PlayStation is skipping Gamescom again this year

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Do they really have a choice? It's a European hosted show and their sales numbers in Europe this gen resemble a bombed-out 1945 Berlin.
of course they have a choice. Xbox still got plenty to show. They don't need to go gamescom. This event will be do nothing for their consoles. Doesn't matter if they go or not. Consoles sales will remain the same.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Do they really have a choice? It's a European hosted show and their sales numbers in Europe this gen resemble a bombed-out 1945 Berlin.

Europe has always been PlayStation and Nintendo land

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I don't mind them skipping Keighley's borefests but they need to do better themselves. Having zero communication for months and then revealing a lame GaaS or a pc port is just a slap in the face of the fans that made Playstation what it is today.
But don't you enjoy seeing those nice profits? Who needs games when you can count somebody else's money?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
This would have been a good time to talk about the Pro.

One can only assume that they will have their own big event closer to the time. Maybe September or October?

Then again, this is Sony in their arrogant cycle so who the fuck knows.

24 Jun 2022
Sony will be at Gamescom, as they go to a ton of events. But to make business behind the doors, without having a booth to showcase games to the public.

Cool, so they won't be at Gamescom in a way that the vast majority of actual gamers care about. Which is basically what this news is. Got it.

A few weeks ago Yoshida came to Spain to scout indies in a small indie games event. So obviously they'll be at Gamescom too.

That's nice but this is a multi-billion dollar platform holder. They can afford and have the skills to do multiple things at once. Scouting for new projects & talent does not negate choosing to skip having a presentation/public presence at yet another notable gaming event, especially when there's a large chance PlayStation will have no Showcase this year anyway.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
One would think they'd attempt to reintroduce Concord there, the games pre-orders are a colossal failure so far on PSN 🤔

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That's nice but this is a multi-billion dollar platform holder. They can afford and have the skills to do multiple things at once. Scouting for new projects & talent does not negate choosing to skip having a presentation/public presence at yet another notable gaming event, especially when there's a large chance PlayStation will have no Showcase this year anyway.
Yes, they can afford to have a big booth at events like GC, TGS, China joy, G-Star (or E3 in the past) etc. If they don't do it it's because they consider it worth it.

All the costs related to having a big E3/GC booth combined are a 7 digit number, and only around 100K people or less will take attention to what is shown there. With that money you can get many millions of views in targeted online ads. Meaning not only will have more visualizations, but they will be shown to people who are more likely to convert into sales.

At some point in the past generation decided to reduce these presential events booth efforts to almost zero, and invest more on making more online showcases with State of Play/Showcases, plus social media, PS blog and more online ads.

Looking at their numbers, seems this new strategy is more affective: they have a bigger active userbase than ever, make more money selling games+addons+subs than ever and their own games sell more than ever.

Their presence in these kind of events for the public sometimes is limited to them being a sponsor/co-fund the indies area.

One can only assume that they will have their own big event closer to the time. Maybe September or October?
Normally they have a State of Play on Septermber, shortly before TGS. This year TGS dates are September 26-29, so Sony could have their State of Play pretty likely maybe somewhere around September 20-25.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony does the same thing they've been doing for years, only this time they're doomed, right? Fucking hell...
Maybe Sony should stop doing what they've been doing for years, seems as it isn't working and, on this pro-sony forum, many of the users are calling for a change.
It worked with the PS4, why change a winning formula?

24 Jun 2022
Yes, they can afford to have a big booth at events like GC, TGS, China joy, G-Star (or E3 in the past) etc. If they don't do it it's because they consider it worth it.

Or they're just cheap. Usually the easiest answer is the correct one.

All the costs related to having a big E3/GC booth combined are a 7 digit number, and only around 100K people or less will take attention to what is shown there. With that money you can get many millions of views in targeted online ads. Meaning not only will have more visualizations, but they will be shown to people who are more likely to convert into sales.

The VGAs put up tons of money for their events annually and get 100+ million views. So no, there is definitely room to reach a ton of people with these events, especially considering they are both in-person and streamed (or at least, that's what events like E3 did).

Online ads don't foster a community the way events like PS Experience did, or events like E3 did for that matter. And if you don't foster a community, eventually your customer base begins to crumble away, too.

At some point in the past generation decided to reduce these presential events booth efforts to almost zero, and invest more on making more online showcases with State of Play/Showcases, plus social media, PS blog and more online ads.

Most of the SOPs have sucked and increasingly seen fewer views and engagement as they are not satisfying a growing portion of the viewer base. Sony's number of annual events have slowed to a trickle, after they promised "hundreds of shows" back in 2020.

The SOPs, Showcases etc. aren't doing a great job at fostering enthusiasm in the community. Their social media presence is lackluster, and the PS Blog is very impersonal. Online ads are just online ads.

Looking at their numbers, seems this new strategy is more affective: they have a bigger active userbase than ever, make more money selling games+addons+subs than ever and their own games sell more than ever.

And yet this is looking like the most creatively unambitious era of SIE I have seen yet. I don't care about the sales or the revenue anymore; it's not my money and does nothing for me so why should I care?

What might be reaching most of the casuals and mainstream isn't a good barometer for what satisfies the hardcore & core enthusiast.

Their presence in these kind of events for the public sometimes is limited to them being a sponsor/co-fund the indies area.

Normally they have a State of Play on Septermber, shortly before TGS. This year TGS dates are September 26-29, so Sony could have their State of Play pretty likely maybe somewhere around September 20-25.

At this point they need more than a State of Play; not just for my own personal want but also because if the PS5 Pro is releasing this year they'd probably want to give it a bit of a focus. More than what a SOP can normally provide.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This would have been a good time to talk about the Pro.

Then again, this is Sony in their arrogant cycle so who the fuck knows.
I want games not a more expensive console that's going to play all the same games that the ps5 I got a year ago can play

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

We don't want a booth at gamescon we want a proper big playstation showcase but the probability is we'll get neither & that shite state of play is our lot

Reactions: Box

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
i swear lmao, every time someone talks about how nice would be to see what we will have on the future its always the same, if they announced that they would stop making games some people would go

"you see, since they have third party games its not worth it to do your own, they are also earning tons of money selling hardware so its fine to drop their studios"

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and JAHGamer

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I want games not a more expensive console that's going to play all the same games that the ps5 I got a year ago can play
You've just described the PS5 to what the PS4 is. The PS5 is a PS4Propro and I don't mean it in the "hur dur every new generation console is a pro".
The PSVR2 is the real next gen console

• thinking_hard
Reactions: 2spooky5me