PS5 Price increase in Japan has made Xbox Series console sales shot up

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
GWIRYfyWwAANwx9

GWIRzJbXoAADjeq

PS5 now cost near 80,000 yen vs Series X 67,000 yen.

at Yodobashi, one of Japan’s biggest electronics retailers, Xbox Series X console shot up to number 8 in the games and consoles sales chart on the morning of August 29
Source

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel
11 Jul 2024
Just a reminder that the Series console shot up in price first and that was when they were not selling at all. I wouldn't worry if I were Sony.
I can also see the base PS5 dropping in price with the PS5 Pro in the market and around the time the Switch 2 will release.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Still think even through the price increase is to combat the decreasing of the Yen and a couple other factors specific to Japan market. They need to not do this, and just eat it in that region. Since Sony is a Japanese company they should say "fuck it" lets eat it in our country to maximize users.

There should be something of honor thing for people buying in their own country. From what I know Asian markets want PS5 like crazy, and they have a scalping issue hence the increase in price on top of the Yen being incredibly weak.

It sold out in China already and people in Japan buy PS5's just to ship them to China. I do wonder if Sony will launch the rumored hand held in Japan first? Thats what I would do.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sony have really let greed and shareholder focus hurt things.

Just when they seem to get a little momentum, it's like the executives decide to do something really negative and money-grubbing.
It’s obvious that you don’t understand that the Japanese economy and the yen in down.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Still think even through the price increase is to combat the decreasing of the Yen and a couple other factors specific to Japan market. They need to not do this, and just eat it in that region. Since Sony is a Japanese company they should say "fuck it" lets eat it in our country to maximize users.

There should be something of honor thing for people buying in their own country. From what I know Asian markets want PS5 like crazy, and they have a scalping issue hence the increase in price on top of the Yen being incredibly weak.

It sold out in China already and people in Japan buy PS5's just to ship them to China. I do wonder if Sony will launch the rumored hand held in Japan first? Thats what I would do.
It’s obvious you don’t understand economics. Lol Well, most gamers don’t.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Oh then enlighten us great Nash Jr of the current times, no one is questioning that the yen is tanking, they are questioning Sony's short sighted decision of increasing prices for short term profit instead of riding out the current tumultuous economic conditions, They have cash on hand and are not running in the red.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Just a reminder that the Series console shot up in price first and that was when they were not selling at all. I wouldn't worry if I were Sony.
I can also see the base PS5 dropping in price with the PS5 Pro in the market and around the time the Switch 2 will release.
it won't drop in price, if it were to have a price drop they wouldn't be raising the prices just 2 months before the Pro launches, PS5 Pro will be 600 digital / 650 disc and the standard model will continue to be 450/500, console prices are no longer being subsidized, PS6 will launch at $600 and PS5 Pro will make it a normal price for consoles, long are the days of buying a PlayStation console for $299

• sad
Reactions: toadsage44

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
people believing in price drops for the standard model are out of their minds, the digital model raised its price from $399 to $449 after the release of the Slim, which was a cheap ass version of the original PS5 with not even a vertical stand included, if they raised the price even after cheapening the hardware, it signals you won't see price drops this gen, price drops were always a thing once slim models were released, it's been a year since PS5 Slim was released and NO PRICE DROPS at all, i've been telling people here for months that moving forward prices for consoles will no longer be subsidized and that's the biggest reason why i say PC ports will be the long term death of PlayStation consoles.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I'm literally just giving antidotal, im one of the few on the last couple of threads literally bringing up whats happening in Japan with the scalpers, Decreasing of the Yen since 2020, on top of their stock market being in free fall last month because of such Yen decline.

Logistics has a lot to do with it too with whats going on with tariffs and certain blocks US has put on China, which also Japan is trying to also adhear to. Nvidia has found loop holes for GPU sales. So havn't independent scalping groups/Business's.

But please enlighten us. I was just giving my two cents to what Sony has been doing to combat inflation of the YEN on top of global prices for fuel which affects freight greatly specifically for a large console where it takes up a lot of space on a crate. There for to ship large amounts is expensive.

Playstation was the only one using Cargo planes with covid restrictions were in play for boats in US.

But please take my one pie in the sky remark as gospel and ignore everything else I said.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It's been dead since PS3. People need to let it go, We're lucky Japanese creators have a global audience.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I do, I know there are issues with interest but if the competition can still sell so much below you... It's still an issue.

I wonder if thats more of Microsoft is willing to take a larger hit? But would not doubt another price increase from them might be on the way.

Reactions: Bryank75