PSVR 2 Deep Dive - Song In The Smoke Preview - Talking Tech With 17-Bit

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022

I know there is that thread with John and his opinion on Hogwarts (which I don't agree with and not attacking him for it) but, lets just forget that for now and focus on the info of the game and how much praise 17-Bit is putting on the PSVR2. There is a lot of great info on how they made this work on this headset.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Some tidbits from the interview:
  • The PS VR 2 version is by far the best.
  • PS VR 2 is a proper premium machine that won't be overtaken by another VR headset for quite some time.
  • Foveated rendering with eye-tracking is a game changer.
  • When they activated Foveated Rendering, they went "Oh my God!!". They said we can never go back now.
  • OLED blacks are amazing. It's proper pitch black if you're in the dark, so much so that they you start wondering if your VR headset is even on or off.
  • The comfort of the PS VR 2 is second to none. Sony has done a great job in stopping the light leakage. There is essentially 0 light leakage.
  • PS VR 2 offers a lot of new features -- adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, headset haptic, foveated rendering, eye-tracking, etc. And there are no PS VR 2 games out there, so there is no standard practice or templates on how to use these features. This means devs are playing with it on their own and coming with really creative stuff.
  • Eye-tracking is so fast and accurate that the dev tried his level-best to break it by looking at different areas super fast. He failed because he couldn't break it at all. It's so fast and accurate.
  • The fidelity improvement is a "quantum leap." -
  • The polycount increase from PS VR 1 to PS VR 2 versions is by 4x to 10x.
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.12.00 PM.jpg