Remedy sales info for Alan Wake 2: 1.3 mil sales beginning of February. Remedy fastest selling game. |UP| Control has sold over 4 million.

D

Deleted member 223

Their games while good have never had mass market appeal
Doesn't help they handicapped this release by going with Epic as a publisher. But hey, if the Epic bag made sense for them? Reading some news it appears Epic funded this game in whole or a big chunk. I can understand the Epic store exclusivity on PC but the lack of physical release on consoles is a lack of understanding of the target market - it ain't the Gen Z Fortnite F2P crowd but the pesky hardcore millennials who grew with physical.

Physical Day 1 or digital at a significant discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Doesn't help they handicapped this release by going with Epic as a publisher. But hey, if the Epic bag made sense for them? Reading some news it appears Epic funded this game in whole or a big chunk. I can understand the Epic store exclusivity on PC but the lack of physical release on consoles is a lack of understanding of the target market - it ain't the Gen Z Fortnite F2P crowd but the pesky hardcore millennials who grew with physical.

Physical Day 1 or digital at a significant discount.
Yeah I didn't like the way this went down very restrictive for them in terms of sales.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
News: Fastest selling game is record breaker for the developer
Knee jerk reactions here: That's rough. Too bad for them. Ah it sucks, only if they released on PC

Wtf is wrong with you guys??? It's selling well and it will have long legs because it's a cult franchise. Plus Remedy is doing the interconnected story lines with all their games going forward so there will be jump in sales of previous games when the next game releases, like Control 2.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
News: Fastest selling game is record breaker for the developer
Knee jerk reactions here: That's rough. Too bad for them. Ah it sucks, only if they released on PC

Wtf is wrong with you guys??? It's selling well and it will have long legs because it's a cult franchise. Plus Remedy is doing the interconnected story lines with all their games going forward so there will be jump in sales of previous games when the next game releases, like Control 2.
A little over 1 million in 4 months for a high-profile release that won tons of awards is low no matter if it's the "fastest selling". Remedy is a household name by now. I know they were fucked by being associated with Xbox for so long but still. I don't think of them as "niche".

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Now, if Sony is being criticized for low margins and spending too much on their AAA games, I can only imagine how it is for Remedy.

Remedy is huge with a headcount of 360 as of 2023, that is close to the size of Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica.
It's more expensive to operate a dev company in California though?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
A little over 1 million in 4 months for a high-profile release that won tons of awards is low no matter if it's the "fastest selling". Remedy is a household name by now. I know they were fucked by being associated with Xbox for so long but still. I don't think of them as "niche".
The Alan Wake IP is very niche though? A sequel coming well over a decade of the first game. Remedy is definitely not a household name in the way you think.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It's more expensive to operate a dev company in California though?
There is a drastic difference in sales tho, I listed studios of similar sizes that make games that sell multiple time.

Not to mention that PlayStation also get a 30% cut of other people's games on their platform, something isn't adding up.

I guess maybe Sony games make use of vastly more contracted work?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
There is a drastic difference in sales tho, I listed studios of similar sizes that make games that sell multiple time.

Not to mention that PlayStation also get a 30% cut of other people's games on their platform, something isn't adding up.

I guess maybe Sony games make use of vastly more contracted work?
Yes Studios like Naughty Dog and Insomniac outsource a lot. Naughty Dog had close to 1000 people work on TLOU 2 by the end because of contracted outsourcing... Along with as mentioned California is simply more expensive to operate a development studio than anywhere else.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Even with Epic funding development, there's no way Remedy got out of this game what they deserved. It should be a 5-10M seller, and it would build an audience for the next game. They made similar mistakes with Control and Quantum Break before that. These MFers could be up there with Naughty Dog if they didn't keep taking shitty deals.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Even with Epic funding development, there's no way Remedy got out of this game what they deserved. It should be a 5-10M seller, and it would build an audience for the next game. They made similar mistakes with Control and Quantum Break before that. These MFers could be up there with Naughty Dog if they didn't keep taking shitty deals.
I think no other dev has a history of so many bad deals and makes such high quality AAA games with so little return.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah it's low compared to what the so called status quo should be.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Wait, it didn't release on PC? Or was it Epic exclusive?
It did release on PC, on EGS, thats where I bought it and they gave me a free Alan Wake Fortnite skin 😁

This was my favorite game last year tied with Yakuza Gaiden. I would double dip on a PS5 version if it had a physical release