Ready At Dawn (The Order 1886, God of War Ghost of Sparta) hit with mass layoffs

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The Order was just rushed out of the door and unfinished but pretty much all individual elements were good from. They didn't have the prestige of some Sony other studios to get their game delayed and it was rushed out of the door only 5 years after their last game, plenty of other Sony studios got way more time.
5 years and 1886 is all they have to show for it? I feel bad for people losing their jobs but, since I think that Facebook's VR hopes are dead, they'll only be the first of many-FB owns 8 other VR studios.

edit: Downpour Interactive (makers of Onward) also got hit. Both purchased within the last five years, not sure if either still exists, obviously a bad move from FB (don't call them Meta, or do you call Philip Morris by its assumed identity too?) but by this point we all know that their metaverse dreams are crashing around them. I have zero (or should I say Zzero) insight here but my guess is that management gave them population cull numbers and then an underling at the VR division had to cut a certain percentage of game people.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
5 years and 1886 is all they have to show for it? I feel bad for people losing their jobs but, since I think that Facebook's VR hopes are dead, they'll only be the first of many-FB owns 8 other VR studios.

edit: Downpour Interactive (makers of Onward) also got hit. Both purchased within the last five years, not sure if either still exists, obviously a bad move from FB (don't call them Meta, or do you call Philip Morris by its assumed identity too?) but by this point we all know that their metaverse dreams are crashing around them. I have zero (or should I say Zzero) insight here but my guess is that management gave them population cull numbers and then an underling at the VR division had to cut a certain percentage of game people.

Is this what Xbox's acquired studios have to look forward to?

I really think so if things keep going as they are. Will Destin be cheering then?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People bashes The Order but I think it was awesome in a lot of areas, and that only remained to fix a few ones like level design, the final bosses, increase the percentage of normal gameplay vs QTE or cinematics and increase the game length a bit and give you more freedom to freely switch between the weapons you already unlocked.

Considering the huge work that is to build an IP and develop a AAA game, I consider that these areas that needed improvement were pretty minor.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I loved the order. The characters. The setting… I would’ve been fine with campaign length if it had simple team PvP. Gears did both… The gunplay was fantastic and would’ve loved to have engaged with it in PvP. Especially since there are zero good third person PvP shooters.

It’s all over now tho. Forgot Facebook got ‘em. I expect nothing.

Last edited:
  • sad

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Order 1886 had it's issues.

But man i would love for sony to revisit that world.

Secret order fighting off werewolves and all sorts of other creatures in victorian era london, sign me up.
Yep they had it all set up they could of gone through the Knights of the round table, blackwater ,vamps, werewolves , Frankenstein, mummy the monster set , the industrial tech era. I platinumed that game. So rich in story direction. Sony were in the red that time. They were ruthless cutting of studios with "flops". What could of been

• sad

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yep they had it all set up they could of gone through the Knights of the round table, blackwater ,vamps, werewolves , Frankenstein, mummy the monster set , the industrial tech era. I platinumed that game. So rich in story direction. Sony were in the red that time. They were ruthless cutting of studios with "flops". What could of been
Yeah thinking about the potential of this world makes it suck even more that we will probably never see what could have been.

The setting gives me penny dreadful tv show vibes, which was also set in victorian era london with all sorts of creatures.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The Order was a victim of online gamer hysteria that I've only seen from something like Forespoken, people calling it a horrible, shit, awful game etc when it's actually a pretty good game, awesome graphics/music and good gunplay. The only thing people were mad at was it's length, which could've been fixed with a sequel. Instead a whole studio got tarnished and lead to what Facebook is doing now. Even today if you bring up the game online you'll have people acting like it was the worst thing ever made.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The Order was a victim of online gamer hysteria that I've only seen from something like Forespoken, people calling it a horrible, shit, awful game etc when it's actually a pretty good game, awesome graphics/music and good gunplay. The only thing people were mad at was it's length, which could've been fixed with a sequel. Instead a whole studio got tarnished and lead to what Facebook is doing now. Even today if you bring up the game online you'll have people acting like it was the worst thing ever made.
Sony doesn't help the game at all. They never even included it on PS+, it's the perfect game to put on the service, most people never gave it a chance.

• thinking_hard