PS5 shipments top 54.8 million as of December 2023. Has outsold Xbox Series X/S 2-1, data suggests

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have an Xbox and PC. Lots of my friends didn't get xbox this gen but use pc game pass. I wonder how how much of a gap this closes when adding those consistent pc game pass users.
Xbox throws PC gamepass in their numbers and don't differentiate. Their gamepass numbers combined have been stagnant.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
After Take 2 announced that there is 77M next gen consoles, we can see, that Xbox is in a great position to go 3rd party.

Be nice to each other 💙

PS5 shipments top 54.8 million, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sales top 10 million
8.2 million PlayStation 5s sold during the three months ended December 31, 2023.

PlayStation 5 has shipped 54.8 million units worldwide, Sony announced in its financial results for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2023.

A total of 8.2 million PlayStation 5 units were shipped during the three months ended December 31, 2023, which is up 1.1 million from the same period the previous fiscal year.

Here are a couple of additional statistics:

There are 123 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network as of December 31, 2023, which is up 11 million from the 112 million active users during the same period the previous fiscal year.
PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 software combined sold 89.7 million units during the three months ended December 31, 2023, which is up 3.2 million from the 86.5 million software sold during the same period the previous fiscal year.
16.2 million units were first-party titles, which is down 4.6 million from the 20.8 million units sold during the same period the previous fiscal year. 66 percent of software sales were full game software digital downloads, which is up four percent from the same period the previous fiscal year.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has sold-through 10 million units as of February 4, 2024.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Not so good news I suppose?

Imagine the world, where to sell 21M is not a good news? 😁

Xbox right now
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It bears repeating, but Nintendo getting out of the Triple A race has been the best decision they've ever made.

On the hardware side both Xbox and PlayStation are simply too expensive in the current economy and doesn't look like it's going to improve any time soon.
Software development in the triple A space has ballooned in cost significantly in the last 5 years, this is really not help profit margins at all.

Also, I would prepare for layoffs relative soon: https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/son...xisting-franchise-titles-before-march-31-2025

“Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games,” Sony Group president, chief operating officer, and chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki said. “But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year (Editor’s Note: ends March 31, 2025) like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.”

Totoki continued, “Although the burden of acquisition related costs will ease next fiscal year, we expect profit from first-party software to decrease slightly from this fiscal year due to the impact of the decrease in sales. Due to this, operating income for the next fiscal year is currently expected to increase slightly from this fiscal year. However, while this our baseline, we are reviewing measures for further improvement in profitability in advance of the annual forecast results announcement this May.

21 million is still a big success.

In no way is missing your forecast by a whole 4 million a big success.
Also there's a possibility they don't even hit that new forecast because they're at 16,4M right now and that would mean selling 4.6M in Q4 after a 8.2M in Q3 which is not at all a guarantee.

Jim Ryan was def shown the door earlier this year, they would've had the forecasts that things were heading this way

That's not good at all. Cancelling factions cost them big time.

It would've surely been slated to release FY March 2024-April 2025 for sure, that leaves another big hole for software which will not help hardware sales next FY.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I want sell through numbers not shipped. Rough times ahead for PS5

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
What console do you know of in the past or present that selling 21M isn't a huge success?

Success is always relative to expectations given through forecasts to the shareholders and how well any corporation performed compared to them.
That 21M forecast in total for the FY is still an aggressive target that will not be easy to achieve either.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It bears repeating, but Nintendo getting out of the Triple A race has been the best decision they've ever made.

On the hardware side both Xbox and PlayStation are simply too expensive in the current economy and doesn't look like it's going to improve any time soon.
Software development in the triple A space has ballooned in cost significantly in the last 5 years, this is really not help profit margins at all.
Sony should have abandoned EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 and Square to release their AAA games on PC and that's it? Sony is not the only ones making demanding games. The whole industry will just die if consoles are not powerful enough to run these games.

Reactions: The Icon

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Denial is thinking that missing a sales forecast by 4M units is ok since it was ambitious.

No, they missed it because they fucked up with nothing last year other than Spider-Man 2, while releasing a handful of PC ports.

It finally caught up with them, and Jimmy retired just in time to not have egg blow on his face

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

lynux3

21 Apr 2023
Success is always relative to expectations given through forecasts to the shareholders and how well any corporation performed compared to them.
That 21M forecast in total for the FY is still an aggressive target that will not be easy to achieve either.
That's not an answer to my question. This isn't about relativity. This is about what console do you know of in the past or present where 21M units sold in a FY isn't a big success?

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

gokuss4

Veteran
28 Jan 2023
I think playstation will go third party like xbox imo
Nintendo is the only smart videogames company in the world
That's why they always win and destroy the competition