PS5 Price increase in Japan has made Xbox Series console sales shot up

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's been dead since PS3. People need to let it go, We're lucky Japanese creators have a global audience.

Even with its current price, its size being an issue in Japan PS5 is outpacing PS4 by a large margin. PS4 sold a little over 9 million throughout the gen. We are at like 7 Million PS5's and were only halfway?

To me thats a sign of people still interested in Playstation. I think Sony see;s that maybe they can make a handheld that would do well in Japan. But their console is not dead.

It's steady. Just home consoles are not what they use to be in Japan. Handhelds, and mobile is where a lot of people game over there. China and Korean developers though have up'ed the game and are making console titles that draw huge player numbers.

So I think thats where Sony see's where they can still be viable as a desirable console in Japan by aligning themselves with ShiftUp, Game science among others.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
In all honesty, Xbox Series X/S is dead in Japan while PlayStation 5 will sell around 10m+ units like it did with PlayStation 4. With that said, I believe that both Microsoft and Sony will have native handheld/portable systems along side their next console in Fall 2026 and Fall 2028 respectively. I believe that they shouldn't and will not sell the actual console in Japan but only the handhelds instead which would make a lot more sense and sell a shit ton more especially since the retail price would be cheaper than the consoles would be.

• brain
Reactions: Papacheeks

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It’s obvious that you don’t understand that the Japanese economy and the yen in down.
Funny how they increased PS+ prices as well yet somehow these increases can't offset anything for them... Makes one go... HMMMM 💭💭💭

Reactions: toadsage44

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
In all honesty, Xbox Series X/S is dead in Japan while PlayStation 5 will sell around 10m+ units like it did with PlayStation 4. With that said, I believe that both Microsoft and Sony will have native handheld/portable systems along side their next console in Fall 2026 and Fall 2028 respectively. I believe that they shouldn't and will not sell the actual console in Japan but only the handhelds instead which would make a lot more sense and sell a shit ton more especially since the retail price would be cheaper than the consoles would be.
Ironically Japan is the market they have seen growth this gen

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I think Sony will still sell the console in Japan. But at limited supply and may promote their handheld more. But this all is contingent on how new developers from Korea, and China pan out for big games.

Black myth wukong is a sign, I think if there's another big game that Japan is interested in then I think Sony does a new plan in how the promote the brand in Japan.

Going to be interesting how this unfolds the next couple years.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Wait so the PS5 disc version was the single highest selling console SKU?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS5 should be able to finish the year around 1.3 million give or take... Not great but also pretty good assuming the price won't have a severe impact going forward

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Even with its current price, its size being an issue in Japan PS5 is outpacing PS4 by a large margin. PS4 sold a little over 9 million throughout the gen. We are at like 7 Million PS5's and were only halfway?
Stop it. Art Vandelay buying a bunch of consoles in Japan and then shipping them somewhere else obviously does not count.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
But it looks like Sony's stock went up around 5% just after PS5 price hike in Japan
Exactly, that's what they're chasing.

It always comes down again for one reason or another though. It's a long-term price increase for customers for a short-term increase in share price IMO

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This is some serious reality buffing. The PS5 isn't outpacing the PS4 by a huge amount anymore and it will more than likely fall behind next year. The PS5 is approaching 6 million sold maybe next week or week after next id assume.