REAL TALK: if Sony themselfs doesn't see Nintendo as a competitor, what stops them from porting a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to the Switch 2?

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
This game fits in their "experimental" bracket which by description allows for "new audiences".

Pretty arbitrary but Horizon mainline would be considered tentpole releases

20240609_070452.jpg

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
if LEGO Horizon Adventures sells 5M+ copies on the Switch... at this point, what's stopping them from bringing similar games like Sackboy? Astro? with the excuse of finding new audiences to entice to buy a PlayStation to play sequels (that they're also going to put on there)
That is a massive if, because as far as I can tell, stuff like Lego Batman never does that well on Switch.

Its far more likely that the game comes out and doesn't make any splash at all. Also, bear in mind, this isn't a Traveller's Tales game, we don't know if it will maintain their quality of writing and TLC. It might be buggy, bearbones, full of MTX and light on fun.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I actually wouldn't be surprised if LEGO Horizon on Switch is in service of 3 things:

1: Port HZD & HFW to Switch 2 in a double-pack release (probably in 2025)

2: Get Aloy as a playable character in Smash Bros (current one or next iteration)

3: Get some kind of Nintendo skins/costumes in Astro Bot (this isn't completely off the table)
Nintendo wouldn't let Nintendo skins (Metroid, specifically) appear on non-Switch versions of Fortnite, they aren't doing any sort of deal for Astrobot.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I actually wouldn't be surprised if LEGO Horizon on Switch is in service of 3 things:

1: Port HZD & HFW to Switch 2 in a double-pack release (probably in 2025)

2: Get Aloy as a playable character in Smash Bros (current one or next iteration)

3: Get some kind of Nintendo skins/costumes in Astro Bot (this isn't completely off the table)
Ohhhhh…

Aloy in Smash Bros will make it a Sony’s first party game like people are claiming?

Or Astro Bot becoming some Nintendo first-party title?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is a massive if, because as far as I can tell, stuff like Lego Batman never does that well on Switch.

Its far more likely that the game comes out and doesn't make any splash at all. Also, bear in mind, this isn't a Traveller's Tales game, we don't know if it will maintain their quality of writing and TLC. It might be buggy, bearbones, full of MTX and light on fun.
Lego Batman reached 14.4 million in 2020.
I won’t be surprised if most sales were on Wii and DS.

It probably was.

Most Lego games sold best on Nintendo platforms.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Honestly some of the posts here.

All cause a LEGO game has appeared on the Switch.

Astro Bot coming to Switch 2.

Horizon 1 and 2 coming to Switch 2.

If anything the only thing coming are more Sony LEGO games.

Looks like Sony may have signed a multi game deal with LEGO.

Don’t be surprised to see LEGO GoW, LEGO Uncharted and LEGO TLOU coming.

Also why is the Switch 2 already considered a resounding success. It’s a new console which will start with 0 users like the Wii U.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethomaz

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
if LEGO Horizon Adventures sells 5M+ copies on the Switch... at this point, what's stopping them from bringing similar games like Sackboy? Astro? with the excuse of finding new audiences to entice to buy a PlayStation to play sequels (that they're also going to put on there)
I think astrobot will come to switch 2, hence no talk of Astrobot VR2 version.

• haha
Reactions: Muddasar

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lego Batman reached 14.4 million in 2020.
I won’t be surprised if most sales were on Wii and DS.

It probably was.

Most Lego games sold best on Nintendo platforms.
Lego Batman one? That was a PS2 game. Credit where its due, it came out on literally everything.

I'm googling it and I am not sure where the 14.4 number comes from. I see Guinness (the opposite of reliable, all you need for a Guinness record is to pay them) but it looks like they might be counting the series as a whole (or, at least, 1 and 2, given the timeframe) since Gamespot is saying that the game had sold 10 million a year prior. Ultimately, WB doesn't seem to have been releasing numbers so we'll never really know. I will say though, that I am probably underestimating those games. I had forgotten that last year's Lego Star Wars, though totally forgotten by enthusiats (and hated by its own developers) actually made the top ten list for most of last year, and was a veritable hit.

Its also a little unfair to expect that Switch sales will equal Wii+DS since, a) those two combined actually had something like 1.5 more units sold than Switch alone and b) the sales of third party Wii/DS series like Carnival Games and Rabbids have totally differed from those on Switch, which looks a lot more like a "normal" games system in regards to what does and doesn't do well.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think astrobot will come to switch 2, hence no talk of Astrobot VR2 version.

Astro Bot is the last game that will appear on another platform.

Secondly what’s all this talk about Switch 2 ports as though it is already a resounding success.

It will start with 0 users just like the Wii U.

By the time it releases the PS5 will have 80 million users.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Nobody is competition anymore!!

happy lance bass GIF by The Meredith Vieira Show

• Cerny
Reactions: Darth Vader

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Lego Batman one? That was a PS2 game. Credit where its due, it came out on literally everything.

I'm googling it and I am not sure where the 14.4 number comes from. I see Guinness (the opposite of reliable, all you need for a Guinness record is to pay them) but it looks like they might be counting the series as a whole (or, at least, 1 and 2, given the timeframe) since Gamespot is saying that the game had sold 10 million a year prior. Ultimately, WB doesn't seem to have been releasing numbers so we'll never really know. I will say though, that I am probably underestimating those games. I had forgotten that last year's Lego Star Wars, though totally forgotten by enthusiats (and hated by its own developers) actually made the top ten list for most of last year, and was a veritable hit.

Its also a little unfair to expect that Switch sales will equal Wii+DS since, a) those two combined actually had something like 1.5 more units sold than Switch alone and b) the sales of third party Wii/DS series like Carnival Games and Rabbids have totally differed from those on Switch, which looks a lot more like a "normal" games system in regards to what does and doesn't do well.

They are combining old Lego Bataman data… original 11 million as of 2012 and 3.4 million of sequel in few months (2022).

Guinness record was 12.8m as 2014.

BTW both Lego Harry Potter and Star Wars sold way better than Lego Batman.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
they just opened the Pandora's Box with this LEGO title, if it's a success on the Switch, what stops them from porting Zero Dawn to the Switch 2? and then Forbidden West... and then God Of War... i've seen this film before with PC, and the goalposts at the time were "oh, it won't be all the games, oh it's just the decima engine games, oh, it's just 5 year old games", this community seems to love to move goalposts, BE REAL, if you were against MS putting games on PC and you're critical of Xbox for becoming a third party publisher right now, you need to keep the same energy for Sony.
maxresdefault.jpg
For what Hermen said in the presentation, I assume the idea is to lure Switch users with a kid friendly adaptation and then if they want to play the real "tentpole" Horizon games -specially the recent ones- then they should buy a PS5.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
For what Hermen said in the presentation, I assume the idea is to lure Switch users with a kid friendly adaptation and then if they want to play the real "tentpole" Horizon games -specially the recent ones- then they should buy a PS5.

I think Hermen is full of shit.

You aren’t luring anyone with Horizon and it’s simply a case of trying to make a little extra money with this release and other PC releases.

You want to lure gamers to Playstation you keep your games exclusive like Nintendo.

So Yes it will damage to the brand in the long term for short term profits but neither am I a Doom monger who thinks every game will now miraculously appear on PC and Switch Day 1.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
You're not luring shit with a Horizon lego game. This is most likely a case where lego wanted it on switch.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Nothing and they will do It.
You guys will cope by saying that "It's an old game!" and "they want to convert Nintendo players".

It is. Nintendo actually cares about their IP and their console. Sony tries to desperately make horizon relevant and they will fail again.

Reactions: Box