PlayStation: Our live-service games will target different genres, release schedules and audiences

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m still under the impression that TLOU Online will also be a pve game and the biggest game they’ve done to date.

I think expectations should be much higher than it is.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I’m still under the impression that TLOU Online will also be a pve game and the biggest game they’ve done to date.

I think expectations should be much higher than it is.

Yeah PVE and Naughty Dog story telling in a large online game would be amazing. Add in some PVP against other factions and humans too.
It could be special. Naughty Dog really nailed the combat in TLOU2 compared to TLOU1

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I really wish some publisher was willing to try their hands at a ambitious MMO, WoW and other games that released around that time were so fresh and then we got stuck.

Sony should bring back Ultima online. Its time…

Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony should bring back Ultima online. Its time…
The dumbded down version we get of MMOs now lacks vision for the genre. Not everyone in the online world needs to be the most powerful geared up player that sees all the raid content, that just shows a massive lack of creativity from devs. A virtual world does not need to revolve solely around combat.

• sad
Reactions: Kokoloko
D

Deleted member 417

TLoU Online, a mix between PUBG (survival, team and factions, no shrinking ring crap), Gears' horde mode (survive while waves of enemies attack your base, dropping resources and loot) and EVE (factions, economy, bartering etc) would be pretty cool.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
TLoU Online, a mix between PUBG (survival, team and factions, no shrinking ring crap), Gears' horde mode (survive while waves of enemies attack your base, dropping resources and loot) and EVE (factions, economy, bartering etc) would be pretty cool.
You ruined it with the horde mode.

I want a AAA Project Zomboid by ND using TLoU IP, would be the GoaT.

D

Deleted member 417

You ruined it with the horde mode.

I want a AAA Project Zomboid by ND using TLoU IP, would be the GoaT.
Not horde in the sense of 'survive these mindless waves of ever increasing enemies'. More like a 'at 6pm (game time) waves of enemies will come out and hunt down humans for food, be prepared, sheltered in place and preferably in a team'.

Kind of like the idea between the shrinking circles in Battle Royales is there to push the action together, the 'horde' mode would be used to push players together to create factions and teams, or those who wish to play solo, could avoid the hordes as they are only a small target.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not horde in the sense of 'survive these mindless waves of ever increasing enemies'. More like a 'at 6pm (game time) waves of enemies will come out and hunt down humans for food, be prepared, sheltered in place and preferably in a team'.

Kind of like the idea between the shrinking circles in Battle Royales is there to push the action together, the 'horde' mode would be used to push players together to create factions and teams, or those who wish to play solo, could avoid the hordes as they are only a small target.
TLoU multiplayer should be more about factions fighting instead of infected. Infected should just be hazards around the map.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Casting a wide net to try and find a hit. My theory is that their first party games are becoming so expensive to make that they're hoping they can get some live service games that pull in enough money to pay for it all.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I really wish some publisher was willing to try their hands at a ambitious MMO, WoW and other games that released around that time were so fresh and then we got stuck.
You cannot do much with multiplayer.
Multiplayer game design is very limited and boring. Sony won't make anything special despit Hulst's PR. It's gonna be same rinse and repeat but a bit more polished games with Sony's premium coat.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You cannot do much with multiplayer.
Multiplayer game design is very limited and boring. Sony won't make anything special despit Hulst's PR. It's gonna be same rinse and repeat but a bit more polished games with Sony's premium coat.
You can do a lot with multiplayer games, we used to have some awesome games (for their time at least) before this new trends of making games focused on cosmetics, micro transactions, season passes, daily quests and so on.

I'm not sure how good Sony games are going to be but there are definitely ways to make good and interesting multiplayer games.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Casting a wide net to try and find a hit. My theory is that their first party games are becoming so expensive to make that they're hoping they can get some live service games that pull in enough money to pay for it all.
Games costs more to make, but they are selling them at $70 ( mostly digital with no packaging, no shipping, no retail) and are breaking sales records. Most of their games do 15-20 million copies. Some like Spider-Man is probably 30+. I asure you the next Spider-Man will break records unheard off within SIE.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You can do a lot with multiplayer games, we used to have some awesome games (for their time at least) before this new trends of making games focused on cosmetics, micro transactions, season passes, daily quests and so on.

I'm not sure how good Sony games are going to be but there are definitely ways to make good and interesting multiplayer games.
What can you do more? Add complexity and innovations = lose simplicity and never gain the player base you are chasing.

Sony is making these games to get the money of Fortniters and Warzoners. Not you. I advise people to manage their expectations.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What can you do more? Add complexity and innovations = lose simplicity and never gain the player base you are chasing.

Sony is making these games to get the money of Fortniters and Warzoners. Not you. I advise people to manage their expectations.
We'll see, I could see Sony finding an angle to make them appealing. Factions sounds good to me on paper, since TLoU Part 2 had great gameplay and the IP is very suitable.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We'll see, I could see Sony finding an angle to make them appealing. Factions sounds good to me on paper, since TLoU Part 2 had great gameplay and the IP is very suitable.
As I told you if they go ambitious with game design then they are catering to you and the liks of you. They will never capture that player base.

I still don't see how TLOU2 gameplay can translate to multiplayer without dumbing it down. The AI, scripted scenario and level design is the core of that fantastic gameplay

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's smart to target different genres and player types, because as they mentioned many GaaS are very time consuming, so they can't be all the same type of game (like the typical shooter).

Good luck to them then. Big challenge to stand out.
Destiny 2, GT7 and MLB already are standing out.

Yes, and ND made very good multiplayer games in TLOU1 and the Uncharted games, but they were extras. The question is if they'll be able to achieve a game focused on MP, and to adapt to an evolving GaaS. But I'm very confident about this game. I think it won't be the next Fortnite, but I think that in the long term will be as successful as a single CoD title/a normal TLOU game.

I still don't see how TLOU2 gameplay can translate to multiplayer without dumbing it down. The AI, scripted scenario and level design is the core of that fantastic gameplay
Think The Division or Destiny but with TLOU mechanics, setting, etc., being part of it like Factions 1.

When Druckmann announced it confirmed this is their biggest project ever, and that will integrate their iconic narrative in the game, so I assume will feature PVE parts.

Last edited: