PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
PS Plus prices are rising and users of the service are not happy. With the increase, which will start on September 6th, each tier of PS Plus (Essential, Extra and Deluxe) will go up by over 30% and this has had a negative effect around the world.
Most posts say they will unsubscribe because of the price increase

Many users in the comments section claim to have canceled their PlayStation Plus memberships as a result of the price increase. A number of players mention that they weren’t using PS Plus features anyway, stating that they primarily play single-player titles. A few users also discuss going back to playing single-player games instead of multiplayer titles that are locked behind a subscription.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Mine doesn't expire until next year but I still cancelled and won't be resubscribing. If I need to play online, I'll just buy regular ps plus key from cdkeys for reduced price. Subscription services don't belong in gaming.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
I'm sure they expected this. It won't be enough to make them do anything.
Enough people still stay on. Sony will still get paid.

• sad
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Making the regular online $80 yearly is wild while Xbox is still only $60. They absolutely should've price matched that tier, otherwise you're just asking everyone to go play online games on an Xbox.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Honestly it is Reddit so not really saying much, but yea with strong actions to make Jimbo change course, this shit is unacceptable. Hope they look at quarter numbers down and decides to roll back and offer refunds. Fk u Jimbo

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
This is what I call 'The Big Filter.' Only those who are worth fighting alongside Jim Ryan in the upcoming 'Warz of Warz' shall remain subscribed

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Making the regular online $80 yearly is wild while Xbox is still only $60. They absolutely should've price matched that tier, otherwise you're just asking everyone to go play online games on an Xbox.
I hate the price increase but Sony should block cross play with Xbox and just drive a stake into the heart of that idea.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and KiryuRealty
D

Deleted member 223

They would have to lose about 5 mill subs to really feel it otherwise those that will stay hooked by inertia will make up the difference with the price increase.

Fuck em still.

I personally don't have a problem per say with the increase... if Sony feels that's what they should be charging for the value (games) they're providing that's fine - up to each individual consumer to decide if they want to continue paying for that.

Online pay-walling is my beef and that's where the bullshit is at. Everyone knows it.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
They would have to lose about 5 mill subs to really feel it otherwise those that will stay hooked by inertia will make up the difference with the price increase.

But how many will downgrade to a lower tier? Guess that number is higher than those cancelling completely.

I had a good deal and have a Premium sub until mid 2027 (with auto renewal disabled). I will probably fall back to Essentials and would cancel if backup saves weren't kept behind a paywall (scummiest move).

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Separating online and offline gaming never made much sense, and is really backward thinking in 2023. The idea that Sony can't afford servers and players have to fund the development of PSN is laughable. Also, why don't free to play games require Essentials? Wouldn't it make more sense that a game you paid $70 for can play online than a free one?

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Online pay-walling is my beef and that's where the bullshit is at. Everyone knows it.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I bet if Xbox would not have been such a wet paper bag as a competitor, they would at least consider not paywalling online play. The least they could do is drop the price of the essential tier and cancel any free games for it. Or just make up another tier for online play only and keep essential.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
While I'd like this to be true, you can't go by reddit. PS subs are astroturfed by MS shills. I be the majority of those people don't even play on PS and you can easily check their post history. Either new accounts or only post on Xbox subs until it's time to shill. It's why I stopped going there.

Cancelled mine, for what it's worth.

Reactions: Box

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
I'm cancelling my sub for the time being, but this might as well be countered by the people who are doing the opposite and stacking months before they raise prices 😅

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm cancelling my sub for the time being, but this might as well be countered by the people who are doing the opposite and stacking months before they raise prices 😅

Since Jimbo has shown to be an extremely short sighted CEO, I wouldn't be surprised. They stopped reporting on number of subscribers and I suspect that's related to the planned increase.

There will for sure be a quarter or even yearly increase in revenue, so short term that's great. Long term tough, if they do lose subscribers and the higher entry barrier prevents growth, Jimbo will have to come up with other creative ways to extort gamers. My guess is that he's expecting two or three of their live service games to be popular.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Warzone and Fortnite skate by only requiring a console and internet access while their own games go for full retail price + annual ps plus paywall on top of all that. It’s not good for competition and their own software. That needs to end ASAP.

I don’t mind prices going up. They will always go up. I’d rather just see the f2p BRs get behind the paywall at this point because a reversal on the paywall doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Without the online paywall who gives a shit about getting plus?

Also, PS Stars needs to be rolled into the console interface. I’ve been toying with them lately to redeem for ps monies. Don’t hide it. It’s a fun meta game for decent rewards and a benefit on top of plus discounts on software.

The paywall is mandatory. Those who play online will not cancel. Maybe those who use it only for the monthly “freebies”

Reactions: Box

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I hate the price increase but Sony should block cross play with Xbox and just drive a stake into the heart of that idea.
They cant backpedal now on cross-play, they will piss off both gamers and more importantly developers.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They cant backpedal now on cross-play, they will piss off both gamers and more importantly developers.

Removing cross-play is a terrible idea. You wouldn’t even be able to find lobbies in Battlefield 2042. In fact more lobbies should be console cross-play only with options of removing the pc player pool. Hurting software for console warring would only makes games worse.