PS5 games continue to dominate the UK charts

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I really did think FFXVI would have similar legs to other sony first party titles. I wonder what the issue is

When new IP like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon are just greatly outselling FF, there is definitely a problem and its not because its exclusive because playstation games are selling like hotcake.

I won’t be surprised if Rise of The Ronin outsells it also

Maybe SE needs to take a lesson from Larian Studios and stick to it’s roots.

Final Fantasy 16 is a great game but barely an RPG. Neither would I consider it a Final Fantasy.

Reminds me so much of RE4. Another great game but barely a survival horror. Neither is it a Resident Evil.

You could say the same for MGS5.

Just my personal opinion.

Japanese publishers need to realise what made their respective games so popular in the first place rather than trying to cater to a wider casual market.

They actually believe they will increase sales this way. In reality you lose loyal fans to these franchises.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
FF16.. damn. Is that falloff normal for SquareEnix or FF?

How did FF7R do in the UK, or rather, how long was it in the top 10 for?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I really did think FFXVI would have similar legs to other sony first party titles. I wonder what the issue is

When new IP like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon are just greatly outselling FF, there is definitely a problem and its not because its exclusive because playstation games are selling like hotcake.

I won’t be surprised if Rise of The Ronin outsells it also
Because it was obvious to anyone not In a bubble this game was alienating a good chunk of their traditional base. You don't make such a drastic change and not think you're not gonna turn away many fans.

Coupled with Mediocre marketing and Sony going soft with Bundles

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Because it was obvious to anyone not In a bubble this game was alienating a good chunk of their traditional base. You don't make such a drastic change and not think you're not gonna turn away many fans.

Coupled with Mediocre marketing and Sony going soft with Bundles
I believe FFXV had way more impact on that than just alienating their tradicional base.

For the same reason I believe FFXVII will have better numbers than FFXVI (because it left a good impression).

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Agree.

This is more a case of people buying these games after purchasing a PS5 which is on discount.
The point is people don't buy those specific games at random (mostly)... Otherwise random games would end up in the top lists all the time.

This is also why GTA V and Minecraft are there (unbelievably long legs in these cases).

Reactions: Muddasar

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I believe FFXV had way more impact on that than just alienating their tradicional base.

For the same reason I believe FFXVII will have better numbers than FFXVI (because it left a good impression).
We can Blame FFXV only to an extent. A game like FFXV would still do better than FF XVI today. It is a drastic departure for the series. A more traditional approach would have went over better but either way... It's up to Sony and Sqaure to now push the product. Some DLC, Action challenges would help. They can still bundle it black Friday or Xmas too plus small price cuts occasionally... All up to them.