Remember the PS5 Liquid Metal FUD? That guy is back with another video

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Let's see if this video gets even 5% of the attention the PS5 FUD video got. It was plastered everywhere with tons of articles about it.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
This will probably end up as believable as the PS5 one. AKA completely false outside of one or two instances that could have had questionable work history.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Let's see if this video gets even 5% of the attention the PS5 FUD video got. It was plastered everywhere with tons of articles about it.
Well this was posted a month ago and this is the first I'm hearing of it, so already no.

No idea why anyone would ever trust anything this guy says

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This is horrible, especially since it seems that the machine has an actual nvme drive inside.

The guy mentions that the PS5 drive can be replaced... How does he do this? Can the PS5 work with only the "secondary" drive? (I have a PS5, no xbox... so this is what's actually relevant to me).

24 Jun 2022
So, uh...seems like I might've been wrong here. Louis Rossman (a tech Youtuber I know of and have watched content of in the past, he seems to know his stuff quite well) weighed in on this video and it seems like this is actually a pretty serious problem for Xbox consoles.

Basically, if you try to replace the internal SSD on the X or S with a 3P one, and there's a firmware update to the system, there's a very high chance the system will fail to boot. I suppose MS have encrypted very specific OS and BIOS keys into the factory internal storage of all Series systems, and if you don't clone the drive before swapping with a replacement, a firmware update could end up bricking the console.

This doesn't seem like a mechanical failure or material failure like the RROD for 360 (or the YLOD on PS3, which was less frequent but still too frequent in itself), but rather an intentional design limitation implemented by Microsoft. They don't want people to mess with the systems themselves, but are also doing it to nickel and dime owners of the hardware.

They've faced similar criticisms with the Surface devices; given Xbox Series involved the Surface hardware team, I guess this isn't too surprising :/

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
So, uh...seems like I might've been wrong here. Louis Rossman (a tech Youtuber I know of and have watched content of in the past, he seems to know his stuff quite well) weighed in on this video and it seems like this is actually a pretty serious problem for Xbox consoles.

Basically, if you try to replace the internal SSD on the X or S with a 3P one, and there's a firmware update to the system, there's a very high chance the system will fail to boot. I suppose MS have encrypted very specific OS and BIOS keys into the factory internal storage of all Series systems, and if you don't clone the drive before swapping with a replacement, a firmware update could end up bricking the console.

This doesn't seem like a mechanical failure or material failure like the RROD for 360 (or the YLOD on PS3, which was less frequent but still too frequent in itself), but rather an intentional design limitation implemented by Microsoft. They don't want people to mess with the systems themselves, but are also doing it to nickel and dime owners of the hardware.

They've faced similar criticisms with the Surface devices; given Xbox Series involved the Surface hardware team, I guess this isn't too surprising :/
But how do we replace the built-in memory on the ps5? Or can it run with only the nvme drive?

Because Sony may have picked some much more reliable nand memory, but it will catch up to us at one point or another. .. I don't leave much on my built-in drive, just in case.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

I don't think its an issue, a nvme SSD has a lifespan of like 300+ TBW and thats on the low end. It'd take 20+ years for the internal ssd to fail and by then you'll be able to easily flash custom firmware on to these consoles.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't think its an issue, a nvme SSD has a lifespan of like 300+ TBW and thats on the low end. It'd take 20+ years for the internal ssd to fail and by then you'll be able to easily flash custom firmware on to these consoles.
The one in the Xbox is already failing apparently.. and silicone lottery.

• Surprised
Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
But how do we replace the built-in memory on the ps5? Or can it run with only the nvme drive?

Well all PS5s have their internal storage assembled as individual NAND chips in a 12-channel array, that are soldered to the motherboard. You don't so much "replace" PS5's internal memory so much as expand it. They probably have a restore partition stored somewhere on the internal storage.

Because Sony may have picked some much more reliable nand memory, but it will catch up to us at one point or another. .. I don't leave much on my built-in drive, just in case.

The most reliable NAND is technically SLC, but I doubt Sony are using that. It's very expensive and density is very low compared to MLC, TLC or QLC. But it's definitely the most durable.

Nowadays though that isn't much an issue because flash memory controllers are extremely well-designed at wear-leveling the drive and handling how data is written and erased from it. I also think the higher-capacity NAND types are capable of more bandwidth per module, at least by spec, but that may just be coincidence in the fact SSD manufacturers don't use SLC anymore for consumer-grade drives.

Yah, that is quite true.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Flash memory only lasts about 13 years before it needs to either be rewritten, or becomes corrupted.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

Simple, they gonna release an update allowing firmware to be install on external SSD.

I think they locked that feature on the BIOS, and will probably release it once the gen wrap up.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster