PS5 Firmware

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
When are we going to get an update that adds a proper web browser it's such a simple feature why's it missing , would also like the option to batch check all games for updates & would be cool if we could have some options for the system music aswell as maybe an option to have the start up screen as one of the older ps ones (like when you start up your ps5 it does the iconic ps1 logo & noise) oh & being able to change the colour of the light bar on the console... Lots of stuff I want shame there's no way to request this stuff from playstation

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
A web browser is not a "simple feature". It's an incredibly complex feature, and it's a huge attack surface for compromising system security. Sony was pretty aggressive in supporting web browsing on PS4, PS3, PSP, Vita until they saw how many exploits relied on it.

OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
A web browser is not a "simple feature". It's an incredibly complex feature, and it's a huge attack surface for compromising system security. Sony was pretty aggressive in supporting web browsing on PS4, PS3, PSP, Vita until they saw how many exploits relied on it.
It already has a web browser it uses to open links in games & in messages it's just not properly accessible, there's literally an option in the system settings that says 'web broswer' for erasing cookies & turning off website tracking 🤣

Reactions: Kokoloko

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why do you even want a web browser on the ps5? Just play games or watch movies

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We don't need a PC.
We only needs a gaming machine.

Features unrelated to gaming I really don't want in PS ecosystem.

When I say make my gaming life better it is not about having a web browser, file explorer or text editor in my console at all.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Okay so you can still use it even when it's not an official app which proves my point it's pointless not having it officially when it can be used anyway , I don't know why everyone on here is so against people having optional features 🤣
just saying this is why I think Sony doesn't do it. i'm not against a web browser (also not against exploits). could be useful for geforce now.

OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
just saying this is why I think Sony doesn't do it. i'm not against a web browser (also not against exploits). could be useful for geforce now.
It more than likely is but I dont think Xbox has ever been jailbroken via its web browser makes you wonder why is it because PlayStations OS is Linux based so it's easier to get kernal access who knows 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
When are we going to get an update that adds a proper web browser it's such a simple feature why's it missing , would also like the option to batch check all games for updates & would be cool if we could have some options for the system music aswell as maybe an option to have the start up screen as one of the older ps ones (like when you start up your ps5 it does the iconic ps1 logo & noise) oh & being able to change the colour of the light bar on the console... Lots of stuff I want shame there's no way to request this stuff from playstation
They purposely didn't include an accessible browser.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It more than likely is but I dont think Xbox has ever been jailbroken via its web browser makes you wonder why is it because PlayStations OS is Linux based so it's easier to get kernal access who knows 🤷‍♂️
It's BSD based actually
Linux based meaning source code has to be public.

The other box using Windows through virtualization, meaning the system is running on a virtualized layer itself, so payload through browser cannot reach the kernel.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly