PlayStation is much more than it's exclusives games. PlayStation is the backbone of the AAA and AA industry.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
For the same reason people always bought home consoles instead of PC or portables: because they like to play high end games on their tv sitting in the sofa for an affordable price.

Soon PS will be the only home console.
This clasic statement again. You realize people can play pc game on living room right

And theres no guarantee for sony to be the only player new competitior can come in the future

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
None of this is actually true, but I do love Playstation.
PlayStation is the only platform pushing for new ways to develop games via hardware solutions. Its been know that now even GPU’s are looking into storage on their chips. So they can actually utilize direct storage.

Find me a game anywhere with instant loading? Find me a title doing what Spider-Man 2 is doing with its map loading/transitions.

Show me a pc title with the facial animations and mo-cap that’s close to naughty dog, Insimniac, Santa Monica.

Sony has pushed that space and technology. On paper PS5 has less CU’s and smaller apu, yet digital foundry says PS5 hits above its weight because of the combo of their storage I/o solution and custom api.

Sony pushed Nintendo and others.

Without them where would there be mo-cap studios using newest Sony camera’s snd sensors?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This clasic statement again. You realize people can play pc game on living room right
Yes, but not at the hardware price and plug and play experience that consoles give you.

In consoles you don't need to worry about issues with drivers, loud fans, new games not being compatible or running decently with your specs, having to constantly tweak many things, having to setup some tv+gamepad specific setup, configuring stuff, etc.

You just buy a console, games for it and everything just works well.

And theres no guarantee for sony to be the only player new competitior can come in the future
Yes, Sony will indirectly compete against Nintendo and the (if they don't release their own store compatible with them) PC handhelds, plus pretty likely in the future some PC home console built by some PC handheld manufacturer.

As more AAA games keep releasing in the future for mobile platforms too, at some point Google and Apple may release their own home consoles if not integrated in the PC handhelds and PC portables.

I also think that cloud gaming will continue growing and will eat an important portion of the pie too somewhere in the future (maybe around 10 years from now), since there will be different cloud gaming services in tvs reaching a quality good enough for most players to decide to play there (+ in their computer, tablet or smartphone) instead of natively in a console or pc.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
PlayStation is the only platform pushing for new ways to develop games via hardware solutions. Its been know that now even GPU’s are looking into storage on their chips. So they can actually utilize direct storage.

Find me a game anywhere with instant loading? Find me a title doing what Spider-Man 2 is doing with its map loading/transitions.

Show me a pc title with the facial animations and mo-cap that’s close to naughty dog, Insimniac, Santa Monica.

Sony has pushed that space and technology. On paper PS5 has less CU’s and smaller apu, yet digital foundry says PS5 hits above its weight because of the combo of their storage I/o solution and custom api.

Sony pushed Nintendo and others.

Without them where would there be mo-cap studios using newest Sony camera’s snd sensors?
PCIe4 was going to happen and has happened. Credit to Playstation for using standard SSDs, but they didn't invent it.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PCIe4 was going to happen and has happened. Credit to Playstation for using standard SSDs, but they didn't invent it.

You have no clue what your talking about. I'm literally talking about physical chips created for I/O solution that works together with the apu in a seemless solution. Direct storage came 3-4 years after Sony designed and brought the solution to market. Which was according to developers like Matt on reset who knew about it, was like looking 4 years in the future of graphics compute.

And what are engines doing now? Where is Unreal 5 with streaming these assets the way Sony's API, and custom engines do in games on PC?

Your PCIE4 makes no fucking sense when we are talking about DIrect Storage which is a software api instruction set, done by Direct x 12(api). It's a api software instruction that bytpasses using slow system memory to stream the data.

Before PS5 came into the mix with their storage/memory streaming solution it went, PC application gets temp loaded into system memory then sends some stuff as its culled by GPU into VRAM. How Sony does it is they have VRAM is their system ram, and the storage is seen as one big unified VRAM that can temp store the assets in a ready state as the culls come in and be sent instantly.

Hence instant loading on custom titles seen in Demons Souls Remake, Spiderman 2/Miles MOrales, racthet and clank with (4k assets). Where you probably are going to replay or respond is "PC CAN DO THIS ALREADY" it can but its all titles that are Sony titles and for 4k asset quality you need a highspeed NVME. If you try it at 4k asset settings, with a slower sata ssd it hitches and has fps issues.

No PC title to date is doing what Sony does period. Direct storage has literally been out in the wild for 2 years now. ANd no one is doing what Sony is doing.

No one is using the camera's/Sensors Sony has for mo-cap facial capture. Ubisoft/Rockstar use Sony's tech.

24 Jun 2022
Exclusives are great but with Xbox on deaths door, they have now become less necessary and the recent cuts reflect this shift in the market.

PlayStation need to return to selling as much hardware as possible and pushing third party software sales, with a smaller first party offering.

Nah that's some Good Guy Phil™ kool-aid, not drinking it. Xbox isn't PlayStation's only competitor, and considering platforms like Steam have a ton of their own exclusives by default (including Valve's own games like Counterstrike 2 and DOTA 2), exclusives are very much still important for PlayStation. You don't have a brand identity in the entertainment space without stuff to call your own.

What you also need to remember is that 3P software sales were "pushed" by PlayStation in the past because a lot of that 3P were defacto exclusive to PlayStation. This was especially true in the PS1 & PS2 gens, where the vast majority of the audience for many games were primarily on PlayStation. Over the years and due to increased competition those audiences have splintered off to other platforms like Xbox, Nintendo, mobile, and PC (primarily Steam). Because earlier PS systems had that 3P support as defacto exclusives, Sony's 1P in itself didn't have to cover certain markets because 3P did it for them just by existing and by PlayStation being such a dominant force in the gaming market.

PlayStation is still the dominant force at least in terms of traditional (non-mobile, non-GaaS) core-orientated gaming, but it's safe to say it's lost a good amount of its unique software library edge because a lot of the 3P who used to default exclusively to PlayStation in the past or primarily focused on PlayStation, have gone multiplatform and are releasing most or all of their games on more competitor platforms. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, as such is the choice of the 3P and if they deem it financially viable, that's what they should do.

But it's up to Sony to offer alternatives 1P-wise that can fill the void of those games missing as exclusives to the PS platform, and I think Sony could be doing a much better job on that front specifically because a lot of what's missing now in terms of defacto 3P exclusives are AA and smaller niche-style titles, JRPGs (Persona no longer PS-exclusive, Final Fantasy games coming more regularly to PC/Steam (and likely soon, Nintendo), games like Unicorn Overlord being multiplatform when in the past they'd of been PS-exclusive or at most PS/Nintendo-only titles, etc.), fighters (all the big fighting games are now on PC Day 1) etc.

Although the PS3 gen wasn't great for Sony financially, IMO it was arguably the best of them 1P-wise in terms of overall software variety. You had the AAA story-driven bangers like Uncharted 2 & 3, and TLOU, you had sim racers like GT5 & GT6, arcade racers like Motorstorm, AA-style platformers like LBP & Puppeteer, puzzle games like Locoroco & Echochrome, "artsy" games like Flower, action/adventure games like GOW3 & Heavenly Sword (IIRC don't Sony own the IP for that?), RPGs like Demon's Souls, and small indie-like games like Fat Princess. And that's just the 1P-related stuff.

IMO Sony has to get back to filling those voids left in 3P exclusives no longer being defacto exclusives, and it'd be a lot more lucrative for them long-term vs. pushing for even more timed 3P exclusives (specifically those that don't even delay a PC release for that long, or where Sony's money has had no role in helping to co-fund the game's existence or help with co-development at the technical & creative levels). It ultimately benefits them as a publisher (in terms of revenue, profits, and IP catalog) to have as varied a library of their own games as possible, to bolster their own hardware platform, and that also gives them more flexibility in choosing what games to leverage for a multiplatform strategy if they feel it's worth doing.

If that do that, it ultimately benefits PlayStation and covers Sony regardless of what 3P decide to do. If 3P continue to go fully multiplatform or even prioritize another platform over PlayStation, Sony have their own expanded variety of 1P titles to keep more customers in the ecosystem satisfied, and their profits up. But more likely, 3P will feel more compelled to support the platform than they already do, because Sony expanding their 1P to cover gaps left by once-defacto 3P exclusives now going multiplatform, would be coming at a time where PS as a brand is already massive, and almost all 3P already support it one way or another anyhow. So this just grows more of the appeal for the brand from Sony's end, and that gives more reasons for 3P to support it with content.

Reactions: Airbus and Jim Ryan

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You have no clue what your talking about. I'm literally talking about physical chips created for I/O solution that works together with the apu in a seemless solution. Direct storage came 3-4 years after Sony designed and brought the solution to market. Which was according to developers like Matt on reset who knew about it, was like looking 4 years in the future of graphics compute.

And what are engines doing now? Where is Unreal 5 with streaming these assets the way Sony's API, and custom engines do in games on PC?

Your PCIE4 makes no fucking sense when we are talking about DIrect Storage which is a software api instruction set, done by Direct x 12(api). It's a api software instruction that bytpasses using slow system memory to stream the data.

Before PS5 came into the mix with their storage/memory streaming solution it went, PC application gets temp loaded into system memory then sends some stuff as its culled by GPU into VRAM. How Sony does it is they have VRAM is their system ram, and the storage is seen as one big unified VRAM that can temp store the assets in a ready state as the culls come in and be sent instantly.

Hence instant loading on custom titles seen in Demons Souls Remake, Spiderman 2/Miles MOrales, racthet and clank with (4k assets). Where you probably are going to replay or respond is "PC CAN DO THIS ALREADY" it can but its all titles that are Sony titles and for 4k asset quality you need a highspeed NVME. If you try it at 4k asset settings, with a slower sata ssd it hitches and has fps issues.

No PC title to date is doing what Sony does period. Direct storage has literally been out in the wild for 2 years now. ANd no one is doing what Sony is doing.

No one is using the camera's/Sensors Sony has for mo-cap facial capture. Ubisoft/Rockstar use Sony's tech.
i do know what i'm talking about

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
i do know what i'm talking about

Obviously not if you are only bringing up a interface/chipset when we are talking about IO/SOLUTION thats based on dedicated decompression chip compared to a solution thats via API(software Instruction) used in conjunction with PCIE X4+ and has to be coded on a engine/game level. While PS5's is a straight hardware solution.