[PlayStation]The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Honoring the Original

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Even better is that some people claim they didn't have to crunch. It's possible.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
No lol

About half that.

They have a few pairs of directors like Insomniac yeah.

There aren’t really defined “teams” of hundreds of people at any studio.

It’s just a big group of people and they go from game to game as need be.
No. They're over 600 devs check LinkedIn

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Wrong.

Evan Wells said they’re about 300 people last year.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, and Guerrilla are all around 300-400 people.
Then why do Naughty Dog have 698 employees on LinkedIn. 300 coffee makers and janitors? lol

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Then why do Naughty Dog have 698 employees on LinkedIn. 300 coffee makers and janitors? lol
It’s inaccurate.

Many companies numbers are wrong there.

Bungie have like 1100-1200 employees on there. While Sony disclosed Bungie have about 825 employees.

• brain
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Too bad they didn't honor the appearance of one of the 2 main characters.

unknown.png
unknown.png

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Hobbygaming

alphachino

24 Aug 2022

unknown.png
unknown.png
Are Sony the only ones to ever do this? (retconning their main characters' faces?) I remember they did it for infamous, Spider-Man and now TLoU.

Edit: I think Infamous was a different case. They just changed the face of the main character in the sequel, not in a remaster.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Falcs

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

unknown.png
unknown.png
She looked like a 9 year old while the character is between 13 and 14. Now she looks her age. No problems there. Why would you want her to look even younger?

Reactions: kyliethicc

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
She looked like a 9 year old while the character is between 13 and 14. Now she looks her age. No problems there. Why would you want her to look even younger?
She’s actually 14 already in Left Behind when bitten, and almost 15 when Part 1 ends in spring.

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
She looked like a 9 year old while the character is between 13 and 14. Now she looks her age. No problems there.
Does she? This AI disagrees with you. 😂

RDT_20220826_1731456923788073882376610_edit_7030369858011100.jpg

Try Googling what a 9 year old child looks like vs a 14 year old teenager. Original Ellie looked like a teenager, not a 9 year old child.

Why would you want her to look even younger?
Where did I say this? 🤔

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Does she? This AI disagrees with you. 😂

Try Googling what a 9 year old child looks like vs a 14 year old teenager. Original Ellie looked like a teenager, not a 9 year old child.

Where did I say this? 🤔

Contrary to you, I don't need an AI to have an opinion on how old or new someone's face looks. I have eyeballs. I also have younger sisters to actually compare someone's face with. She looked like a cartoonish 9 or 10 year old, now she looks like a realistic 13 or 14 year old and way more like the PT II version of herself. Which is expected, since PT has a different art style and is way more realistic

You also need to understand how AI works - AI is data driven. If you train your AI to recognize every single white guy as the abominable snowmen, or every single women as an attack helicopter, that's what the AI will do. "Age recognition AIs" are fed some data, usually based on real world self reports of people uploading images, and then trains itself based on that data. It won't play well with video games, cartoony characters, or even real life. Some tests below:

OG

bH41awn.png

PT I

S1ytVBi.png

Same like for like scene, very small age gap. She's supposed to be what, 13 or 14 on both? Yeah... And she looks, to my eyes, way younger in OG. The AI thinks the age gap is just less than 10%. I also ran some tests with my own pictures, as well as people close to me.

The same AI It rates me between 31 and 37 years old. I'm 31, and I can look younger than my age. Never has someone told me I look older than I am. But I'll consider those results ballpark accurate. It rates my wife at between 30 and 40. She's 33 and is told often she looks late 20s, but she can pass her age perfectly. She doesn't look 40 in the slightest. My middle sister was rated at 14 years old, and she's 21.

Even with people this AI can throw wild numbers, and it's pretty much a shit AI. Young Nathan Drake is 24, btw.

aJsIgWP.png

So what you proved is that a) you're seeing what you want to see and b) you need to go outside and interact with other human beings. As for real world examples of 13 or 14 year old people, here's a real world example of a random picture from google ran through the same AI.

ZZzEkF4.png

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Contrary to you, I don't need an AI to have an opinion on how old or new someone's face looks. I have eyeballs. I also have younger sisters to actually compare someone's face with. She looked like a cartoonish 9 or 10 year old, now she looks like a realistic 13 or 14 year old and way more like the PT II version of herself. Which is expected, since PT has a different art style and is way more realistic

You also need to understand how AI works - AI is data driven. If you train your AI to recognize every single white guy as the abominable snowmen, or every single women as an attack helicopter, that's what the AI will do. "Age recognition AIs" are fed some data, usually based on real world self reports of people uploading images, and then trains itself based on that data. It won't play well with video games, cartoony characters, or even real life. Some tests below:

OG

bH41awn.png

PT I

S1ytVBi.png

Same like for like scene, very small age gap. She's supposed to be what, 13 or 14 on both? Yeah... And she looks, to my eyes, way younger in OG. The AI thinks the age gap is just less than 10%. I also ran some tests with my own pictures, as well as people close to me.

The same AI It rates me between 31 and 37 years old. I'm 31, and I can look younger than my age. Never has someone told me I look older than I am. But I'll consider those results ballpark accurate. It rates my wife at between 30 and 40. She's 33 and is told often she looks late 20s, but she can pass her age perfectly. She doesn't look 40 in the slightest. My middle sister was rated at 14 years old, and she's 21.

Even with people this AI can throw wild numbers, and it's pretty much a shit AI. Young Nathan Drake is 24, btw.

aJsIgWP.png

So what you proved is that a) you're seeing what you want to see and b) you need to go outside and interact with other human beings. As for real world examples of 13 or 14 year old people, here's a real world example of a random picture from google ran through the same AI.

ZZzEkF4.png

New Ellie looks like a single mom who is finally ready to settle down.

• haha
Reactions: Nym

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
New Ellie looks like a single mom who is finally ready to settle down.

You are a creepy fuck, jesus christ. If you see a child / teen as a single mom looking to settle down please see a psychiatrist, hopefully they haven't run out of straight jackets.

• haha
Reactions: Falcs
27 Aug 2022
It's actually called a straitjacket. TBH any change in a character's appearance in a remake/remaster should be okay to discuss, people don't like change a lot of the time. I'm assuming generally these changes look fine but you can always find an unflattering screenshot.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Falcs and Bryank75

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's actually called a straitjacket. TBH any change in a character's appearance in a remake/remaster should be okay to discuss, people don't like change a lot of the time. I'm assuming generally these changes look fine but you can always find an unflattering screenshot.

Thanks for the correction. And I agree changes to a character's appearance are more than ok to discuss, but bad faith arguments should always be debated and removed from the conversation. I for one am more than happy that PT I is following on PT II footsteps of more realistic character designs. Due to the PS3 limitations, Naughty Dog wasn't able to quite get there (same with Uncharted).

It's also really interesting how they revamped the facial animation system.

• Informative
Reactions: Revived Half Dead

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
You are a creepy fuck, jesus christ. If you see a child / teen as a single mom looking to settle down please see a psychiatrist, hopefully they haven't run out of straight jackets.
Lol! Dude calm down. And don't twist my words. I'm saying she looks old as shit.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
You know, if I actually had the money atm, I would pick this up on Day 1. There's enough work put in to justify it. I might perfer the character visuals of Remastered, but I can objectively see the work that's gone into P1, plus the AI and physics on top etc.

I'm just salty the TOU1 Factions hasn't been blown-out to it's own standalone game and given the Directors Cut treatment. There's maps from main game and left behind dlc that just aren't represented in the MP at all. That fucking sucks. There's game modes you could have added-in after the fact (PvPvInfected, Horde mode), or rulesets you could let the players set in custom lobbies; that the game could have existed, been supported, and been a standard bearer in the face of Division, Destiny, GAAS Seasons like R6 Seize, Battle Royal styled games have taken shape. How perfect can you get than a wall of Infeted spores as your Battle Royal wall? Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner get's a gas mask to survive the spores as winning animation.... To say nothing of the missed opportunties of adapting SOCOM or MAG into these game environments.

I say all that seriously wondering if TLOU Factions Online (does it have a name?) has strayed too far and iterated the old game setup out of existence. Thrown the baby out with the bath water, as they say. It sounds more like some kind of MMO than 4v4 MP skirmishes. Not to mention Sony's track record for dumping MP modes in Remasters, and eventually turning their servers off. I assume there's UC4 MP players out there whom enjoyed UC2 or UC3's MP more? The potential for TLOU1 Factions itself to fall through the cracks is somewhat frightening.