PlayStation Portal sells out in two days as resellers swoop in.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I see what youre saying it really is expensive but Sonys doing it atm technically with the portal. Nintendo kinda just settled for a hybrid device.
No, they are NOT.

The portal doesn’t natively play anything, it’s a dedicated Remote Play device, the only native software on it is the Remote Play client.

They are supporting the PS5, and selling a PS5 controller with a screen in it.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Sony knows exactly who they selling this to, how many of them are out there willing to buy a Portal and how much they willing to pay for it.
Sony did not just wake up one day and said lets do this, they sat down for years looking at data and surveying folks before they made and ship the Portal.

This is what good management looks like.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sony knows exactly who they selling this to, how many of them are out there willing to buy a Portal and how much they willing to pay for it.
Sony did not just wake up one day and said lets do this, they sat down for years looking at data and surveying folks before they made and ship the Portal.

It never ceases to amaze me how many gamers seem to think Sony is a bumbling mess of a company, rather than the efficient, smart company they really are.

Another way people misattribute Microsoft traits and behaviour to Sony, I suppose.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
No, they are NOT.

The portal doesn’t natively play anything, it’s a dedicated Remote Play device, the only native software on it is the Remote Play client.

They are supporting the PS5, and selling a PS5 controller with a screen in it.

What you have said is true. It is a remote play device. I also think if Sony is able to manufacture this device and charge you 200 for it then I believe they can make a true portable device.

Reactions: Diah

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That’s a long Lifespan for the vita. It really was a nifty little device that I’m surprised didn’t take off especially considering how bad Nintendo was doing at that moment. It baffles me sony didnt force Nintendo into becoming a 3rd party dev tbh.
There's time for that once the Microsoft threat has been vanquished. 2027 MS. 2030 Nintendo. They already pushed Nintendo out of home consoles.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Honestly the ideas cool and all but why not a true PlayStation portable device? I never played Anything on the psp itself but with The switches success it could sell decently. Just seems like Sony gives up too quickly on their Products.
They gave up too quickly on the Vita, and that's why they should never do another dedicated portable again. Even on PSP, which was excellent and successful, Sony didn't put Santa Monica and Naughty Dog on portable games. Vita launched with an original Uncharted and couldn't get traction. Switch is successful because Nintendo gave up on consoles to get behind it 100%.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
There's time for that once the Microsoft threat has been vanquished. 2027 MS. 2030 Nintendo. They already pushed Nintendo out of home consoles.

I don’t think Microsoft is going anywhere unfortuneately lol. Nintendo can if they slip up or the bigger big tech companies start making game consoles.

They gave up too quickly on the Vita, and that's why they should never do another dedicated portable again. Even on PSP, which was excellent and successful, Sony didn't put Santa Monica and Naughty Dog on portable games. Vita launched with an original Uncharted and couldn't get traction. Switch is successful because Nintendo gave up on consoles to get behind it 100%.

That had been my impression of what happened. As a business it would be a smarter move to just take The loss before it costs you too much money. And yes nintendo likely didn’t have the money to do two consoles at once after their loss with the wiiu lol. I also may be in a minority here but if the nest PlayStation was a portable like the switch is then Nintendo would have to come up with a different gimmick to sell their products.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It never ceases to amaze me how many gamers seem to think Sony is a bumbling mess of a company, rather than the efficient, smart company they really are.

Another way people misattribute Microsoft traits and behaviour to Sony, I suppose.

Which is why no sane person should go over to reddit and reset era. Those places are full of arm chair CEO'S

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

This was in concept since 2015.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m just glad the handheld hopium is just that… No way in hell do i want to see Sony split their resources in half to develop for a lower spec machine. That’s a great way to fuck up development pipelines further.

Nintendo surrendered in the home console space to focus on developing for handheld and developing for a single machine is better for all their studios.

This is the same idea as the Wii U tablet. It has a place in single tv households for sure. I never doubted it. It’s a better product with more useful applications than vr2 and its shovelware. Then again… that’s dead and we will most likely not see numbers reported for that flop again.

Would prefer if it wasn’t Wi-Fi but I read it allows you to steam over Wi-Fi like vita did. I knew like one person who used that… seemed neat.

A handheld? Maybe if it was a straight up portable ps4 that just played your entire ps4 catalog and milked cross gen or something.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
What you have said is true. It is a remote play device. I also think if Sony is able to manufacture this device and charge you 200 for it then I believe they can make a true portable device.
They CAN make a nuclear submarine, but just like a dedicated handheld, it would take up resources better and more profitably used elsewhere, and just like a new dedicated handheld system, anyone saying they should do so is an idiot.

The Vita was killed early because developers didn’t have the resources to support the PS4 and the Vita at the same time. If Sony was dumb enough to make a new handheld things would be the same again.

PS_ROCKS

20 May 2023
They CAN make a nuclear submarine, but just like a dedicated handheld, it would take up resources better and more profitably used elsewhere, and just like a new dedicated handheld system, anyone saying they should do so is an idiot.

The Vita was killed early because developers didn’t have the resources to support the PS4 and the Vita at the same time. If Sony was dumb enough to make a new handheld things would be the same again.
I think the only way a handheld device can be successful if Sony decided to make AA games for both handheld and ps5 without making it exclusive to handheld device only and the games should be made towards Japanese audience.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

No they wouldn't be the same, Jesus Christ.

Sony releasing a PS Portable in today's market climate (read: all needed buttons, local storage, PS+ streaming and remote play, no separate library it plays ps4 games/ps5 games either natively or streaming/remote play for ps5), would probably sell more than most competitors. It's our PS libraries we trying to take portable (more portable than Portal), not rebuy on steam or migrate over to steam first customer.

Steam Deck sells cause it just uses PC ports, no one's making "Deck games". Sony are the ones with the console market share, active playerbase market ratio, and people's digital PS3 purchases held hostage, and a slow BC trickle onto the new PS+ streaming, but if they just did it, they'd reap the most rewards than most. They'd fend off competitors in the handheld space and keep rolling along on the console front.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I’m just glad the handheld hopium is just that… No way in hell do i want to see Sony split their resources in half to develop for a lower spec machine. That’s a great way to fuck up development pipelines further.

Nintendo surrendered in the home console space to focus on developing for handheld and developing for a single machine is better for all their studios.

This is the same idea as the Wii U tablet. It has a place in single tv households for sure. I never doubted it. It’s a better product with more useful applications than vr2 and its shovelware. Then again… that’s dead and we will most likely not see numbers reported for that flop again.

Would prefer if it wasn’t Wi-Fi but I read it allows you to steam over Wi-Fi like vita did. I knew like one person who used that… seemed neat.

A handheld? Maybe if it was a straight up portable ps4 that just played your entire ps4 catalog and milked cross gen or something.
It's extra pointless to do this when you can play AAA Playstation games on a Steam Deck. Who would a dedicated portable be for? People who really want to play a AA Horizon spin-off by Lucid Games?

Reactions: Vertigo

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
@Gods&Monsters

What is with the knock thread. Can you summary for me since I don't want to click on that clickbait thread

I think somethinf may have to do revenues after ABK but not so sure.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
@Gods&Monsters

What is with the knock thread. Can you summary for me since I don't want to click on that clickbait thread

I think somethinf may have to do revenues after ABK but not so sure.
Are you talking about the other thread about Sony being in third place? It's about this tweet from Jez Corden.

You can click on it, Jez won't see your username 😅