PS5 Pro codenamed ‘PROJECT TRINITY’ details and release date

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

If you think the codename has some form of familiarity, you’re right. Sony has used The Matrix codenames in the past, with the PlayStation 4 Pro under the codename ‘Neo’ and PlayStation VR under ‘Morpheus’.

It’s understood that Trinity has been in development since early 2022, with sources citing that although the rumours of a canceled PlayStation 5 Pro project are always “fun to read”, Trinity has been the only project in the works for the Pro model. Despite dates being tentative, it’s understood that demo events for the PS5 Pro are already ongoing, with the majority of studios receiving development kits by late November 2023.

Although the Pro’s specs were difficult to pin down, admittingly due to my lack of technological prowess, sources have stated that Trinity with have 30 WGP and 18000mts memory.

As for the consoles performance targets and as to be expected, the PlayStation 5 Pro will be targeting improved and consistent FPS at 4K resolution, a new ‘performance mode’ for 8K resolution, and accelerated ray tracing.

Whether or not a PlayStation 5 Pro console is desired enough in the current market remains to be seen, but as of writing, the PlayStation 5 Pro is in development and is targeting a November 2024 release date.

Trinity appears to be PlayStation’s last bits of major hardware for this generation and after reporting on almost everything from the DualSense Edge Controller (via Try Hard Guides), to Project Q and PlayStation’s new wireless earbuds (via Insider Gaming), the next time you hear on a PlayStation hardware report from me will likely be on the PlayStation 6 – Which is currently targeting a 2028 release date.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nov 2024 is more reasonable than 2023. I still think a Pro model is unnecessary this generation. Also alarming they're not emphasizing VR as a motivation, which would most benefit from the hardware.

Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have never seen these acronyms, that reads like a joke to me.

Up until now I didn’t know RDNA 3 CUs were organized in “Work Group Processors”, or that “Mega Transfers per Second” was standard for memory speed.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They should cut the crap with those 8k claims. It makes it sound like a joke. Just focus on 4k gaming at most.
Marketing buzzwords.

This probably got leaked from a shareholders report, detailing hardware components listed and what purpose of the hardwares. Those old men at the office aren't tech savvy, if you replace an 4K with 8K they gonna understand.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Associating it with 8K is terrible marketing and will actually result in less sales. People will just jump to the conclusion that since they don't have an 8K TV they won't benefit from it.

They don't need to get technical with this one, it has to be all about sending the message that your games will look better and will run better and that it's a premium device. Depending on specs they need to promote it with claims like "x times more powerful!", "faster/more memory", "more storage", etc, it doesn't matter if people actually understand the details or not.

There is a lot to learn from the way MS market their consoles, regardless of the commercial failure, the narrative that the Series X is much stronger actually stuck regardless of it's inability to live up to that. Same goes for the narrative that the Series S is good value, despite the fact that it has all time awful value for a console.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Bet they are going with the 8k push. 8k tvs are getting more and more common.

Plus it's not like AMD has made any improvements in the last 3 years.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's a pro console, not a pleb console.
8K has no marketshare and won't have any significant marketshare by the time the PS5 Pro becomes obsolete.

It's just idiotic to focus on it, not to mention that it's a lie and PS5 Pro won't get even close to rendering actual games at 8K.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Bet they are going with the 8k push. 8k tvs are getting more and more common.

Plus it's not like AMD has made any improvements in the last 3 years.
I don't think 8K is necessary. That is 160 ppi on a 55 inches TV, and since most people sit 3-5m away from their TVs, they probably not gonna notice the different. Probably just marketing buzzword

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't think 8K is necessary. That is 160 ppi on a 55 inches TV, and since most people sit 3-5m away from their TVs, they probably not gonna notice the different. Probably just marketing buzzword
It's also going to take ages for 8K content to be produced when 4K is still lacking to this day.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
8K has no marketshare and won't have any significant marketshare by the time the PS5 Pro becomes obsolete.

It's just idiotic to focus on it, not to mention that it's a lie and PS5 Pro won't get even close to rendering actual games at 8K.
Of course, but average consumers are idiots.

4 pro and 5 can't really do 4k either.
Most are buying 75" or 85".