Reminder: Sony is working with AMD for a handheld with 2teraflops of GPU power

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
according to the same guy who leaked the specs of PS5 Pro and the existence of PSSR earlier this year, Sony already has a contract signed with AMD for the PS6 and a handheld that he says might have the same GPU power of the PS4 but using a completely different architecture based on the new Zen CPUs, it will also have 16GB+ of memory to be able to run PS5 games
51-VE4B6KrL.jpg

i was thinking about that... and Sony is really smart if this proves to be correct, Nintendo Switch 2 will receive big support from third party developers due to its power increase being similar to something like the Steam Deck, so third parties would have no problem working on versions for Sony's handheld too, since they're already making the effort to port the games to the Switch 2, playing games natively on the go with a decent quality (720p, 900p, 1080p) in an 8 inch OLED screen would be fantastic, there's also Sony's PSSR technology that can be used for this handheld to improve resolution and frame-rates, gonna be really interesting

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
i was thinking about that... and Sony is really smart if this proves to be correct, Nintendo Switch 2 will receive big support from third party developers due to its power increase being similar to something like the Steam Deck

Smashing X to doubt rn

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Smashing X to doubt rn
developers are literally desperate for more people to buy their games, Switch has a playerbase of over 140M people that will likely upgrade to a new device due to their digital/physical libraries and the backwards compatibility of the Switch 2, Call Of Duty for example is already secured to have a Switch 2 version

Last edited:
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
If this is real, then hopefully Sony has learned their lesson about using proprietary memory.
they should also learn the lesson and remove their games from Steam, give them no Steam Deck optimization support and put them on their PS Launcher exclusevly, at least if people on Steam Deck download their games it's gonna be through PSN and the PS Launcher where Sony controls better the playerbase

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
i was thinking about that... and Sony is really smart if this proves to be correct, Nintendo Switch 2 will receive big support from third party developers due to its power increase being similar to something like the Steam Deck, so third parties would have no problem working on versions for Sony's handheld too, since they're already making the effort to port the games to the Switch 2, playing games natively on the go with a decent quality (720p, 900p, 1080p) in an 8 inch OLED screen would be fantastic, there's also Sony's PSSR technology that can be used for this handheld to improve resolution and frame-rates, gonna be really interesting

A lot of people wrongfully think that a PS handheld has to be a PS5 handheld. It doesn't.

All Sony needs to do is position itself where all PS4 games work natively on the machine. A multitude of games are still cross gen, and will probably continue to be so at least on a technical level due to the Switch 2 as you mentioned.

If you can get away with making a Switch game and porting it to PS4 and thus being able to have it work on the PlayStation handheld... why wouldn't you.

For PS5 exclusive games, you put out a descaled version of the same game just like a PS5 Pro would be an upscaled version. The XSS doesn't have a mature built in hardware machine learning upscaler. If it did, we'd probably see fewer problems with XSS.

A PS handheld could probably run a PS5 game at sub 720p and upscale to 1080p and still look amazing on a smaller screen. I hope they don't feel the need to force this to be 8 inches. The Vita had a 5 inch screen and the Switch Lite is 5.5 inches.

Looking at the portal for an example here is a mistake. You're much better off towards 5.5 or 6 inches and make this a proper handheld. Maybe release a larger version at a later date.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That wasnt him, that was Billbil kun. Moore Law is Dead is completely unreliable.

The leaked photos of Ratchet and Clank came from MLID. What are you talking about?

You're conflating the leaked PS5 Pro image and the image of an actual game being upscaled.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Man a lot of PC glazers have joined recently, Looks like it is pretty barren for them with wukong not being cracked yet. They literally have a game that launched which can put their so called high specs PC's through the paces but they come and discuss playstation games ports :ROFLMAO: 🤭

Reactions: Johnic

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I could see them chasing the mobile unit trend.

It fits their MO at the moment. The problem is that everyone is jumping in there now.

It's good to be in before or when nobody else is doing it.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
That wasnt him, that was Billbil kun. Moore Law is Dead is completely unreliable.
He is 50/50 and in the case of the ps5 pro unfortunately he was right, but I dont think its a reach to think Sony may be planning a handheld seeing the popularity of switch and the positive reception of the portal

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
A lot of people wrongfully think that a PS handheld has to be a PS5 handheld. It doesn't.

All Sony needs to do is position itself where all PS4 games work natively on the machine. A multitude of games are still cross gen, and will probably continue to be so at least on a technical level due to the Switch 2 as you mentioned.

If you can get away with making a Switch game and porting it to PS4 and thus being able to have it work on the PlayStation handheld... why wouldn't you.

For PS5 exclusive games, you put out a descaled version of the same game just like a PS5 Pro would be an upscaled version. The XSS doesn't have a mature built in hardware machine learning upscaler. If it did, we'd probably see fewer problems with XSS.

A PS handheld could probably run a PS5 game at sub 720p and upscale to 1080p and still look amazing on a smaller screen. I hope they don't feel the need to force this to be 8 inches. The Vita had a 5 inch screen and the Switch Lite is 5.5 inches.

Looking at the portal for an example here is a mistake. You're much better off towards 5.5 or 6 inches and make this a proper handheld. Maybe release a larger version at a later date.
i don't think it needs to be a PS5 handheld either, it would cost too much, probably $700+ to do that and the handheld would be huge in size

Moore's Law Is Dead says that the entire PS4 library would work with no problem but PS5 and PS6 games would need a patch, i think support from first party will be absolute, and if Sony really wants this thing to take off... they can strike deals with third party developers for handheld optimization, imagine for example being able to play something like GTA 6 on a handheld? even if it is 480p upscaled to 1080p using PSSR, it would still be a huge thing, it would increase digital adoption on PSN too, if you buy a digital copy on PSN you have access across Console, Handheld and in the future PC with Sony's PS Launcher that is already in the works, so 1 digital copy would grant you access to the game on 3 different platforms,

i think it's a very good move and if they manage to put this thing on stores for $400/$500 in 2028 i'm telling you it's gonna be a huge success, but i don't know how they would name it, if it's gonna run PS6 games, would they call it "PS6 Go" and make it mandatory for developers to support this handheld too? i think it would be intelligent to do that to count this handheld as a PS6 sale too, so they could finally surpass the 155M of the PS2 or even reach 200M+ sales cause if you think there'll be a lot of people purchasing both for playing on the TV and on the go... it would be nice to count both as the same generation just with different SKUs, example, PS5/PS5 Pro, next gen: PS6 Go, PS6 and PS6 Pro... or would they go in line of something like PS Portal 2? or PSP2? or PSVita 2? i think the name is very important, i would honestly go with something like PS6 Go, but i understand that they might not do that to not make it mandatory to ship the games on the handheld... anyway, it's gonna be really interesting to watch the next generation and how it evolves.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Man a lot of PC glazers have joined recently, Looks like it is pretty barren for them with wukong not being cracked yet. They literally have a game that launched which can put their so called high specs PC's through the paces but they come and discuss playstation games ports :ROFLMAO: 🤭
why would i play black myth wukong when visions of mana and fate/stay night recently came out

Reactions: Dr. E99
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i would die for sony to put DRM on their PC ports... they're so dumb....