD-ROM era PC gaming in 1993.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Youre part of the problem if you think sony should give away their exclusive games like xbox

Xbox is sinkin why should follow their path, stupid take

Reactions: Puff

bxrz

30 Aug 2022

They rely on most/all platforms to make money. That's why none of these guys really make exclusives like that.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Youre part of the problem if you think sony should give away their exclusive games like xbox

Xbox is sinkin why should follow their path, stupid take
I don't understand how you get to claim authority on what The Problem is at Sony.

How can Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan, Hiroki Totoki all be part of the problem? They ARE Playstation, you just buy their products.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I don't understand how you get to claim authority on what The Problem is at Sony.

How can Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan, Hiroki Totoki all be part of the problem? They ARE Playstation, you just buy their products.
Im not listening to pc elitist view on playstation

Your words are meaningless to me

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They rely on most/all platforms to make money. That's why none of these guys really make exclusives like that.
Xbox is a dead platform they make nothing on that.

Without Playstation, AAA doesn't exist. That's why there is none on PC, even Valve doesn't bother to make anything because the sales are garbage and unsustainable.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Thanks, Jimbo.

Yes, Playstation is the platform where most multiplatform 3rd party devs sell the most AAA, AA and even indie games. It's role is key for the industry and will be even more important in the future as Xbox keeps losing market share and eventually dissapears.

They didn't reach their target for this quarter, but still had great hardware sales this quarter and fiscal year (in hardware revenue generated record money).

But regarding their 1st party output, it will increase instead of decreasing because they are now working in more games than ever before.

And yes, without Xbox competing and budgets getting skyrocketing exclusives won't be as important and both Sony and the 3rd party publishers will need to release their games in more platforms, so a progressive shift to a more PS + PC (+ mobile depending on the specific game case) multiplatform mindset will be needed.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Now answer me this how are playsation suppose to sell console if people can find their games elsewhere

You can already see the impact of ps5 exclusive game absence with the declining ps5 sales recently

Reactions: Jim Ryan

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Im not listening to pc elitist view on playstation

Your words are meaningless to me
Don't listen to me, listen to the statements of the decision makers at Playstation

Also I'm not a PC elitist. I like that PC is incredibly populist. it's global. And the most popular gpus on steam are cheaper than a PS5

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Now answer me this how are playsation suppose to sell console if people can find thier games elsewhere
For the same reason people always bought home consoles instead of PC or portables: because they like to play high end games on their tv sitting in the sofa for an affordable price.

Soon PS will be the only home console, so will have this market for them. In the same way Nintendo now has the portable consoles market for them.

P.S.: Multiplatform 3rd party games always represented the big majority of game sales in all gaming platforms with the Nintendo ones as exception (since when Nintendo started to don't give a shit about 3rd party needs in N64).

we literally sustain the biggest games in the industry
Excluding the big companies focused on mobile, Nintendo and a few big PC focused companies like Valve, Riot or maybe CD Projekt, all big multiplatform players in the gaming industry, plus many smaller ones, have PS as their top grossing platform.

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I think a meaningful part of PS's identity is great first-party games. I'd like them to double down on their first-party offerings and prioritize them. The third-party games will happen regardless, after all.

Reactions: JAHGamer