[PS1] The generation defining games?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Hello everybody.

I'm asking the thread title question mainly because of this

So what are for you the most generation defining games of the very first PlayStation?

Reactions: Kokoloko

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Wwf Smackdown 2 - even non wrestling fans played that after school and beat the shit out of each other

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Games that made PS popular:
Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 1-2, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3, Crash series, Tomb Raider series. Did a miss a title as popular as these?

Personal Favourites: MGS, RE2, FF9, Tekken 3, Suikoden 2, Grandia, Ridge Racer Type 4. CastleVania SOTN, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Persona.

24 Jun 2022
Nothing to really add since everyone else listed the main games. But I'd also add Ridge Racer, Wipeout, and Toshinden into that pile. You can't underestimate the impact those games had for PS1's early successes. Ridge Racer was basically the perfect graphical showcase at launch. Toshinden out-flashed Virtua Fighter. Wipeout defined the coolness and style PS1 would become associated with in gaming.

However a lot of my personal favorites have ended up being smaller, more niche games, particularly those that have finally gotten English translations. Tomba 1 & 2, Klonoa, UmJammer Lammy, Ridge Racer 4, Galerians etc. They aren't the popular picks but they're some of my faves. And oddities like Planet Laika join them.

D

Deleted member 417

Syndicate wars
Broken Sword
Resident Evil
Legacy of Kain
Medievil
Twisted Metal
Demolition Derby
King's Field

Reactions: arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nothing to really add since everyone else listed the main games. But I'd also add Ridge Racer, Wipeout, and Toshinden into that pile. You can't underestimate the impact those games had for PS1's early successes. Ridge Racer was basically the perfect graphical showcase at launch. Toshinden out-flashed Virtua Fighter. Wipeout defined the coolness and style PS1 would become associated with in gaming.

However a lot of my personal favorites have ended up being smaller, more niche games, particularly those that have finally gotten English translations. Tomba 1 & 2, Klonoa, UmJammer Lammy, Ridge Racer 4, Galerians etc. They aren't the popular picks but they're some of my faves. And oddities like Planet Laika join them.
Yeah Id say Wipeout and Ridge Racer are pretty iconic for PS1

Reactions: arvfab