PS5 Exclusives Will Take at Least One Year to Launch on PC

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Hermen Hulst has been discussing its release strategy moving forwards. Specifically, he mentioned that there’ll be “at least a year” between its single player titles launching on PS5 and PC, but in some cases its live service titles – of which over 12 are in development – will be day-and-date.

“I think going forward we’ll see at least a year between releases on our own platform, PlayStation, and on the PC platform – possibly with the exception of live service games,” he told French journalist Julien Chièze. “Live service games are a little bit different in nature because you want to have strong community and strong engagement. So we might, in the case of our live service games, go day-and-date with PC and the PlayStation platform.”

While none of this is especially surprising, it will continue to be a divisive strategy among PlayStation enthusiasts. Sony is claiming that it can get a bigger return on its investment and actually grow its brands by releasing them on PC, while others argue it’s watering down the importance of its own ecosystem, which has historically been sold on the strength of its exclusives.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Either way PC won out of this arrangement. We're getting basically everything from everywhere. I don't care if the platform can cost you $3,000, the value proposition is unmatched.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51
D

Deleted member 51

Either way PC won out of this arrangement. We're getting basically everything from everywhere. I don't care if the platform can cost you $3,000, the value proposition is unmatched.
Just you wait for the people to storm your notifications with the, "PC costs more", bullshit. So what? I'm getting a better experience

• haha
Reactions: PlacidusaX

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Just you wait for the people to storm your notifications with the, "PC costs more", bullshit. So what? I'm getting a better experience
Cost be damned. I'm getting my experience, their experience, your experience, and everything in between on one platform.

P

peter42O

The live service games being day one on PC makes sense since Sony would want the biggest player base for the games as possible.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What he exactly said is this:

"I THINK (meaning he isn't sure or still isn't completely decided) going forward we'll see AT LEAST (meaning that at least some or most will take more time) a year between releases on own platform PlayStatation and on the PC platform. POSSIBLY (meaning that may not be the case) with the EXCEPTION (highlighting that it would be on rare cases) of the live service games (so live service games may not be an exception and would also release AT LEAST one year on PC after doing so on PS). Live service games are a bit different in nature because you want to have really strong community engagement right away, right when you go live. So we MIGHT (so maybe they don't do it, or not for all cases), in the case of live service offerins go day and date with PC and the PS platform."

The live service games being day one on PC makes sense since Sony would want the biggest player base for the games as possible.
Yes, but not all of them will be ported to pc and the not all the ported ones will be day one. One that may end be ported and released day one would be future MLB games. One that could end -or not- ported and released time later after launch could be Gran Turismo 7.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As long as it’s a porting studio and not the main devs trying to create multi sku
They said that their main studios will focus on PS will they'll have other studios to make the PC ports, which matches what they did until now and having bought Nixxes mentioning that this will be their main role.

But welll, games are also developed in PCs and the current consoles are very similar to PCs, so even games not intended to be released on PC get a PC sku even if it's for internal testing while developing the game. I assume when later other team ports it to PC basically they do extra stuff like keyboard and mouse controls, multi screen/ultrawide support, extra settings to allow a bigger scaling of supported hardware, PC specific hardware implementation of different things etc. A work that I assume once it's implemented for a game most of that code remains in their game engine and gets reused in future games, requiring less effort and work for a port.

• haha

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
I don't care if the platform can cost you $3,000,
it can, but it can also cost you 800. thats how much i paid for mine, and it gets even cheaper when you consider how much cheaper the GPU i bought is these days (i got my 6650xt for 400 dollars, you can find those bad boys for half that now. hell if you want better performance than that a used 6700xt is 300 dollars now...)

honestly unless you're some omega enthusiast you should be spending around 500-900 for a PC, 700 being the sweet spot. AMD gpus are so cheap and so good these days its a no brainer. now, whether your PC will compare to the PS5 and Series X is another thing entirely but i think you'll be able to run most games well enough

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They said that their main studios will focus on PS will they'll have other studios to make the PC ports, which matches what they did until now and having bought Nixxes mentioning that this will be their main role.

But welll, games are also developed in PCs and the current consoles are very similar to PCs, so even games not intended to be released on PC get a PC sku even if it's for internal testing while developing the game. I assume when later other team ports it to PC basically they do extra stuff like keyboard and mouse controls, multi screen/ultrawide support, extra settings to allow a bigger scaling of supported hardware, PC specific hardware implementation of different things etc. A work that I assume once it's implemented for a game most of that code remains in their game engine and gets reused in future games, requiring less effort and work for a port.
Using the pc as a dev tool is not related to pc as a dev target. Developing PS5 uses completely different gfx api’s and dev kit is leveraging fixed PlayStation hardware.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Using the pc as a dev tool is not related to pc as a dev target. Developing PS5 uses completely different gfx api’s and dev kit is leveraging fixed PlayStation hardware.
True. But to test the game in the early stages and iterate gameplay and mechanics they can do it -and in fact do it- with awful visuals, no need to be using the latest API stuff, RT etc. Some untextured stuff without lighting is ok for them.

When I say that they test the game in the computer I don't mean having an almost final build of the game with all the visual stuff etc. I mean that they do a PC build to be able to run the game and test it in a PC even if without all the PC specific stuff/witout some of the visual tech stuff/etc. Just whatever is needed to test what they are doing specially in the earlier stages in the game.

Once they are approaching the final stages and they have to implement console specific stuff, optimize, find console specific bugs etc. then they use devkits and test kits to do the job.

These internal build they have that are playable on PC are far from being a final, commercial PC build. It doesn't have stuff like pc specific RT, optimized shader stuff, dlss and other pc specific techs, control methods, gpu specific bugfixes, etc. But it's a working build on PC with a good amount of work already done.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
True. But to test the game in the early stages and iterate gameplay and mechanics they can do it -and in fact do it- with awful visuals, no need to be using the latest API stuff, RT etc. Some untextured stuff without lighting is ok for them.

When I say that they test the game in the computer I don't mean having an almost final build of the game with all the visual stuff etc. I mean that they do a PC build to be able to run the game and test it in a PC even if without all the PC specific stuff/witout some of the visual tech stuff/etc. Just whatever is needed to test what they are doing specially in the earlier stages in the game.

Once they are approaching the final stages and they have to implement console specific stuff, optimize, find console specific bugs etc. then they use devkits and test kits to do the job.

These internal build they have that are playable on PC are far from being a final, commercial PC build. It doesn't have stuff like pc specific RT, optimized shader stuff, dlss and other pc specific techs, control methods, gpu specific bugfixes, etc. But it's a working build on PC with a good amount of work already done.
With most engines, there's no point to testing before you get to the platform-specific stuff, as the engine is not being stressed and there wouldn't be significant differences in code operation between platforms at that point in the process. It is the platform-specific stuff that creates the issues.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With most engines, there's no point to testing before you get to the platform-specific stuff,
Since the first day a programmer starts to program something they test themselves what they do. Same goes with level designers, they test everything what they do just after doing it. Same goes with designers when some mechanic or something they designed has been implemented, they test it. Same goes with UI/UX folks etc.

Builds are also often also played by producers/directors/leads/etc frequently, often weekly or biweekly to analize the tasks done and progress made during that 'sprint' (mini milestone of a week or two). Even sometimes Q&A folks also play these early builds to provide extra feedback.

This happens because it's better to detect potential changes or stuff that needs to be dropped or iterated as soon as possible, in order to reduce the amount of work thrown to the garbage bin when these things happens.

As a simple example: if the level design of a level needs to be changed, it's better to do it when it only consists of a few grey boxes and not when environment artists spent months to make that level look great. Or if a gameplay mechanic needs to be changed or removed it's better to do it before they didn't design (and obviously implemented) hours of gameplay of levels and puzzles designed to use it.

So developers test stuff constantly when developing their games in their own computer even in very early stages. In fact, they need specially to test what they implemented just after having made it, specially even before sharing it with the rest of the team.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Since the first day a programmer starts to program something they test themselves what they do. Same goes with level designers, they test everything what they do just after doing it. Same goes with designers when some mechanic or something they designed has been implemented, they test it. Same goes with UI/UX folks etc.

Builds are also often also played by producers/directors/leads/etc frequently, often weekly or biweekly to analize the tasks done and progress made during that 'sprint' (mini milestone of a week or two). Even sometimes Q&A folks also play these early builds to provide extra feedback.

This happens because it's better to detect potential changes or stuff that needs to be dropped or iterated as soon as possible, in order to reduce the amount of work thrown to the garbage bin when these things happens.

As a simple example: if the level design of a level needs to be changed, it's better to do it when it only consists of a few grey boxes and not when environment artists spent months to make that level look great. Or if a gameplay mechanic needs to be changed or removed it's better to do it before they didn't design (and obviously implemented) hours of gameplay of levels and puzzles designed to use it.

So developers test stuff constantly when developing their games in their own computer even in very early stages. In fact, they need specially to test what they implemented just after having made it, specially even before sharing it with the rest of the team.
And the base build only needs to be tested on the build platform, not all eventual release platforms. That kind of function testing is part of the initial process, and doesn't go past what the engine can support without platform-specific tweaking. Thanks for assuming I know less than you!

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And the base build only needs to be tested on the build platform, not all eventual release platforms. That kind of function testing is part of the initial process, and doesn't go past what the engine can support without platform-specific tweaking. Thanks for assuming I know less than you!
Yes, but what I meant when replying to your "With most engines, there's no point to testing before you get to the platform-specific stuff" sentence is that before the point you mention testing (even if not only from the QA/testers team, they have a small role in this early stage) is also constantly needed, even in the earliest, simplest and ugliest prototypes.

To see if each mechanic or any other stuff they develop at this point work, if people undestand them, if they combine well with other stuff, if the game feels good and fun, etc. Basically, I meant that who implements something tests if it works just after developing it. And typically also their department lead, the designer who designed it and depending on the case also the producer/director/etc. And sometimes also 'external' people like Q&A folks to get early player feedback.

And well, I also meant that all this early testing typically is done in the development PCs, often without needing to compile and export a new PC(or console) build unless they want to test it in a separate computer as it would be to do it in a meeting room: they test most of this stuff in the same game engine tool they use to develop the game.

Last edited: