PS5 Fans Beg Sony for a More Fulfilling Livestream in the Aftermath of Xbox Show

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
ps5-fans-beg-sony-for-a-more-fulfilling-livestream-in-the-aftermath-of-xbox-show-1.large.jpg

Whatever your opinion of the content, today’s Xbox Showcase felt more like an E3 press conference of old. Ever since the pandemic, and the untimely demise of the Los Angeles convention, livestreams on that kind of scale have been few and far between. Last year, Sony hosted a PS Showcase, but it lacked the clout and confidence of an old PlayStation presser; a little over a week ago, it settled for a simple State of Play, which we already argued wasn’t really fulfilling fans who wait all year for these kind of marketing blowouts. Perhaps unsurprisingly, PlayStation’s social media is already being peppered by disgruntled fans, desperate for the format holder to step up its livestream game. “I hope you watched the showcase,” one fan wrote. “This is what we want.” Another added: “Bring us a showcase this good.” One more simply settled for: “Learn from [the] Xbox Showcase, Sony.”
Of course, this is the kind of overly reactive silliness that we’ve come to expect from social media, but it does present questions for PlayStation as it pushes forward deeper into the generation. Sony has, in recent years, changed its strategy to focus on imminent releases: its big games from the recent State of Play, the likes of Concord and Astro Bot, are due out within three months. LEGO Horizon Adventures and Until Dawn don’t currently have dates, but aren’t expected to be too far behind.

Microsoft, on the other hand, spent a lot of time re-treading old ground today: Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, and more were all first revealed several years ago; Gears of War: E-Day, the big closing reveal, will likely show up at several more shows.

Sony, in the past, was criticised heavily for revealing games too early into development; now it finds itself underfire for not following that same philosophy. It’s a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t, then – but ultimately, as we noted, the reception doesn’t lie. PlayStation hasn’t put together a universally praised presentation for quite a while, and at some point, that will need to change.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
how do you know?
When I used to visit that (trash) website regularly a few years back, nearly 90% of the negative/click-bait articles were made by him.
If it's "good news", he or his goon colleagues will leave one final paragraph talking about something bad (which often is about something old).

Did I forget to mention they rely heavily on click-bait, like a typical Youtuber?

CHILEANPLAYER

6 May 2024
For now the brand is doing well, the first six months of 2024 have been very good. What must happen is that the September showcase (if there is one) must be an epic showcase, basically the 30-year PlayStation showcase, where they must show us what the flagship studios are working on and what has brought PlayStation to where it is.
Anyway, expectant about the future of the brand and above all, the new PS5 Pro along with the improvement that many games could get

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sammy Barker is a resetera poster and he writes these anti-Sony articles regularly.

Sometimes his forum posts makes sense but better to ignore his articles. The agenda is obvious 😬

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
two comments?....But sure. This is what "competition" brings, right? To me Sony´s ultimatum is their Next Showcase/PS5 Pro reveal.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sammy Barker is a resetera poster and he writes these anti-Sony articles regularly.

Sometimes his forum posts makes sense but better to ignore his articles. The agenda is obvious 😬
What's wrong in what he said here?

Sony have chosen these short term marketing cycles because their devs decide marketing now. The trade off is we get shit State of Plays and Showcases now and blind if there is anything exciting on the horizon

Nobody was complaining about being excited for a showcase before

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
two comments?....But sure. This is what "competition" brings, right? To me Sony´s ultimatum is their Next Showcase/PS5 Pro reveal.
"Good o'l" Sammy-boy. Just scrapping what ever he can to get get the outrage/hate mob to visit his sh**ty website.
I'm sure he will find a way to stretch the "outrage" into 2-3 more articles.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Too much time has passed with these Sony shitty shows, it's clearly on purpose and they just don't see any value in it.

It makes no sense to me but it is what it is. Any other company would see these interest and passion people have for their platform as something valuable, they don't, to them it's just a nuisance and something that gets in the way of them just doing whatever they want whenever they want without having to deal with any expectations.

Up to the PS4 Sony clearly had a unique vision for games as a form of entertainment for adults that had genuine value, now they see it as a way to milk people with low self control for safe recurrent returns without having to invest or risk much.

They don't put any culture in their products anymore, they've become just like MS. That is how abominations like Concord and Fairgame$ are created.

September maybe?
How about never?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Shmunter

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Ah the narrative and media push is in full effect. The Xbox showcase was good but it didn't leave me mad at Sony 🤣.

But there's an orchestrated media narrative being pushed around this showcase.

But again, just goes to show how WEAK PlayStation currently is. They've lost control of every single narrative. Never thought I'd see the day their showcases are being jeered.