PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This massive price hike with zero value added and on top of a terrible month for Plus makes me think Sony is overestimating their brand value way too much.

I don't know if these subscription cancellations are going to hurt Sony at all, but it's definitely going to make me change my subscription.
At this point I'm probably not going to renew my Plus Extra anytime soon (expires in January I think), and if Sony insists on charging so much for online then me and my friends are probably going to change all our multiplayer gaming to the PC.

This move of theirs is also making me look at SIE as kind of an unstable madman, which holds me back from investing into their ecosystem. I had been thinking of buying a PSVR2 and/or a Portal this holiday period, but right now that's completely off the table.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The service won’t be looked at in any distinctly positive light until Sony goes directly at GamePass. They will fold eventually.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The service won’t be looked at in any distinctly positive light until Sony goes directly at GamePass. They will fold eventually.
ronald mcdonald lol GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
I was literally about to sub another year PS+ this month and preorder the Tekken 8 Ultimate Edition on PSN

But it look like i'm changing my plans, not only i won't sub on PS+ever again (at least not at this joke price), but also i won't be getting Tekken 8 on PS5. Most likely PC version or even Xbox if i can get Xbox Live sub for very good deal, it kinda sucks cause i like Dual Sens more than Xbox pad but the PSN+ price is a fucking pure joke forcing to pay 80$ a year just to play online.

They should have at the very least created a new Sub service for 25-30$ for Online only, but nope Sony new heads thinks out of their asses.

It may be the first time ever i'm not buying Tekken on Playstation console. Good job Sony.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I was literally about to sub another year PS+ this month and preorder the Tekken 8 Ultimate Edition on PSN

But it look like i'm changing my plans, not only i won't sub on PS+ever again (at least not at this joke price), but also i won't be getting Tekken 8 on PS5. Most likely PC version or even Xbox if i can get Xbox Live sub for very good deal, it kinda sucks cause i like Dual Sens more than Xbox pad but the PSN+ price is a fucking pure joke forcing to pay 80$ a year just to play online.

They should have at the very least created a new Sub service for 25-30$ for Online only, but nope Sony new heads thinks out of their asses.

It may be the first time ever i'm not buying Tekken on Playstation console. Good job Sony.
what does sony needs to do to justify this price point?

Reactions: SSfox

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People don’t want to admit that sony trying to mimic Xbox’s subscription service is costing an arm and a leg for them and that its not sustainable.

This is what microsoft wanted, for sony to try and match them with a subscription offering and ultimately lose money they don’t have. Now they are jacking up the price to keep up and no one even cares about these games.

Theres a reason nintendo isn’t putting all these games on a monthly service, its crazy expensive and not worth it. I shudder to think how much sony paid ubisoft for all their games to be put on their service

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
People don’t want to admit that sony trying to mimic Xbox’s subscription service is costing an arm and a leg for them and that its not sustainable.

This is what microsoft wanted, for sony to try and match them with a subscription offering and ultimately lose money they don’t have. Now they are jacking up the price to keep up and no one even cares about these games.

Theres a reason nintendo isn’t putting all these games on a monthly service, its crazy expensive and not worth it. I shudder to think how much sony paid ubisoft for all their games to be put on their service
They probably made more profit before the PS Plus revamp even if the revenue went up a lot. Paying all these publishers, some Day 1 + the Essential games must be way more expensive.

At least they are not putting their first-party Day 1 so it's not a black hole like Game Pass.

Getting an Xbox + paying for Xbox live so you can save $20 on PS Plus. That makes sense lol

Just wait for the Black Friday sale and save more than $20. Voila!

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Removing cross-play is a terrible idea. You wouldn’t even be able to find lobbies in Battlefield 2042. In fact more lobbies should be console cross-play only with options of removing the pc player pool. Hurting software for console warring would only makes games worse.
You'd get the same player pool once Xbox is extinguished and those players are forced to play elsewhere.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
what does sony needs to do to justify this price point?
Guess maybe , yes I'm gonna say it: day one exclusives like Xbox or even 6 months to a year. But they do it like you can only play day one exclusives if you have the 1 year sub, won't work if you only buy a month or 2 because that would be very bad for their business obviously.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
They probably made more profit before the PS Plus revamp even if the revenue went up a lot. Paying all these publishers, some Day 1 + the Essential games must be way more expensive.

At least they are not putting their first-party Day 1 so it's not a black hole like Game Pass.

Getting an Xbox + paying for Xbox live so you can save $20 on PS Plus. That makes sense lol

Just wait for the Black Friday sale and save more than $20. Voila!
Are deals this good on black Friday? And is it guaranteed they will make deals on ps+ subs on black Friday?

I don't even know how much cost stuff in Xbox tbh, so yeah if it's just 20$ then it's not worth it lol

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
I'll be downgrading to essential tier but flocking to cancel their subscription is a little bit dramatic don't you think? Good to vote with your wallet but I feel some are doing this to get Internet cred like it's so fucking cool to be angry.

There's always a solution to a problem.
I stack subscriptions during black Friday sales and I buy psn credits at 10-15% discount using vouchers.

At the same time I think the people at Sony who think raising the price by so much suddenly must be dumb asf.

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
Are deals this good on black Friday? And is it guaranteed they will make deals on ps+ subs on black Friday?

I don't even know how much cost stuff in Xbox tbh, so yeah if it's just 20$ then it's not worth it lol

There are always deals on Black Friday. Over here in Singapore, we get 30% off psn plus during Chinese New Year as well. We even got a 10% voucher off any game purchased last year by doing some treasure hunt thing on psn during Chinese New year. I used it to buy street fighter 6 Ultimate Edition.

gtjay1982

26 Jul 2023
Separating online and offline gaming never made much sense, and is really backward thinking in 2023. The idea that Sony can't afford servers and players have to fund the development of PSN is laughable. Also, why don't free to play games require Essentials? Wouldn't it make more sense that a game you paid $70 for can play online than a free one?

No because if you had to use PSplus for F2P games they wouldn’t be free anymore.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Every year they make deals around Black Friday/Christmas and during Days of Play (June). There were also random Cdkeys deals before. I always bought it there and stacked for years. How do you pay for it right now?

GP core is $60 like PS Plus. They might increase it soon, they're closing all the GP loopholes.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Every year they make deals around Black Friday/Christmas and during Days of Play (June). There were also random Cdkeys deals before. I always bought it there and stacked for years. How do you pay for it right now?

GP core is $60 like PS Plus. They might increase it soon, they're closing all the GP loopholes.
Last time I found randomly a good deal 27$/year for essential and bought 2 years.

There are always deals on Black Friday. Over here in Singapore, we get 30% off psn plus during Chinese New Year as well. We even got a 10% voucher off any game purchased last year by doing some treasure hunt thing on psn during Chinese New year. I used it to buy street fighter 6 Ultimate Edition.
Ok I guess I'll wait for Black Friday and see the deals.

• Shake
Reactions: Edmund

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I am extremely annoyed by the increase.

This is exactly what Sony need, a real swift hard kick in the arse!

I want PlayStation to go back to what it was in 2015 and 2016. Jim Ryans PlayStation has disgusted me in many ways.

We deserve better.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Separating online and offline gaming never made much sense, and is really backward thinking in 2023. The idea that Sony can't afford servers and players have to fund the development of PSN is laughable. Also, why don't free to play games require Essentials? Wouldn't it make more sense that a game you paid $70 for can play online than a free one?

F2P games like Fortnite, Apex, Warzone and Overwatch 2 should absolutely be behind the paywall. It’s indefensible to me at this point why those games should have a competitive advantage in both entry cost and continued service vs every other game on the market.

Reactions: Box

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Last time I found randomly a good deal 27$/year for essential and bought 2 years.
You must be talking of the CDkeys deal. I literally stacked 5 years at that price but that was before the revamp so I'm not sure these deals are coming back 😥

• thinking_hard