Quiet Actress (MGS:V) on Sexualization: "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all."

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
screenshot-2023-10-31-163250-1698770040912.png

Stefanie Joosten, the actress who played Quiet in Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, has said she understands both sides of the controversy surrounding the sexualisation of her character.

Quiet became the centre of debate surrounding the over-sexualisation of women in video games and the media in general due to the character wearing little more than a bikini despite being a military assassin.

It's been interesting to see the discussions about the character. Of course, I've seen them, and read a lot of different perspectives on the character at the time. And still, I respect the choices Kojima made and his team in designing the character.

And also, of course, there's also just a choice of creating a character that's visually appealing. I think video games are, in a way, still a sort of fantasy world you enter, so I definitely respect the choices regarding the Quiet appearance, for instance, being quite revealing.

Joosten said she understands why people aren't happy with how Quiet was portrayed too, however, and suggested the character is a product of the time.

I also understand the perspective of the people that are not as happy with how she was portrayed. This game came out in 2015, and I think the video game landscape has changed quite a lot since then. People are looking for more representation, and I really get it.

As explained in Metal Gear Solid 5, Quiet wears so little because she sustained serious injuries while trying to kill protagonist Big Boss at the beginning of the game. These injuries can't be seen, but mean she can only breathe or drink through her skin, so wearing too much clothing would lead to suffocation.

Joosten also doesn't believe the story reasons were strong enough to justify Quiet's lack of clothing. "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all," she said.

"Even with the explanation that was given of her breathing through her skin, of course there were so many other options you could have gone with. I do agree on that.

"I got to see the character artwork when we were starting motion capture, and of course my first reaction was, 'that's a very revealing costume', but I respected it and accepted it. So that's basically my stance. It's fantasy, and I find that acceptable as well. But I do understand, having more of a diverse representation in video games for woman and all minorities is something I would encourage as well."

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
You don't say.

He should have outright said he likes it. But he came up with this whole mysterious reason and said we'd be ashamed of our words and deeds when we find out the reason for her outfit. Turned out, she breathes through her skin so...

Must be why she's shoving her ass in your face all the time during chopper rides.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The explanation Kojima gave was so dumb and overly complicated I thought it was a joke.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The outfits in music videos are also not practical but its okay to sexualise songs for that audience.. Double standards of western culture

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Today I learnt that Lea Seydoux is not sexy.

And I agree, she's a fucking Goddess.
What is the character she is playing
Freggie I think.

I don't understand her stupid line:

I am not easy to break because I am Freggie?

What the fuck does it suppose to mean lol

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
People on ResetEra must have a heart attack if they go to beach and see women in bikinis! They should all cover up and wear burkas

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I don’t mean to Pooh Pooh the thread here but I firmly believes The outfit to be quite indeed stupid tbh.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Do you honestly believe this?

Did he ever show proof of this?

Seriously speaking, the dude is a 4-chan troll, no doubt.
Well I'm not gonna ask for his passport and proof of citizenship but he talked about living in Japan multiple times. Like below:

Japan market prefers easy to pick up, simple games that available on handhelds.

Blockbuster games are not really selling as well in here anymore. Most blockbuster games attract more of age of 40 above actually, I think more adults buy PS5 than young people.

Also I lived in Hokkaido region, pretty far from Japan central like Tokyo, Yokohama,... so I probably out of touch with there.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Mate hate me because I hate Kojimbo.

I started to the Kojimbo is like a cult or some shit.
Last 7 years Kojimbo pump out garbage that scammed Sony millions

Some aetuer.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Well I'm not gonna ask for his passport and proof of citizenship but he talked about living in Japan multiple times. Like below:
I lived far away from the center so I don't known jack shit about those but I do dwell forums and group so I do know some juicy stuffs that other people in the circls share.

At the end I'm just a normie mate.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Mate hate me because I hate Kojimbo.

I started to the Kojimbo is like a cult or some shit.
Last 7 years Kojimbo pump out garbage that scammed Sony millions

Some aetuer.
I don't hate him, but guy is nothing special.
He managed to group up cult like Phil.

Reactions: Snes nes