Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Sony confirmed that in 2022, all their models are selling at a profit. So it would be common to assume that they would sell their new revision at lower costs, probably below 350 USD.
They make more disc units because people prefer them and it also more profitable.

Disc drive costs like 20-30 USD. So probably somewhere 50-100 USD is plausible, 100 USD to phase out physical copies attachment as consumers move to digital, but they could go with 50 USD.
Beyond that is ridiculous.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That would make them lose more money on services. Like use your common sense for a bit, they are pushing new revision to lower price, to a point where they can break even when they sell at lower costs, they are not dumb to push to pricings increase for "inferior" products, that would be a suicide move.

They are not using Nintendo model, make profit on consoles. At the end of the day, services make much more money than consoles sale for PS.
Sony confirmed that in 2022, all their models are selling at a profit. So it would be common to assume that they would sell their new revision at lower costs, probably below 350 USD.
They make more disc units because people prefer them and it also more profitable.

Disc drive costs like 20-30 USD. So probably somewhere 50-100 USD is plausible, 100 USD to phase out physical copies attachment as consumers move to digital, but they could go with 50 USD.
Beyond that is ridiculous.
Are you sure that Sony said this in 2022? As I remember who said it was Totoki from Bloomberg (so may be wrong, Bloomberg lied about Sony multiple times) in 2021 talking about the disk drive SKU and almost the diskless one https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609150/sony-playstation-5-ps5-loss-profit

But since then the cost skyrocketed: big inflation, components highly increased with shortages caused by covid, also highly increased the prices of fuel so highly increased shipments. So pretty likely now it's being sold at a loss even if they had to increase the prices.

So I think that even if the new SKU is cheaper to make, it may even be sold at a loss or at a minimal profit while being sold at the current pricing. So I think the new SKUs will have the same pricing as of now.

It is not the same case than in previous generations when the prices kept decreasing, this time at some point kept increasing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
When your competitor is selling potato-tier hardware for 349, there's no need for them to go lower than 399.

OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Are you sure that Sony said this in 2022? As I remember who said it was Totoki from Bloomberg (so may be wrong, Bloomberg lied about Sony multiple times) in 2021 talking about the disk drive SKU and almost the diskless one https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609150/sony-playstation-5-ps5-loss-profit

But since then the cost skyrocketed: big inflation, components highly increased with shortages caused by covid, also highly increased the prices of fuel so highly increased shipments. So pretty likely now it's being sold at a loss even if they had to increase the prices.

So I think that even if the new SKU is cheaper to make, it may even be sold at a loss or at a minimal profit while being sold at the current pricing. So I think the new SKUs will have the same pricing as of now.

It is not the same case than in previous generations when the prices kept decreasing, this time at some point kept increasing.
I don't know man, logistics has mostly been fixed since 2022 thanks lower oil price thanks because OPECs increases production. TSMC production increases, all their fabs at max production. Memory chips cost are at all times low due to low demand.

Lower node 4-5nm should allow them to cut heatsinks and save more cost.

If shit are so high off fans they should just, well, sticked with production and only using smaller node for chips.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It won't happen, but what if the add-on has PS3 hardware to allow to play there locally PS3 games, and on top of it also PS1 and PS2 disk? That would be awesome.

But well, the chances are almost zero. In fact, maybe there isn't even a detachable disk drive.