Random nonsense, but would Warner Discovery be a good target for Sony?

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
They are currently valued at ~$38B with about ~$45 debt.
Or would regulators 100% :

america finger GIF

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't think Sony has that much lying around. Anyways, I assume this is because you want their games division. If so, you'd be better off just making a deal for that and skipping the movie and tv divisions.

Also, I wonder how Americans would react to a foreign company owning Superman.

OP
OP
CloudStrife

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
They have a ton of IPs but I feel like this would get scrutinized even harder than the MS/ATVI deal. lol

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They don't need to acquire them. They can create a partnership like they are doing right now with TLOU HBO and Hogwarts. Invest in the company and become long-term partner.

They absolutely should be doing that right now and I'm pissed if they don't.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm of the opinion that they have fantastic IP's but overall poor direction recently.

They used to be very well managed.... Nolan films etc.

Just after having a look...48.6 billion longterm debt....I would stay away from it.

Much better picks out there with less risk.

NetherRealm or the gaming side would be nice to buy and WB could pay off debt though...might be tempting for WB management.

Reactions: CloudStrife
D

Deleted member 417

If Sony bought them and combined the WB IP's and Insomniac talent, they could be a DC/Superhero game making machine. Insomniac have pumped out 4 games in little over 2 years. With the right resources, structuring and WB studios helping out, Sony could be the default WB/Marvel movie tie-in game studio.

One thing is for sure, Suicide Squad made by Insomniac would be leagues better than the crap that is about to drop.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
One thing is for sure, Suicide Squad made by Insomniac would be leagues better than the crap that is about to drop.
Rocksteady are no slouches, SS as GaaS would suck no matter who made it.

D

Deleted member 417

Rocksteady are no slouches, SS as GaaS would suck no matter who made it.
SS had potential, it was not realised by a studio that has lost its' way. GaaS do suck though.

I'll chuck Superman and/or Batman VR into the mix

EN250

17 Feb 2023
How many times WB whatever just got sold or fused with another company so then they still lost money, then one side just f* it and then another sale, fusion and still in so much debt and not improving at all?

Wait for it to go down in flames, or secure WB games before it goes down in flames, MK + NRS and Rocksteady are valuable still, oh, and the devs who made the Shadow of Mordor games 😛

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How many times WB whatever just got sold or fused with another company so then they still lost money, then one side just f* it and then another sale, fusion and still in so much debt and not improving at all?

Wait for it to go down in flames, or secure WB games before it goes down in flames, MK + NRS and Rocksteady are valuable still, oh, and the devs who made the Shadow of Mordor games 😛
Haha, how far back do you want to go? There was 7 Arts in the 60s, followed by that construction company in the eighties. Then they merged with Time, followed by another merger with AOL. And then, finally, Discovery brought them out.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Warner Bros makes more sense for Xbox - Sony already has plenty of exclusive deals with Marvel AKA Spiderman/Wolverine. Makes 0 logical sense.

D

Deleted member 417

Warner Bros makes more sense for Xbox - Sony already has plenty of exclusive deals with Marvel AKA Spiderman/Wolverine. Makes 0 logical sense.
If they've already got the deals in place, doesn't it make more sense? Insomniac are tried and tested in the superhero field.

Leave Microsoft to build their RPG portfolio. everybody wins

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think that would run into a lot of regulatory problems, especially from the film and music side.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Warner Brothers Discovery is such a basket case of a company that it would be suicidal for anyone to buy that mess of a corporation out.

Maybe give them ten years minimum to get their shit together or buy their IPS out of bankruptcy, but it would be way more headaches than it would conceivably be worth.

Reactions: EN250